Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeremy Sarmiento (former U18 rising star) - now with Brighton (p6)

Comments

• Options
    Agree but didn't we 'poach'Lookman
  • Options

Seriously though if that meant the other club got 1 million when we sold him for 11 million I would not have a problem with that.
  • Options

Seriously though if that meant the other club got 1 million when we sold him for 11 million I would not have a problem with that.
    Under blackpool72's suggestion, above, they'd have got £5,500,000.
  • Options
    Yep.
    If a young lad joins charltons academy at say 8 years of age and we spend the next 8 years developing him I believe that if he is poached at 16 we should receive 1 million compensation.
    If the club who poached the player refuses to pay that amount then they pay 50 %of any sell on fee.
    Most clubs would not be prepared to take that risk so we would get 1 million. I realise that in Lookmans case we were the poaching club but my point stands.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Along with losing Alex Willis for nowt this is bad news for the Academy.

In fact, the only good news about it is that it's bad news for Roland.

Where did he go?
  • Options
    Wait, many people celebrate not buying a £5 pint to deprive RD. Surely we should be celebrating?
  • Options

Yep.
    If a young lad joins charltons academy at say 8 years of age and we spend the next 8 years developing him I believe that if he is poached at 16 we should receive 1 million compensation.
    If the club who poached the player refuses to pay that amount then they pay 50 %of any sell on fee.
    Most clubs would not be prepared to take that risk so we would get 1 million. I realise that in Lookmans case we were the poaching club but my point stands.

Were we though?

Waterloo have no pretensions to be a professional club to the best of my knowledge although I stand to be corrected on that.
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Where did he go?
    America.

No idea whats happened to him in the last 6 months tho as I cant find anything online
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Yep.

Were we though?

Waterloo have no pretensions to be a professional club to the best of my knowledge although I stand to be corrected on that.
    I have no idea.
    I was merely responding to a previous poster who said we did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Vincenzo said:

Where did he go?
    America.

No idea whats happened to him in the last 6 months tho as I cant find anything online
    https://mobile.twitter.com/__alexwillis
  • Options

Does that mention 6 million?

It says his market value is £6 mlion.

We probably got a few hundred thousand in comp if we were lucky
    We can dig a new trench with that!
  • Options

My main gripe about the way football is today is that it is all in favour of the biggest clubs.
    Be it money from sky
    The poaching of young players
    Or anything else.
    It pisses me off that the money at the top does not filter down the footballing pyramid and until rule changes are made it never will.
    Kill football off at grassroots level and you kill football full stop.

And that’s why we won’t see rules change and bigger compensation. The FA want the best young players training at big clubs who should have the best managers, coaches, facilities etc.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

My main gripe about the way football is today is that it is all in favour of the biggest clubs.
    Be it money from sky
    The poaching of young players
    Or anything else.
    It pisses me off that the money at the top does not filter down the footballing pyramid and until rule changes are made it never will.
    Kill football off at grassroots level and you kill football full stop.

And that’s why we won’t see rules change and bigger compensation. The FA want the best young players training at big clubs who should have the best managers, coaches, facilities etc.
    I know that and I agree with you.
    I'm just saying it's wrong.
  • Options
    Alex Willis appears to have continued his good scoring in America

Hopefully see him in the MLS soon

https://nkunorse.com/news/2018/9/4/mens-soccer-united-soccer-coaches-tabs-nkunorsemsocs-alex-willis-as-player-of-the-week.aspx
  • Options
    Considering he was banging in goals for our youth team he must be playing at a level way beneath what he's used to
  • Options
    Great, any chance of sale is even more dead. Roland will want to keep the money here.
  • Options

Great, any chance of sale is even more dead. Roland will want to keep the money here.

What money?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Considering he was banging in goals for our youth team he must be playing at a level way beneath what he's used to

Was gonna say that, if he had stayed he could easily have started the season with the 1st team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back here just to say wtf is a startlet
  • Options
    it will interesting to see what progress his career makes in comparison to those at his current level in the club that stay at charlton and get into the first team here. Didn’t do any harm to the likes of Gomez and Lookman and i suspect one or two or more of the current crop that have made the breakthrough could be looking at similar rosy futures.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PopIcon said:

buckshee said:

Fuck all loyalty these days.

Defoe the 2nd right there.

It's his job, has nothing to do with loyalty.
    Can you explain why you are even talking about loyalty?
    Thing is, it is not just a job. If he has been with us since, say 8,then he will also have benefitted from education (both football and non football), counselling, etc as part of being in our system. I do think that should engender some loyalty. I have previously compared it to a university education. If you go to Uni they throw a huge resource at giving you the best chance to succeed. They cannot ensure you do but they give you the tools. For that you pay and on graduation many, many post grads then chose to donate for the rest of their lives in thanks and acknowledgement of that and because they want other people to have the same chance in life.

If kids lap up their football education at clubs like Charlton then leave for nothing then more and more clubs will close their academies as things are tight and will likely get tighter and it becomes an unnecessary cost with limited benefit. Essentially these kids are putting at jeopardy the chance of future generations coming through that club.

Look at all the players we have developed and we are in League One so it has hardly benefitted us from a playing perspective. Financially how much has the academy cost over the last 10 years compared to receipts from Gomez, Jenkinson, Shelvey and a handful of others. Brentford have an increasingly compelling storey (Pope, Lookman, Aribo etc would fall into Brentford business model rather than our alameda products).

assuming labour laws do not cut through it I would change the current system so that a buying club pay a lump decided by a panel, minimum of £1M and then have to pay fixed amounts at certain milestones linked to the market... ie 10 PL appearances = £2M more, England cap = £5-10M more depending on their position and significant sell on. I would also have a clause whereby that player paid a % of their future career salary to the team that developed them linked to the number of years they spent at the club before 17.

That way the top clubs can still pick up the best talent but have to be far more discerning meaning their squads are smaller and more likely to make it. The club producing the talent is appropriately compensated and their is some sort of financial incentive for the youngster to consider about actually staying at the club that nurtured them.
  • Options
    Crickey, now we’re not even getting to see ‘The Premiership stars of tomorrow’.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oggy Red said:

buckshee said:

Fuck all loyalty these days.

Defoe the 2nd right there.

He's 16 and we're a club playing in league one who aren't even giving our kids bottled water and food at our training ground.
    No wonder the kid left.

Roland in trying to save a few pennies by stopping bottled water, might well have lost himself millions.

Penny wise, pound foolish. That's you Roland, huh?

I understand your logic and do indeed agree with the penny wise pound foolish saying applying to Roland.

But I can't see him moving abroad over a bottle of water and a bowl of cornflakes. If he'd gone to someone like West Ham maybe.

But the lure of a club like Benfica would be enough alone.
  • Options

Yep.
    Most clubs would not be prepared to take that risk so we would get 1 million.
    I realise that in Lookmans case we were the poaching club but my point stands.

Or they'd take the gamble and potentially lose the player on a free and neither us or they get a penny.
  • Options
    I've pondered here before whether it's worth having an academy, when the rules are so heavily stacked against smaller clubs (and for once you can't blame Roland for this)

Why nurture players from the age of 8 when you can instead pick them up from non league, or when they are released from other academies? Lookman, Pope, Dijksteel, Aribo, Maynard-brewer, Rob Elliot, Randolph were all picked up this way.
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Where did he go?
    America.

https://mobile.twitter.com/__alexwillis
    Watcha talkin bout Willis
  • Options

Yep.

In what way did we poach Lookman? He was playing for a Club playing part time non league football. And it’s not as if he came through their academy system. I’m not saying they deserved nothing but poaching?