Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dangers of a Cashless Society.

Comments

• Options
    The worse that can happen is I get messages from Donald Trump!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen, and you don't know how to use apps? Do you have to alert people using said phone? Or online via said phone that has gone?
    Yes I know app stands for computer application, but I suspect they are only intuitive to the geek who made them, rely on internet connectivity, can be hacked and your details compromised.
    I suspect it may be a world of 'just' and 'obviously', where one is told you just have to do this or that, and obviously this or that happens.
    It is never ever simple, and never ever obvious.
    Cash seems so much more convenient that all these complicated systems, my old dad used to say 'if it ain't there, it can't go wrong'.

Have you actually tried using any apps, Seth?

A huge amount of time and money goes into making them as easy-to-use as possible. The apps from big brands have had many hours of testing with real users.

You might be surprised – most apps are no more complicated to use than this very site!
    To be fair, as soon as I see the word 'app' I am put off.

If I open something on the computer what I want to see at the beginning is a question:
    'Are you an idiot', with a yes/no option.

After opting for yes, I want a step by step guide, using simple words, where absolutely nothing is left out, nothing is assumed, and nothing is supposed to be 'obvious'.

Like symbols. There are all kinds of symbols now, some appear everywhere and I suspect are universal, like the line through the open circle thingy which turns out to be on/off.

If I use an app I want every single symbol explained as to what it is supposed to be.

I often come across a symbol which is three parallel lines stacked horizontally on top of one another.
    I don't know what the bejaysus that is supposed to be, what it does, or what it means, and it is not obvious in the slightest.
    Then there are the three stacked parallel lines where the middle one is shorter, and there are dots before each line. Lovely, I imagine that means something to somebody. F*ck knows what though.

Looking at my computer screen right now there is the outline symbol of a house, great, I don't know what it is for, or a sheet of paper bent over in the corner...like WTF is that? On another part of this screen there are three dots stacked above each other, oh really, is that a colon gone wrong?

Don't even ask about the star and the magnifying glass at the end of the address bar.

If people put time and money into making things, I conclude they must user test on themselves. If these companies want a real challenge they ought to test it on me.

While I am in proper rant mode, Virgin sends me messages on my mobile telephone saying that my data has been rolled over.
    What the actual f*ck is that supposed to mean?
    Like my date of birth, employment record, council tax number or whatever has been moved somewhere, that is all data.

I am going to make a cup of tea!
    Thanks for this. I work in this industry and it's actually really good to read an alternative viewpoint. As an industry we make a lot of assumptions, and they're clearly not all valid. I will remember your post and use it to challenge assumptions in the future. We need to work a lot harder.

I could tell you what all the symbols (icons) mean, but it would take the thread seriously off-topic!

But I will just say that your data rolling over is a good thing - it just means that any unused data allowance from this month will be added to your data allowance the next month. Your data allowance is the amount of 4G you can use - watching a video uses a lot of data, whereas viewing a text web page like this uses a tiny amount.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen, and you don't know how to use apps? Do you have to alert people using said phone? Or online via said phone that has gone?
    Yes I know app stands for computer application, but I suspect they are only intuitive to the geek who made them, rely on internet connectivity, can be hacked and your details compromised.
    I suspect it may be a world of 'just' and 'obviously', where one is told you just have to do this or that, and obviously this or that happens.
    Cash seems so much more convenient that all these complicated systems, my old dad used to say 'if it ain't there, it can't go wrong'.

A huge amount of time and money goes into making them as easy-to-use as possible. The apps from big brands have had many hours of testing with real users.

You might be surprised – most apps are no more complicated to use than this very site!

If I open something on the computer what I want to see at the beginning is a question:

After opting for yes, I want a step by step guide, using simple words, where absolutely nothing is left out, nothing is assumed, and nothing is supposed to be 'obvious'.

Like symbols. There are all kinds of symbols now, some appear everywhere and I suspect are universal, like the line through the open circle thingy which turns out to be on/off.

If I use an app I want every single symbol explained as to what it is supposed to be.

I often come across a symbol which is three parallel lines stacked horizontally on top of one another.
    I don't know what the bejaysus that is supposed to be, what it does, or what it means, and it is not obvious in the slightest.
    Then there are the three stacked parallel lines where the middle one is shorter, and there are dots before each line. Lovely, I imagine that means something to somebody. F*ck knows what though.

Looking at my computer screen right now there is the outline symbol of a house, great, I don't know what it is for, or a sheet of paper bent over in the corner...like WTF is that? On another part of this screen there are three dots stacked above each other, oh really, is that a colon gone wrong?

Don't even ask about the star and the magnifying glass at the end of the address bar.

If people put time and money into making things, I conclude they must user test on themselves. If these companies want a real challenge they ought to test it on me.

While I am in proper rant mode, Virgin sends me messages on my mobile telephone saying that my data has been rolled over.
    Like my date of birth, employment record, council tax number or whatever has been moved somewhere, that is all data.

