Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Last minute, unplanned trip to Vienna for 3 nights next week coming up. Any tips or must see/visit/avoids?
    A beautiful city but the people are obnoxious and rude. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Last minute, unplanned trip to Vienna for 3 nights next week coming up. Any tips or must see/visit/avoids?
    German speaking city people being typical German speaking city people shocker.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:
    Incredible, because the last time I checked, Vienna is in Austria and nothing to do with Germany.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:

That's funny, I have been to Germany many, many times and have found them to be wonderful, helpful and hospitable people.

We were in Munich last summer for the World Cup and the atmosphere was fantastic and the people wonderful.
    I can only second that. Never met a rude or obnoxious German, here in the UK and abroad.

I was in Frankfurt last month and everyone was helpful including both Mainz and Schalke fans when they were all drinking and singing at main stations. No one treated us any differently because we were tourists and English.
  • Options
    Did Vienna 3 years ago for the Christmas markets mate. It's a lovely city with a really good 'underground' network to get about. Saying that, you can walk around and see most of the sights.

We also got the train to Salzburg for the day. Hour and a half (or so) journey for 20 odd euros. The old town there is beautiful. Not sure you'll have time for that though.

Enjoy anyway.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Really? Guess I must have got them on a good day then! Mind you, I can get by with my German. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:

That's funny, I have been to Germany many, many times and have found them to be wonderful, helpful and hospitable people.

We were in Munich last summer for the World Cup and the atmosphere was fantastic and the people wonderful.
    I can only second that. Never met a rude or obnoxious German, here in the UK and abroad.

I was in Frankfurt last month and everyone was helpful including both Mainz and Schalke fans when they were all drinking and singing at main stations. No one treated us any differently because we were tourists and English.
    Lived in Germany for 5 years and the 'rude, obnoxious Germans' thing is a complete fallacy! Treat them as you'd like to be treated and they're a delight and it was a fantastic country to live in. I think sometimes us 'Brits' need to have a look at ourselves and our attitude toward 'foreign' folk. 
  • Options
    I can speak German and I was not referring to German people or the general Austrian population. Just the People in Vienna. It’s a general complaint from most tourist in the city and mentioned in travel books (also shared by many of my friends). I’ve also experienced it on several occasions in Vienna and not elsewhere either in Germany or other parts of Austria. Shame as it’s a beautiful city. 
  • Options
    Lovely city........especially if you like the smell of horse shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thinking about Gibraltar, just to tick a box before it’s lost post-brexit....
  • Options
    Du to go to Philadelphia in October for a couple of book signings and to see friends. Checked out a Youtube post last night - certain areas (especially the West side) look appalling. High crime rate, thousands on welfare. The reporter was blaming corruption by leading Democrats - some of whom are now serving time in Federal prison. Politicians the World over I suppose.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Du to go to Philadelphia in October for a couple of book signings and to see friends. Checked out a Youtube post last night - certain areas (especially the West side) look appalling. High crime rate, thousands on welfare. The reporter was blaming corruption by leading Democrats - some of whom are now serving time in Federal prison. Politicians the World over I suppose.
    Ive got lots of mates from College that live in Philly. I would certainly say some parts of the city are 'out of bounds' for tourists unless accompanied by locals, but the main street areas etc are great and the people are some of the nicest you'll meet, especially when they hear the accent. Make sure you check out Gino's for a cheese steak.
  • Options
    Planning to take the boat across from southern Spain to Morocco and travel round there a bit in Easter. Anyone on here been to Tangier or Chefchaouen?
    Went to Tangier back in the mid 90's. Travelled from there for three weeks around Morocco.....fantastic country but some of the locals could be a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:
    Incredible, because the last time I checked, Vienna is in Austria and nothing to do with Germany.
    You know... Except the language... Which is what I was referring to. 

When I visited Berlin, the people I met often seemed rude.
    When I visited Salzberg, they also often seemed rude.
    When I visited Munich, they often seemed rude too. 

Therefore for me the 3 German speaking cities I have visited, despite being in different countries had the same issues. 

It's simply that the German language is often seen as brash, rude or bolshie. 

I took no offence to how they spoke to me, but I did find it grating by the time I left the third city. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Fumbluff said:
    Thinking about Gibraltar, just to tick a box before it’s lost post-brexit....
    We go once a year for 4 nights. Good if you like history and a bit of rest and relaxation. The Rock hotel is our favourite but the Sunborn is good too.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:
    You know... Except the language... Which is what I was referring to. 

When I visited Berlin, the people I met often seemed rude.
    When I visited Salzberg, they also often seemed rude.
    When I visited Munich, they often seemed rude too. 

Therefore for me the 3 German speaking cities I have visited, despite being in different countries had the same issues. 

It's simply that the German language is often seen as brash, rude or bolshie. 

I took no offence to how they spoke to me, but I did find it grating by the time I left the third city. 
    It's just the language/way they speak.  I remember going into a German bar in Matala (Crete) and the guvnor simply saying to us...''What do you want'' it came over as being quite rude though quite amusing at the same time.  Anyway turns out that he was a very friendly bloke who happily gave us free shots of schnapps after a few beers and wines. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Ive got lots of mates from College that live in Philly. I would certainly say some parts of the city are 'out of bounds' for tourists unless accompanied by locals, but the main street areas etc are great and the people are some of the nicest you'll meet, especially when they hear the accent. Make sure you check out Gino's for a cheese steak.

Nice to know, thanks for the 'heads up' Gary.  I do love a Philly Cheesesteak so will make point of finding Gino's!
  • Options
    Interesting points about the German language making people sound brash or rude. It is certainly harsh and guttural sounding but it's worth pointing out that to many people of Romance language countries (Spain,France, Italy, etc.) English sounds equally harsh - it is a Germanic language after all and they often think English speakers sound similarly brash.
  • Options
    Anyone been to Great Barrier Reef? After watching the latest Attenborough series, I think I’ll try and visit this year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had a few days in Berlin. Gerrys perfectly pleasant bunch. In fact I found them not much different to us except the language.

Great capital for history. That Olympic stadium, although designed by evil, is something else and I felt glad they'd kept it and not bull dozed it.  And the Commie east side - felt like much of it probably hadn't changed much since '89, even Alexanderplatz, that was like Elephant and Castle in a lot of ways!