Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    Unless the next pitch is significantly different, I can't see any reason to change the balance of the team.

Moeen shouldn't be at 3, but the only realistic answer is for Root to man up and play 3 himself. He's not facing Starc and Cummings. Unless they replace Rashid with Denly and play him at 3, but that would be very harsh on Rashid

Simon Hughes on the BBC also didn't seem convinced by Burns against the spinners, but to drop him after 1 match would be wrong, and smack too much of "jobs for the boys"
  • Options
    I'd probably go with Bairstow for Rashid, given Stokes' decent showing with the ball, and I'd also consider bringing in Stone for Burns, but that'd be a less certain one
  • Options

Unless the next pitch is significantly different, I can't see any reason to change the balance of the team.

Moeen shouldn't be at 3, but the only realistic answer is for Root to man up and play 3 himself. He's not facing Starc and Cummings. Unless they replace Rashid with Denly and play him at 3, but that would be very harsh on Rashid

Simon Hughes on the BBC also didn't seem convinced by Burns against the spinners, but to drop him after 1 match would be wrong, and smack too much of "jobs for the boys"

But if Root moves to 3, everyone else shifts up one and that isn't a long term solution.

"Dropping" Curran is purely to allow Bairstow to see if he can make the no. 3 spot his own because we don't have anyone who is either good enough or willing to do it. I have no doubt that Curran will become a fixture but would be rested to facilitate an established top 6 or 7 for when we do have to play the stronger sides.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'd probably go with Bairstow for Rashid, given Stokes' decent showing with the ball, and I'd also consider bringing in Stone for Burns, but that'd be a less certain one

And if you do both of those, who opens and who bats at 3?
  • Options
    Is there nothing to be said for naming an unchanged side? We won, and very convincingly so? Unless there are injuries I'm ignorant about?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Is there nothing to be said for naming an unchanged side? We won, and very convincingly so? Unless there are injuries I'm ignorant about?

Unless the conditions are drastically different we should go for the same
  • Options
    I would also keep an unchanged team, Burns has to be given a few test matches, and Moeen is a very good number 3 in county cricket and Sam Curran had a very important partnership with Ben Foakes in the first innings.
  • Options
    Ali has now batted 14 times in the top 3 and scored the grand total of 191 runs at an average of 14.25. When he bats at 7 he averages 44.9 from 23 innings. He has had his chances and is simply not a no. 3 against the best Test playing nations but is a revelation when batting at 7.
  • Options
    b
    Leuth said:

Oh wait I forget if it's you or The President who reckons Rashid is England's number 1 spinner

Never really rated him tbh - however, he has shown a marked improvement this last year or so, especially in limited-overs.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Be a little bit unfair on Burns dropping him after 1 test, especially with all the chances that Jennings has been given.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think Sri Lanka have now slipped behind Bangladesh which is a shame for them, only going to be weaker in the next game too, without Herath & the injuries

That's the Bangladesh who've just lost at home to Zimbabwe...

Though it's definitely true that this Sri Lanka side is nowhere near the team of years gone by.
  • Options

But if Root moves to 3, everyone else shifts up one and that isn't a long term solution.

"Dropping" Curran is purely to allow Bairstow to see if he can make the no. 3 spot his own because we don't have anyone who is either good enough or willing to do it. I have no doubt that Curran will become a fixture but would be rested to facilitate an established top 6 or 7 for when we do have to play the stronger sides.
    Not ideal but I'd rather Root at 3 and Stokes at 4, seeing that he's not bowling much this series, only 12 overs in the entire match. Buttler or Moeen at 5.

Bairstow is no more a number 3 than Moeen.
  • Options

Not ideal but I'd rather Root at 3 and Stokes at 4, seeing that he's not bowling much this series, only 12 overs in the entire match. Buttler or Moeen at 5.

Bairstow is no more a number 3 than Moeen.
    Possibly not - but Moeen has been given any number of opportunities whereas Bairstow has never batted higher than 4 in Test cricket.
  • Options

Ali has now batted 14 times in the top 3 and scored the grand total of 191 runs at an average of 14.25. When he bats at 7 he averages 44.9 from 23 innings. He has had his chances and is simply not a no. 3 against the best Test playing nations but is a revelation when batting at 7.

