Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    Moeen's fourth jug avoidance. Heroic commitment to abstention
  • Options
    Great series again. Nothing like Test cricket. I hope we get some equally good series in The Test World Cup series. I also hope it gets plenty of publicity in the media (hasn't so far!).
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO44250

New Zealand somehow subside from 50-0 and 61-1 to 90 all out! Williamson 28no, numbers 4 to 11 contribute 5 runs between them! Yasir 8-41...

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Rashid is the most frustrating bowler I have ever seen. If you watched highlights of his best deliveries he would be Warne esque. But he just bowls so much dross it's unreal. And that's why he will not dislodge despite having the attributes to be a far superior bowler.
  • Options

New Zealand somehow subside from 50-0 and 61-1 to 90 all out! Williamson 28no, numbers 4 to 11 contribute 5 runs between them! Yasir 8-41...

Pakistan include 2017 Kent player Yasir Shah
    NZ includes no former Kent players (no Matt Henry or Adam Milne who played for us in 2018)

I hope the Kiwis learn the lesson for the next match
  • Options

NZ includes no former Kent players (no Matt Henry or Adam Milne who played for us in 2018)

Tom Latham
  • Options

Rashid is the most frustrating bowler I have ever seen. If you watched highlights of his best deliveries he would be Warne esque. But he just bowls so much dross it's unreal. And that's why he will not dislodge despite having the attributes to be a far superior bowler.

That basically sums up every leg spinner, not called Warne, over the last 30 years.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That basically sums up every leg spinner, not called Warne, over the last 30 years.
    Except the one currently demolishing New Zealand!
  • Options
    And, uh, Anil Kumble
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will give you Kumble ;-)

My point still stands that leg spinners bowl more bad balls than finger spinners but also bowl more unplayable balls.

An "average" International class finger spinner will, almost always, be good, seldom great. If you picked the top 50 International spinners from the last 30 years only 5 or so leg spinners would be in it, but they would all be in the top 10.
  • Options

Tom Latham
    Played for Durham last season, and lost his Kentness as a result :smile:
  • Options
    Kumble was an unusual bowler, one of the most "boring" leg spinners ever in some ways, in that he was really accurate and a constant threat, but didn't bowl the magic balls you associate with leg spinners
  • Options
    Wasn't Kumble a top spinner rather than a leg spinner though? He was of course a wrist spinner
  • Options
    Incidentally does anyone know if dikwela is related to Keith the old mill wall player?
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Incidentally does anyone know if dikwela is related to Keith the old mill wall player?

That one will probably go over the heads of those not of a certain vintage. I prefer to remember Keith as a Leicester player in the same side as the likes of Alan Birchenall and our very own Len Glover. Sadly he passed away over a decade ago.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

St Lucia looks lovely.

I better be i ll

lolwray said:

That one will probably go over the heads of those not of a certain vintage. I prefer to remember Keith as a Leicester player in the same side as the likes of Alan Birchenall and our very own Len Glover. Sadly he passed away over a decade ago.
    I remember Frank Worthington in that side too
  • Options

lolwray said:

Did he wear the tights?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

lolwray said:

Did he wear the tights?
    Yes he did. In the days when they played with snow on the pitch and orange balls!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Wasn't Kumble a top spinner rather than a leg spinner though? He was of course a wrist spinner

Yep - Kumble barely bowled a leg-break in his career he wasn't that far off being a slow-medium bowler.

Great bowler but not really a leg-spinner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strong rumours going around that the only change to the squad for the Windies tour will be Roy for Denly.

That will make the Kent boys mad! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Options
    Although to be fair it's not a change I would make. I don't like Roy above 4 in the longer format even in county cricket so not sure how they see him as an option in the top 3 for tests.
  • Options
    Can't understand why Joe Clarke isn't given a go really, liked what i have seen of him
  • Options

Strong rumours going around that the only change to the squad for the Windies tour will be Roy for Denly.

That will make the Kent boys mad! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Denly was never going to be the solution to the top 3 problem, he only went to Sri Lanker because he can bowl. I don't think Roy is the answer either, we will end up with Buttler opening sooner or later.
  • Options
    I think Roy has the talent to make it in Test cricket and am surprised he hasnโ€™t been given a chance yet.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think Roy has the talent to make it in Test cricket and am surprised he hasnโ€™t been given a chance yet.

Talent, undoubtedly. But the role he is best at (batting 5/6) has huge competition and multiple players ahead of him in the pecking order. Not the solution at 3 or opening
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

To a degree yes I agree. My point was that I believe he has the talent but not the application. Rashid won't ever force his way past Ali, a batsman who bowls half decent off spin. He has the talent IMO but just doesn't do it enough in tests.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Exciting times. Surely favourites for the World Cup now!
  • Options

Riviera said:
    Exciting times. Surely favourites for the World Cup now!
    We are already in view of the fact we are ranked no 1 and playing at home.
    Not sure Archer has excelled at anything other than 20 over stuff so far?