Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Talk Sport - Jim White (ed. Page 21 - Grapevine destroys Roland)

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

‘He’s going now’? Like he’s been going since he first instructed people to find buyers over two years ago. If he wanted to he could go tomorrow. But he won’t. The blokes a grade A shitweasal. Just fuck off you senile old scroat.

Yes but he is going, you cant really doubt it, and whatever we say it will be on his terms. So why punish ourselves, and risk the club and its support dying off even further?
    razil said:

‘He’s going now’? Like he’s been going since he first instructed people to find buyers over two years ago. If he wanted to he could go tomorrow. But he won’t. The blokes a grade A shitweasal. Just fuck off you senile old scroat.

Yes but he is going, you cant really doubt it, and whatever we say it will be on his terms. So why punish ourselves, and risk the club and its support dying off even further?
    I’m not going to much now because of a poorly run club, not enough ambition and pretty poor football. Bowyers done an ok job but we are still just above half way in this league with promotion just a remote possibility imo. The owner doesn’t care and it filters right down through to the fans! I just hope that eventually under new owners people get their enthusiasm back. A big new drive re special deals, promotions will be needed to build this club up again!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Barnie, just accept that people have differing opinions and approaches to the bullshit situation we find ourselves in.

You made it quite clear at the outset you thought the boycott was divisive, you are now suggesting we are punishing ourselves and putting the club at risk by continuing, when he does go no doubt it will be that boycotting made no difference and we only hurt ourselves, that's fine.

For my part I do not enjoy missing the Valley on a match day but, and it is an overwhelming but, I am very content not providing RD with a penny of my hard earned cash, whether he notices it or not. Sadly the soundbite we were offered yesterday caused me no optimism that he was on the verge of going anytime soon and certainly no reason to change my own stance.

Once he has gone, and sadly not before, I will be straight back. For people who continue to go, great, its a personal choice that's all.

Accepted, the fear I have is how many will have found better things to do on a Saturday, got out of the habit of going, or the wife gets used to them being around on Saturday and it becomes the norm.

Not saying anyone is in the wrong for boycotting or responsible for the above scenario, just something that does concern me is how long the damage RD has done leading to boycotting going to take to repair.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I read it as him saying, we would have been a success but what we did wrong was not communicate our master plan well enough to the fans - which is why we are where we are. Indirectly still blaming the fans. He admits mistakes like - everybody makes mistakes! Not like they were massive mistakes! Sorry, if somebody believes that is a proper apology they have not been watching over the last few years!
  • Options
    Sounds like a standard non-apology. "Takes onion from pocket" to quote Private Eye.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Oh do shush you lot. I have always supported protests, I just think boycotts hurt us more than they hurt him however unfashionable that view is to some.

Edit: of course I respect people’s rights to their opinion @SE7toSG3 and it is definitely not my intention to blame boycotters for anything.

How people spend their money or do with their time on a Saturday afternoon is down to them and is no one else's business apart from their own.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Crusty54 said:

Apology to the fans and for the poor communication in the Standard tonight.

Weren't he being sarcastic?
  • Options

People moan at no media coverage then moan where there is some. Well done to JW for putting the effort in.

I think it's more a dig at RD not changing his stance as opposed to having a dig at JW
  • Options
    Lots of clubs have bad owners and RD just happens to be worse than average. Boycotts don't touch him - they might work with a different owner but he can afford to ride it out.

A lot of people who've stopped going I doubt will return. I doubt there will be much of an increase in crowds when he goes?
  • Options
    "Combative, robust" according to Jim White bigging up the interview.
  • Options
    Roland on at 11.30
  • Options
    razil said:

How about because they really aren't that good a team and whereas 20-30 years ago I wouldn't miss a home game regardless of which position and/or league they were in, I just cannot bring myself to watch poor football week in / week out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I am a boycotter - but a pretty rubbish one who still goes to games as I love my club. The problem isn't boycotters who are passionate, it is the majority who are less passionate and don't want to watch third division football, where we struggle to beat crap teams in largely crap games bereft of quality. They are the ones the club lose and will have to work hard to get back - not the few who boycott and protest. Not sure why this is so difficult for some to grasp. The reason the Valley is so empty as people don't like the product on offer!

When we talk about the ability we have in the side - it is in the context of the third division! The bloody third division - where we seem stuck. We shouldn't forget nor forgive the person largely responsible for it.
  • Options
    Too true Muttley.
    Too true
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    We need to get rid of the **** first. In the snippet we have heard, if anybody thinks he is saying anything different to what has been said before they have not been listening. The narrative I understood before that so called apology was that we were doing the right things but didn't sell that to the fans well enough. Implying, had they done that the plan would have been a success! Can't see any veering away from that.

The reason many Charlton fans protested was they could see where the club was heading and sure enough it got there. People may have got a bit disgruntled with certain managers, but the owner was not under any great pressure to sack any of them. Maybe Fraeye was the closest to this, but he would have been sacked fans or not. They we all wrong calls from his team and I could have done better. Most of us could!

It was a model that was broken from the beginning for various reasons, and a series of wrong decisions around it that leaves us where we are today! It was an unwillingness to change when something wasn't working or have the right employees to help steer us on the correct path!
  • Options
    I can't see Jim White giving anyone a hard time as he's not paid to be controversial.

Not expecting anything of interest.
  • Options
    Roland’s blaming CARD - saying the protests didn’t help the young players
  • Options
    I can't repeat this enough, but I have huge respect and admiration for CARD and what they have done, so if I came across as critical that was not my intention.

Perhaps one good thing that comes out of all this is all that talent, creativity and energy can then be directed towards @KBslittlesis 's dream of rebuilding our support which I totally share.
  • Options

Roland’s blaming CARD - saying the protests didn’t help the young players

What a bell end!

• Options
    Preparing to be completely underwhelmed.