Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeremy Sarmiento (former U18 rising star) - now with Brighton (p6)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    He has a YouTube channel where his highlights have been uploaded, which is pretty normal. What's a bit strange is that the video titles are written in Portuguese.

Perhaps it's the lad's preferred language, or perhaps they were sending them out to Portuguese clubs as long as 11 months ago.

Jeremy camiseta 16, gol en el segundo 42
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He has a YouTube channel where his highlights have been uploaded, which is pretty normal. What's a bit strange is that the video titles are written in Portuguese.

Perhaps it's the lad's preferred language, or perhaps they were sending them out to Portuguese clubs as long as 11 months ago.

That’s Spanish, rather then Portuguese, probably reflecting his Ecuadorean heritage. Not sure of where the Ecuador comes from in his background, or if he has relatives there but posting the video could just be a way for relatives over there to see him play
  • Options
    I don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here but I’ve not seen it... the lad’s 16 years of age. He has just signed for another club. He may have even turned down the opportunity of a scholarship with us knowing a big club would come sniffing. He wasn’t in the handbook at the start of the season. There’s a big chance they’ve just picked him up on a free... no fee. No sell on clause. Nothing.

At least the likes of Gomez/Lookman/Cousins etc have all gone for a fee with time left on their contract.
  • Options

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here but I’ve not seen it... the lad’s 16 years of age. He has just signed for another club. He may have even turned down the opportunity of a scholarship with us knowing a big club would come sniffing. He wasn’t in the handbook at the start of the season. There’s a big chance they’ve just picked him up on a free... no fee. No sell on clause. Nothing.

At least the likes of Gomez/Lookman/Cousins etc have all gone for a fee with time left on their contract.

Has to be a fee of some kind
    Due to his age we are due comp
  • Options

Is that not an FA initiative as opposed to a UEFA initiative?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I am SURE one reason he left is because of the chaos of our ownership situation. What rational kid would want to stay here when you cannot even drink bottled water?
  • Options

Chunes said:

That’s Spanish, rather then Portuguese, probably reflecting his Ecuadorean heritage. Not sure of where the Ecuador comes from in his background, or if he has relatives there but posting the video could just be a way for relatives over there to see him play
    How strange. Google translate gives the same translation for Spanish and Portuguese.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He speaks Spanish (not Portuguese ffs) as his family language. I love the hypocrisy of Charlton fans “I knew nothing of this boy, but now I do and I’m angry”.

Again, football fans expecting undying loyalty from 16 year olds should meet themselves.
  • Options

I am SURE one reason he left is because of the chaos of our ownership situation. What rational kid would want to stay here when you cannot even drink bottled water?

I doubt that was a consideration, compared to the money they were offering . And glamour/lifestyle etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

He was born in Spain and lived there as a kid
  • Options
    I thought u get nowt if they go abroad
  • Options
    Perhaps when we didn't name a full bench for the first 2-3 games of the season it would have been good to throw him on there to give him just a little taste of the senior set up...
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Perhaps when we didn't name a full bench for the first 2-3 games of the season it would have been good to throw him on there to give him just a little taste of the senior set up...

the Eurosport video also said he's had trials with Bayern Munich

Was he even part of any Charlton XI friendlies over the summer as if not I wouldnt be surprised if he'd already "gone" by the time pre-season began ... With the likes of Doughty and Shelvey (in the past) being involved in Pre-Season friendlies from a young age I was surprised that Sarmiento wasnt even being utilisied for the Welling or Dulwich games
  • Options
    Believe he scored away at Eastbourne Borough for a Charlton XI if I recall correctly
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Believe he scored away at Eastbourne Borough for a Charlton XI if I recall correctly

Yes your right having done a search on here... Apparently controlled the game when he came on
  • Options

se9addick said:

Chunes said:

He speaks Spanish (not Portuguese ffs) as his family language. I love the hypocrisy of Charlton fans “I knew nothing of this boy, but now I do and I’m angry”.

Again, football fans expecting undying loyalty from 16 year olds should meet themselves.
    For most of us on here, we’d never heard of him before and, I suspect now he’s gone to benfica, it’s even possible we’ll never hear of him again but it’s not so much as ‘anger’ as something that is worthy of looking at the whys and wherefores by everybody that’s got an opinion or viewpoint. The youth set up at charlton has served us well and anything that threatens it needs looking into
    Correct, so direct your anger accordingly. Again, like the Bowyer “permanent appointment” I’m astonished at our fans missing the big picture, slagging off a 16 year old whilst a multi millionaire withholds breakfast for minors in our care is, frankly, insane.

Good luck to the lad, he deserves better than us.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I thought u get nowt if they go abroad

Who is 'nowt' is that a fair swap? Can he play on the wing?
  • Options
    I was told in Dublin (summer 17) he was destined for greatness and that holding on to him was going to be very tough. That was when he was 14 years old.

Everything I have read about him since confirmed he’s a special talent.

Shame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We might get a new set of shirts like Crockenhill did when Tony Cascarino went to Millwall.

That's the way big clubs treat little clubs.
  • Options
    We never keep any good young talent for long.
  • Options

I doubt that was a consideration, compared to the money they were offering . And glamour/lifestyle etc
    And a lifetime as a backup who will probably never start a game, like most kids. Top clubs rarely promote from within. A lot less than lesser clubs.
  • Options
    Sean McGinty went through the Academy, "transfers to Man U" we got just over a 1mil if i remember rightly. Ends up being the last player shown the door by Ferguson. Leaving for a "Bigger" club doesn't always work out for the lad. Now playing for Partick Thistle i think.

• Options

And a lifetime as a backup who will probably never start a game, like most kids. Top clubs rarely promote from within. A lot less than lesser clubs.
    In all fairness don't think Benfica is a bad move for him.

Agree with the general rule but Benfica and Chelsea are two entirely different moves. I don't blame him one bit

But I agree that picking up players for nothing or next to nothing is completely unfair on the club who develop the player and needs to change. But I doubt it will.
  • Options
    My philosophy is you can’t miss what you haven’t had. He might have been one for the future, or he might not. Only time will tell
  • Options

Sean McGinty went through the Academy, "transfers to Man U" we got just over a 1mil if i remember rightly. Ends up being the last player shown the door by Ferguson. Leaving for a "Bigger" club doesn't always work out for the lad. Now playing for Partick Thistle i think.

He has personal issues
  • Options
    A great shame, but at least he can now hopefully get bottled water and a decent haircut!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Chunes said:

I'm not the slightest bit angry. I'd never heard of the kid and how many great youth players do finally make the grade? What about those Ivorians everyone was losing their minds over years ago? Have a word with yourself