Moeen batting at no.4 has an average of 51.20, with a highest score of 146
  • Options

Moeen batting at no.4 has an average of 51.20, with a highest score of 146
    From a sample of 5 innings. The 146 was against India in an innings where Dawson made 60* and Rashid made 66. India replied with 759-7.

• Options
    Re Bairstow

He's more of a strokeplayer than the current openers and also be a foil as a right hander ...true he hasn't batted that high before but maybe put him in at 3

If the rumours are true that he is fussy about his place in the order or keeping then don't pick him ..playing for England is honour enough..

If there is a change to be made then moeen at 8 in for curran and bairstow at 3 but bearing in mind the application foakes and Jennings showed..ie the virtues of test match batting on the subcontinent then I really wd be happy to have same again
  • Options
    Why has he been ignored Canters? Was there a belief he wasnt good enough through the age groups, or just a late developer?
  • Options

Why has he been ignored Canters? Was there a belief he wasnt good enough through the age groups, or just a late developer?

I believe I read that Burns was a relatively late developer in that he only really really started to show his worth once he reached University age. He played for both Surrey and Hants 2nd X1s before he played a first team game and didn't actually play in the CC until he was almost 22 - all this would explain why he missed out with the U19s but not why he was ignored for the Lions although I suspect a bit of it was probably due to him not already being "in the pathway system".
  • Options

It's the selectors not liking Surrey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I believe I read that Burns was a relatively late developer in that he only really really started to show his worth once he reached University age. He played for both Surrey and Hants 2nd X1s before he played a first team game and didn't actually play in the CC until he was almost 22 - all this would explain why he missed out with the U19s but not why he was ignored for the Lions although I suspect a bit of it was probably due to him not already being "in the pathway system".
    As said here a bit of both. Was a pretty big disgrace that his first lions call up was this year given his weight of runs..
  • Options
    You can't really drop anyone after one test when their dismissals were strangled down leg and run out. Rashid is the only one whose place should be under threat.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

You can't really drop anyone after one test when their dismissals were strangled down leg and run out. Rashid is the only one whose place should be under threat.

Assuming the pitch is similar I would absolutely not change any of the spinners. The 3 of them worked well together and complemented each other well. Unless we want an extra quick bowler I wouldn't touch anything.
  • Options
    I thought Joe Root captained the team very well, I have not always been a fan of Joe as captain, but I thought he handled the bowlers well
  • Options

I thought Joe Root captained the team very well, I have not always been a fan of Joe as captain, but I thought he handled the bowlers well

Yes agreed. There were a few criticisms of his 'conservative' field placings, but I think that's just fans being desperate for wickets now. Having a man on the boundary if it's cutting out a batsmans 'get out shot' is essential to building pressure. In general I'd say root got everything spot on.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Leuth said:

Assuming the pitch is similar I would absolutely not change any of the spinners. The 3 of them worked well together and complemented each other well. Unless we want an extra quick bowler I wouldn't touch anything.
    Agree, cant see how you drop anyone after that performance. It might also give the selectors the opportunity to let Bairstow know that 1) he aint the best keeper in England and 2) If he wants to come back into the team then he isnt a shoe-in and may need to bat where the selectors want him to bat.
    I only saw the highlights, but Foakes was very impressive with the gloves.
  • Options
    Excellent four days at Galle Cricket club. After initial worry about getting tickets managed to spend 3 days actually in the Galle Cricket club section. Many others locked out though but could watch from afar from the fort.
    Good also to meet and have a drink or three with Bangkok Addick.
    Fair few Addicks scattered around.
  • Options
    Ollie Pope will leave SL on Wednesday to go and play for the Lions in Dubai in an unofficial Test against Pakistan A plus ODIs and T20s too returning to England on 9th December. He will then rejoin the England party in the West Indies.
  • Options
    Jennings
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Curran
    Stone
    Leach
    Anderson

Harsh on Burns but Bairstow, bar a dry spell last summer, has been good for 2.5 years
  • Options
    Just got back from a cracking week. Cricket was excellent. Sorry I didn’t get round to meet you Redman.
    redman said:

Excellent four days at Galle Cricket club. After initial worry about getting tickets managed to spend 3 days actually in the Galle Cricket club section. Many others locked out though but could watch from afar from the fort.
    Good also to meet and have a drink or three with Bangkok Addick.
    Fair few Addicks scattered around.