Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Easy Jet And Other Airlines

Comments

• Options
    Can only really comment on short flights, only been long haul three times in my life. And can only comment on economy as I have never been in any other class.

BA used to be great, we were happy to pay the bit extra for seeing the price upfront, with no hidden charges to add, a bite to eat on board and a drink (or two). Generous luggage allowance too. Now they are the same as Easyjet and Ryanair more or less, but still £30+ a seat dearer before you add luggage, it's not worth it.

The continual fucking about with cabin baggage sizes/allowances on the two budget carriers gets on my tits, and the policy of sitting people apart to (try to) force you to pay the extra to be seated together is a pain when everyone has to get up after take off and swop seats...

This priority boarding is a bit of a joke too. A friend took a flight recently and basically everyone had paid for it, so no-one was any better off, and those who were later in the queue were still forced to put their cabin bags in the hold because the luggage lockers were full.
  • Options
    Only ever had one delay with EasyJet and that was due to electrical storms all over Europe that weekend. Only 2 hours in the end and we were in a lounge, so not exactly a hardship.

Must admit that I don’t even check RyanAir, but have started using Norwegian when I can. Great experiences so far and better planes than most of the “big boys”.
  • Options

Never had any issues flying with either EasyJet or Ryanair despite the bad reviews both get (I sometimes wonder if people expect luxury with these budget airlines and dont like the reality of what they provide)...

Only different between the two is the fact that one has blue seats - Honestly find them both better than British Airways who are a joke of a National Carrier in my opinion

Ive heard very good things about Norwegian Air Shuttle and would use them if they went to a destination I was planning on visiting

Beg to differ. I have flown with 'Squeezyjet' many times and have had some bad experiences, including one cancelled flight (which cost us a day's holiday and the cost of a taxi transfer) and a couple where there were long delays - I'm talking three hours or more. You have been lucky!

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Our Norwegian flight didn't go well
    They lost the plane for 2 hours, then then told us to hurry down to gate * as the plane was boarding.
    Got to gate for them to tell us there is no plane and they are now throwing us out.
    This was met with a reply of you f@cking w#nkers by me as on the way to gate had said to the wife somethings not right.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Wizz air is the way to go.............providing they go to your destination

Except their new policy is to deliberately split up couples/ families who don't pay extra for specific seats.

Bizarrely located my partner to the back of the plane, in a row with 4 empty seats, in a half full plane.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Never had any issues flying with either EasyJet or Ryanair despite the bad reviews both get (I sometimes wonder if people expect luxury with these budget airlines and dont like the reality of what they provide)...

Only different between the two is the fact that one has blue seats - Honestly find them both better than British Airways who are a joke of a National Carrier in my opinion

Ive heard very good things about Norwegian Air Shuttle and would use them if they went to a destination I was planning on visiting

Beg to differ. I have flown with 'Squeezyjet' many times and have had some bad experiences, including one cancelled flight (which cost us a day's holiday and the cost of a taxi transfer) and a couple where there were long delays - I'm talking three hours or more. You have been lucky!
    I've had long delays (yup up to three hours) with all Airlines that I've flown though from EasyJet to Southwest Airlines to Singapore Airlines, honestly just see it as part n parcel that things can go wrong as they're computers at the end of the day - Thankfully though never had any cancellations although did come close a few years ago in Paris with EasyJet due to snow
  • Options
    Brilliant, Mr. M.
  • Options
    other week flew from stansted to derry in a tiny little bmi regional was fantastic only 32 of us on the flight 2 seats to a row with aisle up the middle, packet of crisps and a can of brewdog during flight complimentary bags are dumped on runway other side - so no waiting around was brilliant also as it could not fly at the heights of most planes some fantastic views.
  • Options
    sign up to jack's flight club mailing list, he comes up with really good deals around the world.

https://www.jacksflightclub.co.uk/

Think he has a premium service too which you pay a small subscription to iirc and get much shorter turnaround deals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also don't forget to use cashback websites
  • Options
    I think the first thing to say is that generally us older people are less forgiving than younger people. Worth bearing in mind when considering comments here. For example nowadays having to go to the plane on a bus, when the airport has airlifts, pisses me off. Others may not give it a thought.