Here you go @seth plum

Just click the link below

https://computerhope.com/issues/ch001801.htm
    This might help too.

https://computerhope.com/keys.htm
  • Options
    @seth plum your post is brilliant, i am still not sure if you are a genius or just genuine and dont know some of the stuff. Sorry but you had me in stitches and i hope its a whoosh :)
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Thanks for this. I work in this industry and it's actually really good to read an alternative viewpoint. As an industry we make a lot of assumptions, and they're clearly not all valid. I will remember your post and use it to challenge assumptions in the future. We need to work a lot harder.

I could tell you what all the symbols (icons) mean, but it would take the thread seriously off-topic!

But I will just say that your data rolling over is a good thing - it just means that any unused data allowance from this month will be added to your data allowance the next month. Your data allowance is the amount of 4G you can use - watching a video uses a lot of data, whereas viewing a text web page like this uses a tiny amount.
    Please don't freak out, but I don't know what data allowance actually means.
    You seem to suggest it means being on the internet, but I confess I am not 100% sure that is right.
  • Options
    I now feel I've been whooshed :lol:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Here you go @seth plum

This might help too.

Glancing at this stuff these sites are actually very good.
    I have to figure out a way of saving them so I can have an instant check in the future.
    The fact that these sites even exist is a form of comfort because it tells me I am not alone in my bewilderment.

I even found this:

Three horizontal lines above each other are known as the hamburger menu symbol and represents of a menu.

(I hope the burgers are veggie though).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Here you go @seth plum

This might help too.

Glancing at this stuff these sites are actually very good.
    I have to figure out a way of saving them so I can have an instant check in the future.
    The fact that these sites even exist is a form of comfort because it tells me I am not alone in my bewilderment.

I even found this:

Three horizontal lines above each other are known as the hamburger menu symbol and represents of a menu.

(I hope the burgers are veggie though).
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Here is one I found.
    Be honest, without looking it up, does everybody reading this know what this picture stands for:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Seth, the 3 parallel lines symbolise a Hard Border. Nothing is getting through that one

3 parallel lines with shorter middle and two dots symbolise a soft border allowing the free flow of certain products.

The star is a reminder to check the terms and conditions of the rules for bring things through the customs HOUSE

Hope that clarified for you.
    Very helpful, thanks.
    Although something tells me you might be joshing.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yes. And I'm older than you!

Anyway, you do yourself a disservice. Computer stuff has to be idiot-proof otherwise 95% of the customers would just break it. Stuff is therefore designed for that not to happen. Just tap on an icon and see what happens. What can possibly go wrong!
  • Options
    @Rufus_Ambition
    If you are in London, I will come in to your company and let your young and thrusting people test their products on me for free if you like.
    I suspect they will give up after about five minutes though.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I am against a cashless society by government edict. Personally, people are free to do whatever they want. Heck, even I use debit cards for 95% of my transactions. But that is different than FORCING people to do such.

Also, much like what China is starting to do, I can easily see people have their money "turned off" someday if they are late in taxes by a couple of days, or if they are politically incorrect, or for a whole slew of reasons.

Finally, look at Turkey or Venezuela now. Or Greece recently. Imagine if it was illegal to have non-electronic money. All those people would have been doomed to ride their wealth and currency into hyper-inflation of their local currency, without recourse. No doubt governments will turn off the ability to move money to competing currencies when their own is dropping. China is already clamping down. Turkey would if they could. Electronic only would allow them that.

Cash can save one's ass when the SHTF.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

Katrien Meire heaven. She's in the wrong business.

Marginalise the elderly or those who cannot afford the latest all singing all dancing mobile telephone.

Elitist and dividing yet the irony is that the most strident advocates will regard themselves as socialist and inclusive.

So the elderly don't have a bank card? WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE OLD PEOPLE????!!!!!
    A bank card doesn't help you pay Dartford Crossing charges with a phone app.

A lot of old gits like me still have a mobile phone for making and receiving phone calls and a text message.

My old antique phone actually has a camera on it so if I really feel like living on the edge I occasionally take a photograph all of which will be lost of course once my telephone finally dies a death.

Words like 'App' to me and many others of my vintage is the equivalent of trying to read the excellent work of @ROT, chronicled in other threads, in the original Flemish or is it Dutch or Walloon?

The patronising sniffy attitude towards the technologically disabled, demonstrated by the post I have quoted, is widespread too so does not encourage engagement as nobody likes being laughed at for their inept efforts in any field.

I am the cyber fat kid in the gym trying and failing to vault. I do not think I am alone either although the stigma of being technophobic in modern society seems to be worse than that accorded to racists or anti semites.
  • Options
    Talking of the olden's, shouldn't think this went down very well, not attempted to used it myself yet. The centre serves about 12,000 people, not sure how it's working, but can only guess they are making plenty of exceptions. I note that the app is specific for Bexley, maybe this is a Rolandesque experiment to be rolled out further into the borough.

