Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Future of England - Watchtower

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Recently read a stat about Maldini's reading and positioning being so good he averaged half a tackle per game. 
    Maldini actually began his career at right back before switching to left back. He then moved to centre back in the latter years of his career because, yep, his experience (and loss of pace). 

Upamacano and Dias are the only players I can think of that have been at a top club playing CB regularly in their late teens (both now 23).
    Going back to my original point I can't actually think of a top draw center half that has come through a top English academy since they were a thing?  Mcguire, Stones and Mings didnt. 
    John Terry and Sol Campbell are two of the few I can think of... Cahill, Jagielka and Ferdinand didnt come through top English clubs
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Recently read a stat about Maldini's reading and positioning being so good he averaged half a tackle per game. 
    Maldini actually began his career at right back before switching to left back. He then moved to centre back in the latter years of his career because, yep, his experience (and loss of pace). 

Upamacano and Dias are the only players I can think of that have been at a top club playing CB regularly in their late teens (both now 23).
    Going back to my original point I can't actually think of a top draw center half that has come through a top English academy since they were a thing?  Mcguire, Stones and Mings didnt. 
    John Terry and Sol Campbell are two of the few I can think of... Cahill, Jagielka and Ferdinand didnt come through top English clubs
    And they all came through before the structural changes.....
  • Options
    England tonight qualified for the U19 Euro finals this summer, beating Portugal 2-0 to top their 'elite' group. Dane Scarlett of Spurs scored both goals.

Tournament will be held in Slovakia in the last 2 weeks of June.

Countries qualified are Slovakia, Romania, Italy, Israel, France, Austria and England. Final group which has Ukraine in will be played in the first week of June
  • Options
    England are through to the Semi-Finals of the U19 Euros

Will face either Italy or France in the next round, with Israel or Serbia as the last team. Also means that we've Qualified for the U20 World Cup in 2023 which'll be held in Indonesia, we of course won it in 2017, but failed to qualify in 2019
  • Options
    3 wins out of 3 in our group without conceding.

Semi finals are both on Tuesday:

England v Italy
    France v Israel

From the bits i've seen so far, France look very good and destroyed Italy 4-1 in their group game.
  • Options
    Are they on terrestrial TV?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Are they on terrestrial TV?
    Will be on the BBC or UEFA.tv - Not sure if you have to pay for the latter

https://www.live-footballontv.com/live-international-football-on-tv.html

Edit: Looks like you just have to create an account for the latter
  • Options
    England U19s are through to the Euros Final

Came from behind to beat Italy 2-1

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2022/Jun/28/england-mens-under-19s-versus-italy-euro-2022-20220628
  • Options
    Isreal just upset France. England already beat Isreal with a rested team 1-0
  • Options
    Huge upset that, France had most of the possession and chances but Israel win 2-1.

Final is Friday at 7pm. England v Israel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been impressive from these lads

Apart from a few names - there are a lot in this England group that I've not come across yet; Chukwuemeka seems to be the standout from the Age group though. 
  • Options

Apart from a few names - there are a lot in this England group that I've not come across yet; Chukwuemeka seems to be the standout from the Age group though. 
    Him and Devine look ridiculous. Cox, the Brentford keeper, looks a real talent.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Do we think any of them fancy a season on loan in League One? 
  • Options

Thought different on Cox actually, handling looks a bit suspect, was parrying everything. 

Chukwuemeka has the potential to go to the very top. Him and Foden in attacking midfield is mouthwatering 
  • Options

Thought different on Cox actually, handling looks a bit suspect, was parrying everything. 

Chukwuemeka has the potential to go to the very top. Him and Foden in attacking midfield is mouthwatering 
    Tbf I only watched the highlights and some of his tip over saves were fantastic especially the last effort. 1 goal conceded all tournament as well and from the spot.
  • Options
    Chukwuemeka will get a Championship loan this summer. Top player at Villa, they’ve really got a fantastic group of young players coming through.

Devine is far more highly rated than Nile John and is only 17 still. Been playing for Spurs U23 and doing very well. He’s a proper young player in midfield we should be looking at bringing in this summer.

Scarlett would have little chance of coming here. He’s been involved with Spurs first team for a while being on the bench but he hasn’t played a lot of football so maybe a loan could really do his development good.

Would expect this young England team to win the tournament which would only do wonders for their development as young players. 
  • Options
    Why are Spain, Portugal, Holland, Germany etc not in it? Some real shit nations in the last 8
  • Options

Tbf I only watched the highlights and some of his tip over saves were fantastic especially the last effort. 1 goal conceded all tournament as well and from the spot.
    I'll be honest, haven't seen the semi. He made a couple of decent saves in the group stage but didn't seem to hold anything, couple of times the parry was back into a dangerous area. In fairness, he's a young keeper doing a good job of keeping the ball out of the net, I'm probably being pedantic. 
  • Options
    Why are Spain, Portugal, Holland, Germany etc not in it? Some real shit nations in the last 8
    Think countries like Spain lift their best young players into higher age groups sooner. Okay, Gavi is an exceptional talent at 17, but he would usually be included but has already played 10 games for Spain. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Think countries like Spain lift their best young players into higher age groups sooner. Okay, Gavi is an exceptional talent at 17, but he would usually be included but has already played 10 games for Spain. 
    Yeah I remember reading something about Spain practically skipping U19 football. Their 17 year olds play for U17 and then step up to U21 when they're 18 (if good enough). Their U19 side are basically their second string 18/19 year olds. You'd still expect them to be a bit competitive though, even if not as good as the likes of England and France. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Just had a look and the qualification also involves an elite stage after the group stage. Isreal had a group of Hungary Scotland and Turkey, where as Italy Belgium and Germany were in the same group.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Chukwuemeka will get a Championship loan this summer. Top player at Villa, they’ve really got a fantastic group of young players coming through.

Devine is far more highly rated than Nile John and is only 17 still. Been playing for Spurs U23 and doing very well. He’s a proper young player in midfield we should be looking at bringing in this summer.

Scarlett would have little chance of coming here. He’s been involved with Spurs first team for a while being on the bench but he hasn’t played a lot of football so maybe a loan could really do his development good.

Would expect this young England team to win the tournament which would only do wonders for their development as young players. 
    You know Chuks has played a few times last year, whenever he came on seemed to look decent. He might even get into the side this year, great talent and couldn't understand why they kept him on the bench alot last season as looks the real deal already
  • Options
    Rumours are Chukwuemeka is heading to Dortmund, possibly replacing Bellingham 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Rumours are Chukwuemeka is heading to Dortmund, possibly replacing Bellingham 
    Wouldn't surprise me that, looked it up he played 12 times last year. All or most of the bench, but you would think Villa will try to hold on to him or maybe put a buy back clause like City /Chelsea would do. 
  • Options
    Euro U19 Final is tonight... England vs Israel @ 7pm

Game is going to be on the BBC website, as well as UEFA.tv (just need to register for a free account)
  • Options
    Euro U19 Final is tonight... England vs Israel @ 7pm

Game is going to be on the BBC website, as well as UEFA.tv (just need to register for a free account)
    I’ve not really been following it, but from what I’ve read on here, but I thought France were the team to beat?
  • Options
    Isreal good value at 5/1 we look appalling 
  • Options
    Decent defending from us... Israel should be well in front!!
  • Options
    Cant believe how bad this is