I generally only fly short haul and generally from Prague where the airline choices are less, but I experienced Norwegian early on and agree with the positive comments above.

If you feel you have a good perspective on the attitude of management of the airline, this might be a good indicator, although whether you really have an insight is another matter. Think it has held me in good stead generally though. Vowed never to fly Ryannair, and nothing I have heard changed my mind. Easyjet a fair bit better IME. Czech Airlines were OK once, but I know a lot about their current management, and only use them when there is no choice. Similarly Wizz Air, sorry.

I am a BA loyalist, still. Unfortunately the current Spanish CEO is doing his best to mess it all up, not surprising when he came from Veuling. As in all areas of business, any idiot can cut costs. But I still find the inflight crew demonstrably better than the budget alternatives. and generally I get sense out of their customer service via Twitter. My big tip is their City Flyer out of London City. It's a different business unit, and at least up to earlier this year, retain their own catering model. If you are an old git who wants comfort, be sure to check out the cost of a biz class ticket. And if you buy, and the plane is an Embraer 190, be sure to select seats 2C or 2D. There is so much legroom, you could have a kickaround. And for lunch you typically get an hors d'oeuvre, a mean crayfish salad, and a scone with clotted cream. Last time as we did a final breathtaking twirl around the Shard, i thought the flight was as near to the private jet experience as i will ever have. But Alex Cruz is threatening to stop all this customer comes first nonsense on City Flyer, so don't blame me if you book Club and all you get is a wrap.
  • Options

On the subject of bad flight experiences, I was on an Afghan Airlines flight from Kabul to Istanbul. The plane was a very old and retired Air India A300 that had been resurrected by Afghan Airlines. The whole plane creaked and rattled with the overhead lockers visibly vibrating. Rather carelessly I tasted the delights of the in flight catering. This gave me a very bad case of diarrhea. I went to the toilet, but the door did not lock. While I was sat there the smoke alarm went off for some reason and the flight crew came to investigate. I ended up trying to keep myself over the toilet while jamming my foot against the door and shouting loudly (over all the creaks and groans of the plane) that I was not smoking!! Farcical now, but not funny at the time.

On another flight from Dubai to Kabul the rather cheerful pilot announced that he had good news and bad news. "The bad news is that one of the engines has stopped, the good news is we can get as far as Kandahar". Everyone on the plane has the same thought at the same time. Under any circumstances, going to Kandahar is never good news.

There was another thread about bad flight experiences, reckon this would have made the top 5 :-)

• Options
    On my last flight in an Air Italia 737, the plane had hair under the wings where it joined the fuselage.
  • Options
    So Ryanair have come up with a new problem which is that they are changing reservation systems, which will mean you cannot check in tomorrow or Thursday. Even if your flight is tomorrow or Thursday. Great!

https://gtm.uk.com/ryanair-07-08-nov-important-customer-information-reservation-system-upgrade/
  • Options
    RyanAir are terrible, Easyjet are great have flown with them 15-20 times this year. The odd delay, but cant fault otherwise
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

RyanAir are terrible, Easyjet are great have flown with them 15-20 times this year. The odd delay, but cant fault otherwise

This. Never had a problem, yet.
    Also just booked two return flights, for me and the present Mrs Greenie to Malaga with Sleazy Jet for next July, £16 each outward, £40 each return.
    Staying at a mates villa for free, mega cheap holiday.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    To be fair, have used Ryanair a few times recently and they have been reliable, on time and easy to use. Jet 2 and EuroWings also quite good. Haven't used EasyJet recently. I think the best rule with budget airlines is make sure you are well prepared and know their rules and its fine. They want to get you on quick, get you there quick, and get you off quick which suits me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    flew return with easyjet to arrecife last week, was not there fault a passenger fell down the stairs and injured himself so the plane could not take off.
  • Options
    Generally find all budget airlines fine, do get the feeling that Ryanair treat you a bit more like pond life but as long as they drop me off in a far corner of Europe for £30-odd-quid relatively on time I'm happy enough. Interestingly, a friend who worked for a budget airline told me that apparently they make a lot more money off the mark-up on car hire etc., very little on actual flights.