Dear patient,

The Medical Centre Walk-In service will be replaced with more convenient and accessible E-Consultation service from 2 July 2018. For further details please visit our website www.belvederemedicalcentre.co.uk or download the NHS Bexley online app from the iPhone App or Google Play store. You can consult our Clinicians online and get a response back on the same day if we receive your eConsult before 1pm after which you will receive a response by the end of the next working day

Many Thanks

Reception
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

Marginalise the elderly or those who cannot afford the latest all singing all dancing mobile telephone.

Elitist and dividing yet the irony is that the most strident advocates will regard themselves as socialist and inclusive.

So the elderly don't have a bank card? WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE OLD PEOPLE????!!!!!

A lot of old gits like me still have a mobile phone for making and receiving phone calls and a text message.

My old antique phone actually has a camera on it so if I really feel like living on the edge I occasionally take a photograph all of which will be lost of course once my telephone finally dies a death.

Words like 'App' to me and many others of my vintage is the equivalent of trying to read the excellent work of @ROT, chronicled in other threads, in the original Flemish or is it Dutch or Walloon?

The patronising sniffy attitude towards the technologically disabled, demonstrated by the post I have quoted, is widespread too so does not encourage engagement as nobody likes been laughed at for their inept efforts in any field.

I am the cyber fat kid in the gym trying and failing to vault. I do not think I am alone either although the stigma of being technophobic in modern society seems to be worse than that accorded to racists or anti semites.
    From a 30 second search I can see you can pay the Dartford crossing by many ways other than the app even with cash at payzone points.

Ignorance is not an excuse. If people are unwilling to change then that's their fault. Technology is on the whole very user friendly these days. My Dad who's in his seventies doesn't have a problem with it. Never used a computer for his work, never grew up with it but has accepted that things change and if you don't then you'll be left behind. Sure he gets stuck with some things, everyone does but all people need to do is ask for help*.

*Google.
  • Options
    'More convenient and accessible'.

Really?
    Obviously?
    Like for blind people for example?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Looked at the site it says:

This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.

I really am not trolling or whooshing, but here is a perfect example, what is an iOS device?

This is a review:

Choose the consult my doctor option, select a category and work through the questions. Click on the add photo option and after selecting camera or camera roll the questionnaire bit I have been filling in scrolls off screen downwards leaving me staring at the list of categories with seemingly no way to get back to what I have already filled in!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

The patronising sniffy attitude towards the technologically disabled, demonstrated by the post I have quoted, is widespread too so does not encourage engagement as nobody likes been laughed at for their inept efforts in any field.

From a 30 second search I can see you can pay the Dartford crossing by many ways other than the app even with cash at payzone points.

Ignorance is not an excuse. If people are unwilling to change then that's their fault. Technology is on the whole very user friendly these days. My Dad who's in his seventies doesn't have a problem with it. Never used a computer for his work, never grew up with it but has accepted that things change and if you don't then you'll be left behind. Sure he gets stuck with some things, everyone does but all people need to do is ask for help*.

*Google.
    You don't believe in freedom of choice then?

Authoritarianism rules ok?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

'More convenient and accessible'.

Really?
    Obviously?
    Like for blind people for example?

Yep. Accessibility is a key feature for many decives, apps and websites.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

*Google.
    You don't believe in freedom of choice then?

Authoritarianism rules ok?
    We have much more choice now than we did even 10 years ago. Not to get started on the whole black cab debate but even their hands have been forced. Truth is the consumer has much more choice when it comes to how and where they spend their money. Even down to banking, if anything hopefully this gives the high street banks a kick up the arse to actually work for the customer.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

*Google.
    I refer the right honourable poster to the Bexley NHS app, and ask how user friendly that system is for blind people.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

@Rufus_Ambition
    If you are in London, I will come in to your company and let your young and thrusting people test their products on me for free if you like.
    I suspect they will give up after about five minutes though.

Yeah I work in London Bridge, but the company I'm at currently doesn't do in-house testing. I'll have to remember for future reference!

If you're interested, you could always sign up to something like this: https://takepartinresearch.co.uk/jobs/user-testing-london/
  • Options
    People who talk about a paperless society have never tried to wipe their arse with an iPad.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

LenGlover said:

*Google.
    I refer the right honourable poster to the Bexley NHS app, and ask how user friendly that system is for blind people.
    I am shocked that the NHS have clocked something up. I'm not saying that every single bit of technology in use is perfect or infallible. It isn't. However on the whole it has made our lives simpler and easier.

There are of course merits to be had both ways for this but this whole debate was not about that. It was scare mongering of the modern world and my point was at the beginning and still is that if you do not accept that the world has changed and do not adapt to it you will be left behind. It has happened at every technological revolution in human history and the same was said by those that resisted change at each of those points.