Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Teenagers and old music

124»

Comments

• Options
    This is brilliant @captainbob

never seen this thread before 
    Same here. Excellent.
    @captainbob I hope you won’t be offended if I nick this idea for my tutor group? Sounds awesome.
  • Options
    This is brilliant @captainbob

never seen this thread before 
    Same here. Excellent.
    @captainbob I hope you won’t be offended if I nick this idea for my tutor group? Sounds awesome.
    Go ahead. Quite a few teachers in my school have started doing something similar. I get each pupil to give the piece of music a mark out of 10 which I tot up as they tell me and divide the total by the number of pupils. 

Over eight and a half years, I have played over 300 pieces of music. I have wondered whether a radio station might be interested in this when it finishes in May.
  • Options
    Suggestions if you are still playing songs to them - tested and approved by grandchildren:
    Virginia Plain (Roxy Music) 
    We gotta get out of this place (Animals)
    Paint it black (Rolling Stones)
    The Actor (Moody Blues)
    You're not alone any more (Travelling Wilburys)
    All or nothing (Small Faces)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have already played two Rolling Stones tracks - Gimme Shelter and Jumpin Jack Flash (neither did well). We got get out of this place is definitely on my shortlist. 
  • Options
    Great thread, it's important to show the kids proper music. Too many of my young cousins were listening to that grime nonsense so I had to show them the light and introduce them to metal, rock and roll and classic dance pop music. None of this wannabe American gangster toot. 

Listened to my, 20, 17 and 15 year old cousins playlists and was very happy to hear what they listened to on a day to day basis.

Also convinced all 3 of them to support Charlton. 

Great read @captainbob
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Suggestions if you are still playing songs to them - tested and approved by grandchildren:
    Virginia Plain (Roxy Music) 
    We gotta get out of this place (Animals)
    Paint it black (Rolling Stones)
    The Actor (Moody Blues)
    You're not alone any more (Travelling Wilburys)
    All or nothing (Small Faces)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have already played two Rolling Stones tracks - Gimme Shelter and Jumpin Jack Flash (neither did well). We got get out of this place is definitely on my shortlist. 
    I scrolled down the list on my mobile, so missed the Stones tracks. A few more:

Walls of Heartache - Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon
    Walk away, Renee - Four Tops
    Love Child - The Supremes
    Cum on, feel the noize! - Slade
    Flight of the Rat - Deep Purple
    Teenage Lament - Alice Cooper
    Bits and Pieces - Dave Clark Five

It's a pity to me that you chose a Beatles track that I consider to be one of their worst! Two B-sides that are better than most A-sides - Things we said today & The night before.

It would be interesting to hear the views of younger lifers on my suggestions as well!
  • Options
    Great thread, it's important to show the kids proper music. Too many of my young cousins were listening to that grime nonsense so I had to show them the light and introduce them to metal, rock and roll and classic dance pop music. None of this wannabe American gangster toot. 

Listened to my, 20, 17 and 15 year old cousins playlists and was very happy to hear what they listened to on a day to day basis.

Also convinced all 3 of them to support Charlton. 

Great read @captainbob
    That was a bit cruel. They showed you their playlist and you gave them Charlton in return. 
  • Options
    I played "Teenage Lament " to my sixteen year old granddaughter yesterday. Half way through, she smiled (a miracle in itself) and exclaimed that she liked it!