Has anyone used IcelandAir by the way? Seems like they they're similar to Norweigan in that they operate a lot of budget (often indirect) long haul flights to North America and are coming out really cheap at the moment.

Finally... whilst looking I saw that even BA are coming out as without bags & food on long haul flights on Skyscanner. I expected it with Norweigan/IcelandAir and a couple of others but not with them, is that normal?!
  • Options

Generally find all budget airlines fine, do get the feeling that Ryanair treat you a bit more like pond life but as long as they drop me off in a far corner of Europe for £30-odd-quid relatively on time I'm happy enough. Interestingly, a friend who worked for a budget airline told me that apparently they make a lot more money off the mark-up on car hire etc., very little on actual flights.

Has anyone used IcelandAir by the way? Seems like they they're similar to Norweigan in that they operate a lot of budget (often indirect) long haul flights to North America and are coming out really cheap at the moment.

Finally... whilst looking I saw that even BA are coming out as without bags & food on long haul flights on Skyscanner. I expected it with Norweigan/IcelandAir and a couple of others but not with them, is that normal?!

I did the car hire through them once - it isn't cheaper and definitely more expensive if you are willing to shop around. Also there is a bigger queue for your car as everybody else from your flight is using the same hire company when those next door are empty!
  • Options
    Last couple of years BA quote you two prices for economy, i.e. hand luggage only or one item in the hold.

Recently BA have stopped doing food in economy on European flights and you can buy M&S stuff on board.
  • Options
    We usually go in the V.I.P. lounge and eat the food there. Food on the plane is rubbish! I prefer to buy a bottle of chilled diet coke in Smiths and take it on board to drink , better than a warm baby can that costs the same!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If you’re making short flights round Europe you may as well do it on the cheap. I’ve booked about 30 Easy Jet flights over the past 3 years or so (my son worked abroad for a year) for various members of my family, Germany, Spain, Turkey and Canary Isles and not had one issue.
    However I wouldn’t touch Ryanair with a barge pole.
    Used Virgin over BA to fly to USA and Caribbean as they’ve never let me down and were cheaper than BA the first time I booked trans-Atlantic.
    However I’m currently in dispute with Virgin over non existing upgrade I bid for and paid for on my flight out here last week.
    End of the day if you’re flying Economy they’re all much of a muchness and someone has always got a good or bad experience to tell about all airlines/hotels/pubs/restaurants/ etc etc

Got my money back and 150,000 Virgin Air Miles as compensation.

• Options
    I don't fly that much, but when I do, its usually with budget airlines. The only issue I've encountered is with Easyjet: we had boarded the flight but did not depart for over an hour. Apart from that, I'm happy enough to use Easyjet.

I've also used Ryanair, and I've never had any issues with them, but I do try to avoid flying Ryanair where possible.

I'm not to sure if Aer Lingus and British Airways (European flights) would be considered budget, but I would recommened flying with them if possible. Just be careful giving your card details to BA, as they have a tendency of losing them.
  • Options
    Done most budget airlines.
    From my experience Ryanair is the worst.
    Norwegian probably the best.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

CAFCsayer said:

This. Never had a problem, yet.
    Also just booked two return flights, for me and the present Mrs Greenie to Malaga with Sleazy Jet for next July, £16 each outward, £40 each return.
    Staying at a mates villa for free, mega cheap holiday.
    Good luck at Malaga, went to that airport about a month ago, terrible organisation, waited an hour for my suitcase to come off the plane. When coming home, very few announcements, get to your gate early. Do not expect to takeoff on time. Just hope you have better luck than me, personally, I would never go to Malaga again