Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    Falls asleep when defending - doesn’t pick up men on the edge of the box. Not good enough for me. If he starts in front of Dobson there is something seriously wrong. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Good stats. How can your passing be so accurate but your shooting be so horrible?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Good stats. How can your passing be so accurate but your shooting be so horrible?
    As far as I can tell it’s based on a ranking, i.e. 50% passing accuracy is the average L1 CM, it’s not saying he only completed 20% or so of his passes. 
  • Options
    Definitely starts for me on Saturday. Had a good pre season and my gut tells me that this is going to be his year. He’s in the last chance saloon tho as if we don’t see the player if think he is the first ten games, it’s gotta be see you later.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Technical ability Albie has in abundance. The consistency and defensive awareness is where he needs to improve and he knows that.

I actually think a midfield 3 will suit him, rotating with Fraser. Playing alongside Dobson and Mcgrandles will free him up to get on the ball and make things happen. There are not many players at this level with his passing range - funnily enough the closest I have seen is Aaron Henry who also struggles with other aspects of his game.

We also need to remember that he is only 22 and is actually younger than Alfie Doughty and Josh Davison. Because he broke through very early I think we all forget just how young he is.

Big season coming up for him, hopefully under Garner he can flourish and fulfil the potential we all know he has.

Just found this post from July 15th, and Garner will be a good coach for Albie who when he has people moving is the best long  passes in the team. My mantra with Morgan for the last 2 years was stay behind at Sparrows and practice your shots at goal from a moving ball. He practices his dead ball from set pieces but if he could hit the target like his goal in the friendly last week then the last scholar still at Cafc from his peer group, could still improve his career and the best is yet to come.
  • Options
    I have been a big critic of Albie as I think he has always flattered to deceive but if he can consistently deliver performances like yesterday then I take my hat off to him. Hopefully it isnt a case of him being great pre season but back to the normal Albie in league games. I never thought he should be anywhere near our squad but yesterday he has staked a claim 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Because of the number of short back passes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    Chunes said:
    Because of the number of short back passes.
    I meant long pass success % but probably should've been more clear about that

With his technique it must be a mental thing, as another poster said. Be great if they started flying in.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I have been a big critic of Albie as I think he has always flattered to deceive but if he can consistently deliver performances like yesterday then I take my hat off to him. Hopefully it isnt a case of him being great pre season but back to the normal Albie in league games. I never thought he should be anywhere near our squad but yesterday he has staked a claim 
    To be honest if he can do it 2/3s of the time that should be enough for people to accept he's moving in the right direction, but it won't be. Minda are made up for most of the naysayers.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    To be honest if he can do it 2/3s of the time that should be enough for people to accept he's moving in the right direction, but it won't be. Minda are made up for most of the naysayers.
    Tbf mate you cant blame the critics imo. Yes he is young but he is pushing 100 1st team games and for the vast majority of them he has looked totally lost. As I said earlier yesterday he was very good and hopefully it continues 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sums up his game quite well. Brilliant when we have the ball (unless he’s shooting) but not much use when we don’t have it. Was worried about him being used as our deeper midfielder but I thought he defended well yesterday and McGrandles being to the right of him will help as well so maybe he can play that role. I would still be happier with Dobson or Forster-Caskey there though 
  • Options
    Had a good game yesterday. Can he keep it up though!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Former Charlton academy youngster Morgan still feels he can make it as a pro.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/sport/skys-the-limit-for-bay-newcomer-morgan-270297/
    Thats not his Brother in the picture is it? - Looks like he's had a rough paper round, unless he's a lot older.

That is Ben Smith the Herne Bay manager and Albie's younger Brother is Frankie (20, I believe) a left footed LB ! There is a family resemblance and I was told about Frankie at a "Kent League" match by a friend of the Morgan family.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Interesting stats. There’s a bit of narrative developed around Albie, in some quarters, that his game is just plain not up to League 1 level. Stats like this show that isn’t really fair and support the idea that the potential is there because parts of his his game are there, or there abouts, where they need to be. If he can get those other parts a bit closer to average or better he can still have a good career, and is still plenty young enough to improve. If he can’t do it playing ‘Garnerball’ he may never, but I’m interested to see how this season goes for him. I’m hopeful it’ll be the one where it all starts to come together. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting comment from him, saying that second half he dropped back alongside Dobson.
  • Options
    Interesting comment from him, saying that second half he dropped back alongside Dobson.
    I think that’s his best role. He’s better when he gets on the ball deeper, but I’m not sure defensively he is up to that role. But playing deeper next to Dobson fixes that 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I think that’s his best role. He’s better when he gets on the ball deeper, but I’m not sure defensively he is up to that role. But playing deeper next to Dobson fixes that 
    trouble is that if we have 2 deep lying midfielders (which we don't need - Dobbo does that job) then Stockley gets even more isolated up front.

Morgan picks the ball up from the CB's and then panics, he's a squad player and should be nowhere near stating if we have promotion asperations 

he got a bit lucky with the goal Saturday as he should've squared it and had the keeper caught it or parried it wide then Morgan would've been slaughtered
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    trouble is that if we have 2 deep lying midfielders (which we don't need - Dobbo does that job) then Stockley gets even more isolated up front.

Morgan picks the ball up from the CB's and then panics, he's a squad player and should be nowhere near stating if we have promotion asperations 

he got a bit lucky with the goal Saturday as he should've squared it and had the keeper caught it or parried it wide then Morgan would've been slaughtered
    I would have had the same view on Morgan a few weeks ago. But he was probably the standout in pre-season from what I watched and has played well in both games so far this season so has earned his spot. 

With 2 deeper midfielders that will free up Fraser/Payne to get closer to stockley and also free up the full backs/wingers a bit more. 

Morgan is far better at picking it up off the CBs than Dobson which is probably why Dobson was dropped. We’ve seen now that we need Dobson there defensively, but Garner wants a better ball-player there so playing both makes sense and Morgan still has the energy to get forward as shown on the goal. I would prefer Forster-Caskey there tbh, but I can understand why they’d rather put their faith in a younger player that doesn’t have the injury issues 
  • Options
    So basically when playing the ball out of defence: 

Wollacott
    Clare - Iniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Morgan - Dobson
    Fraser
    B.Taylor - Stockley - Kirk

When attacking:

Wollacott
    Clare - Iniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Dobson
    Morgan - Fraser
    B.Taylor - Stockley - Kirk
  • Options
    I have been the biggest Albie critic over the years but it is pretty hard to be overly critical of his performance Saturday.  He wasn’t great in the first half but nobody was.  His movement in the second half was excellent. Everyone is rightly praising Kirks pass but Albies run was a intelligent use of the open space. I still think he is best suited as a reserve who comes on to add some energy as I think Dobson should be an automatic start though
  • Options
    and where does Payne fit in when fit