Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible live singers

edited August 2018 in Not Sports Related
I used to only watch British bands' performances and many of them sound good live. Some even sound exactly the same as on studio albums (for example Elbow's Guy Garvey).

Last night I watched a couple of Lana Del Rey live clips and to my surprise she sounded absolutely terrible. I do like a few of her songs.

And I remember a recent conversation with a friend of mine. We both like a very young American pop singer Charlie Puth. I think his live singing ability is poor but my friend said it's OK for a singer-songwriter to be less good/notably worse at singing than music-writing.

Actually I rarely listen to nowadays' pop music so I wonder is this the norm? Any poor live performers out there you noticed?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Suggs - On the roof of Buckingham Palace a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Damon Albarn - Glastonbury 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ian Broudie - Supporting Squeeze at Rochester Castle 2011 (?)
  • Options
    Liam Fray
  • Options
    Finley Quaye
  • Options

Paul McCartney

Especially at the opening ceremony in 2012!

It's an age thing though - he used to have a great voice.
  • Options
    I personally think I have a great voice and fancy myself as a bit of a crooner.

Interestingly though, this is not usually shared by audiences whenever I take to the stage.
  • Options

Paul McCartney

Linda McCartney even worse

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Cheifs. A brilliant frontman, but a ropey voice live.

Robbie Williams has also fallen into this category in recent years
  • Options
    Listen to Katie Price with autotune off, if you dare.
    https://youtu.be/K5RVM-aUtJM
  • Options
    Chris Martin - knows all the notes 'cos he wrote them but not in the right order
  • Options
    Just popped in here to check nobody has mentioned me yet.

Paul Young (The one who sang Love of the Common People) - saw him a couple of years back and he was shocking. He used to have a great voice, I don't know what's happened but he has completely lost it.
  • Options
    Whoever the lead singer of Hard-Fi is. Saw them on some BBC festival on TV. Sounded live he was being eviscerated with a rusty spoon.
  • Options

Ian Brown

Uniquely terrible singer and he knows it.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I'm meant to be going to a wedding where she is a bridesmaid at Christmas, do you think it'll be a good idea to get the DJ to play this?
  • Options

Uboat said:

I'm meant to be going to a wedding where she is a bridesmaid at Christmas, do you think it'll be a good idea to get the DJ to play this?
    Not unless you want to start a riot!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Uboat said:

Not unless you want to start a riot!
    Wouldnt be the first time
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Ian Broudie - Supporting Squeeze at Rochester Castle 2011 (?)

Was just gonna post the lightening seeds supporting squeeze.
    Probably the worst I’ve seen.
  • Options
    Singer from Embrace. Although, to be fair he can't sing on albums either.
  • Options
    David Byrne from the talking heads. Especially recently
  • Options

Curb It

You beat me to it Pal!

• Options

Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Cheifs. A brilliant frontman, but a ropey voice live.

Robbie Williams has also fallen into this category in recent years

I thought he was alright? I watched quite a few Kaiser Chiefs performances during their first two albums but haven't followed them in recent years. Don't know what he's like now on stage.

Whoever the lead singer of Hard-Fi is. Saw them on some BBC festival on TV. Sounded live he was being eviscerated with a rusty spoon.

I was actually going to mention him in my original post. I was a big fan of Hard-Fi. Watched many live performances and even bought a CD of their first album which had a bonus DVD of their gig at the old Astoria. And yes Richard Archer was a poor live singer....
  • Options
    A few of those (Suggs, Ian Broudie) were never great singers in the first place. A few have voices that have deteriorated, Liam Gallagher isn't the singer he was when he was young

But then there are also boring performers. Alison Goldfrapp has a fine voice, but I found her a dull live performer.
  • Options
    Florence Foster Jenkins.
  • Options
    Bob Geldof
    Cilla Black
  • Options
    Saw Hard Fi at V a good few years ago.

F-ing awful.