Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Teenagers and old music

Comments

• Leuth said:

I think the next part of your experiment needs to be an education in music and why the pop stuff they listen to now is on the whole crap.

Music really has dumbed down now, nothing really original.

Cant believe kids giving the Doors such a low mark has riled me this much!

I'd like to run the inverse experiment on CL - expose our lovely fogey ;) contingent to the hip and happening sounds of the current pop scene, with an average mark out of ten. Say the word and I'll start the thread. Minimum contributing age of 50
    Yes go on mate.
  • Great stuff @captainbob. Anarchy in 129 I can just about understand, it's different times. Light my Fire at 130 though is absolutely shocking.
  • Stig said:
    Great stuff @captainbob. Anarchy in 129 I can just about understand, it's different times. Light my Fire at 130 though is absolutely shocking.
    But the doors version is crap.

Wonderfully eclectic list.

Good to see some soul music.
  • The results are skewed by the fact that I play the songs through youtube. The volume perhaps wasn't loud enough on 'Light my Fire' and the video was relatively dull as it was a pretty constant mid-shot of Jim Morrison in his car.
  • Couple of my funeral songs in there too. No, not Girls Just Wanna Have Fun or Jolene either.

Really interesting project @captainbob well done.
  • edited May 2019
    Still no rockabilly then... 

Ace of Spades 105 - no wonder we think today's kids are soft.

Great and interesting project, Bob.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Teenage music should only be listened to alone, with headphones in, in your bedroom.  Especially anything by The Doors. 

As an aside. Light my Fire came on the car radio a few weeks back & Golfie Jnr (who takes a keen interest  in all my favourite bands/music) didn't rate it. I told him that it was because he was listening to it on the wrong medium & wrong circumstances. And I told him to wash his mouth out too. 
  • Play him the Jose version, so much better.
  • Take That & Lulu all the way.   ;)
    Personally, I love to jive out to the Will Young version.
    So wrong. Even the Mike Flowers version is better than Feliciano's.
  • Kids today are probably more preoccupied with deciding if they are male, female or giraffes to appreciate the likes of Motorhead or The Jam. 
    Brilliant  😂
    Has this been a Cover to Cover Henry? I can't remember hearing any versions other than The Doors, but I also struggle to imagine how something with Ray Manzarek's organ in it isn't going to be the better version.
  • Stig said:
    Play him the Jose version, so much better.
    Has this been a Cover to Cover Henry? I can't remember hearing any versions other than The Doors, but I also struggle to imagine how something with Ray Manzarek's organ in it isn't going to be the better version.
    @stig yes it has and so many people just couldn't see the genius of Jose, including you 

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78334/cover-to-cover-light-my-fire/p1
  • Stig said:
    Cover versions can sometimes be better than originals ...... or just different, in a creative and brilliant way.

But people often forget, or just overlook, the context of the times when the original was released.
    Some originals were cutting edge of their time;  new, exciting - stuff that was groundbreaking.

They were truly original and made their impact because of that.

• Still no rockabilly then... 

Sorry about that Algarveaddick. I re-read this thread yesterday and saw you had mentioned rockabilly before but I totally forgot to include it. What would you recommend I play when I start it up again in September?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    @stig yes it has and so many people just couldn't see the genius of Jose, including you 

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78334/cover-to-cover-light-my-fire/p1
    Ha ha, well given that opinion I must have hidden it from my consciousness. 
  • Play the original version of Alice by Smokey. 
    How the kids react will instantly weed out the troublemakers 
    Palace?
  • Still no rockabilly then... 

Sorry about that Algarveaddick. I re-read this thread yesterday and saw you had mentioned rockabilly before but I totally forgot to include it. What would you recommend I play when I start it up again in September?
    I will try and keep it mainstream-ish.

Train Kept a Rollin' - Johnny Burnette & the Rock n Roll Trio
    Domino - Roy Orbison
    Blue Moon of Kentucky - Elvis Presley

Maybe try a bit of British Rock n Roll on them too?

Growl - Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
    Turn my back on you - Billy Fury
    Brand New Cadillac - Vince Taylor & the Playboys

• Suggestions if you are still playing songs to them - tested and approved by grandchildren:
    Virginia Plain (Roxy Music) 
    We gotta get out of this place (Animals)
    Paint it black (Rolling Stones)
    The Actor (Moody Blues)
    You're not alone any more (Travelling Wilburys)
    All or nothing (Small Faces)
  • Good to see the B52s in at No.16 a very underrated band.
  • This is brilliant @captainbob

never seen this thread before 
  • seriously .. I am always surprised how much so many youngsters (flexible definition) know of the 'classic sounds' and the not so classic ones .. ancient me does wonder how much of today's stuff will still be so well regarded in 50 years or so .. the majority of my favourites were recorded in the dark n distant past