Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jed Steer - keeper - on loan from Villa

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    cabbles said:

@SoundAsa£ has pointed out he may be on the way back to Villa in Jan

There’s a possibly that he could get recalled,” said Bowyer. “That’s out of our hands, we can’t control that.

“But we’ll try to persuade them to let him stay, but it is nothing we can control.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-manager-bowyer-on-possibility-of-jed-steer-loan-recall-by-aston-villa/
  • Options
    Sounds more like speculation around a question asking whether Jed had a recall clause - i.e. with new Management there will always be a chance that they'll want their loaned players back to review (like we did with Callum Harriott and Colchester) yet if Dean Smith has shown no indication of wanting him back then we've nothing really to worry about
  • Options
    Villa have this keeper on the books: André Moreira (on loan from Atlético Madrid) .. not very experienced but a Portugal junior international .. hopefully, if there is a problem with the 1st choice keeper, this kid will step up
  • Options
    Anyone know why he was a late substitute on the bench the other night against Mansfield when Maynard-Brewer was originally down on the team sheets as sub goalkeeper?
  • Options
    Watching Villa v Birmingham. Proper local derby. Only problem is the villa goalkeeper doesn't look great.

I can see the clamour to recall Steer increasing.
  • Options
    I don’t think Steer has been all that impressive, until yesterday , that is. Perhaps he needed a run of games to show his quality, much like Amos did
  • Options
    Credit to Steer who seems to be improving game by game - was my MOTM yesterday.

Looked really shaky earlier this season but seems to be growing in confidence.
  • Options
    Steer improving but be surprised if Villa (a side with play off ambitions) would want him back.
  • Options
    Unless their keeper is not doing what they want, why would they get Steer back to sit in the bench?
  • Options

Credit to Steer who seems to be improving game by game - was my MOTM yesterday.

Looked really shaky earlier this season but seems to be growing in confidence.

Exactly as Amos improved last season. While Phillps has not been given the same opportunities as the loanees to improve by playing regularly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOM yesterday - no question.

Quality save on 38 mins
    Assist for the first goal
    Vital tip over in the final minutes.
  • Options
    I keep forgetting he's a Norwich academy product. For a club who haven't produced many good outfield players, they've churned out a lot of keepers. Robert Green, Joe Lewis, Declan Rudd, and Angus Gunn all ex Norwich academy in recent years.
  • Options

Villa have this keeper on the books: André Moreira (on loan from Atlético Madrid) .. not very experienced but a Portugal junior international .. hopefully, if there is a problem with the 1st choice keeper, this kid will step up

Villa's sub keeper today was Mark Bunn, a fairly experienced keeper
  • Options

That's good news for us then, should mean Aston Villa won't be recalling Steer if they could
    Phew! I wasn't all that impressed for his first few games, but he had grown to the point where I think he is the best one we have had on loan in recent years! I think as he is doing so well here, he needs games and it wouldn't be in Villa's interests to bring him back and put him on the bench anyway, IMO.
  • Options

That's good news for us then, should mean Aston Villa won't be recalling Steer if they could
    Phew! I wasn't all that impressed for his first few games, but he had grown to the point where I think he is the best one we have had on loan in recent years! I think as he is doing so well here, he needs games and it wouldn't be in Villa's interests to bring him back and put him on the bench anyway, IMO.
    Well from what I have just read his contract expires summer 2019. So it's all a bit optimistic but if a takeover were to happen he could end up being our number 1 if we were promoted. Long shot but Villa just paid 7mill for Kalinic, that ain't chump change and could signal the end for Steer at Villa
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Good interview with him...

Especially with regards to the Foodbanks which have been mentioned enough on here - https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/the-signs-that-show-jed-steer-is-expecting-charlton-stay-and-not-an-aston-villa-recall-in-january/
  • Options
    Sounds like a great bloke as well as an excellent keeper.
  • Options
    He dated a lot of the food? Sounds like that nutty bird that married a ghost!
  • Options

He dated a lot of the food? Sounds like that nutty bird that married a ghost!

He said it was food for thought when asked if he'd get married himself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tin sickness and tin health.
  • Options

Well from what I have just read his contract expires summer 2019. So it's all a bit optimistic but if a takeover were to happen he could end up being our number 1 if we were promoted. Long shot but Villa just paid 7mill for Kalinic, that ain't chump change and could signal the end for Steer at Villa
    Kalinic is the Croatia number 1, so you'd expect he's been signed for the long term. Villa also have Nyland, Bunn and some other kid as well as Steer so you'd imagine it's the end for at least 2 of them
  • Options

Kalinic is the Croatia number 1, so you'd expect he's been signed for the long term. Villa also have Nyland, Bunn and some other kid as well as Steer so you'd imagine it's the end for at least 2 of them
    Nyland is the weakest link in the current Villa side .. Bunn is well into his 30s .. Kalinic is a very good keeper and I surprised he's still 'on the market' .. Villa despite recent problems is still potentially a force to be reckoned with especially under the new manager, tough guy Smith
  • Options

Steer playing that 1 game for Villa at the beginning of the season is quite handy for us as it rules out the option of Steer being taken back and sold to another English club in January

Does it? I thought the rule was you couldn't be signed permanently for 3 clubs in a season
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Steer playing that 1 game for Villa at the beginning of the season is quite handy for us as it rules out the option of Steer being taken back and sold to another English club in January

Does it? I thought the rule was you couldn't be signed permanently for 3 clubs in a season
    I thought it was you couldnt play for three clubs regardless

Hence why Powell didnt recall Michael Smith that season we needed a striker when he was at AFC Wimbledon and scoring for fun, because had he been a flop for us then we wouldnt have been able to have sent him off on loan again
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The article seemed to suggest a maximum of two clubs
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Got low marks again this week. This guy is way above league one level and we are are lucky to have him, let's all get behind him.

I think the low marks were a good sign of how much he's improved

He wasnt really forced into a save against Gillingham yet his distribution was Dean Kiely-esque which for him is poor
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Got low marks again this week. This guy is way above league one level and we are are lucky to have him, let's all get behind him.

"again"?

His lowest score for weeks, indeed since Coventry at the start of October. He had a relatively poor game, but has hardly been crucified here