Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

1525354555658»

Comments

• Options
    good little golf weekend away but very rushed. 

The Wiltshire course was £35 and worth every penny imo, the hotel is being used to house migrants so we were a bit skeptical of what the golf facilities would be like, its a course that with a little tlc could easily be top tier. 

then from there onto Celtic manor the cellar bar watching the spurs game was ok but v busy, we went for dinner at the couldra court which annoyingly isnt covered by shuttle transfers, so had to arrange our own taxis which took an age, meal was okay but service shocking. 

played the montgomerie on the Sunday 8.30am tee off we had buggies but as you have to stay on the path pain in the backside. 

personally I found the whole place expensive and overated. 

next 2 breaks we are looking at are dale hill with a sunday overnight, then possibly the belfry in the summer. 
    AVOID Dale Hill - awful place - hotel is shite, food average at best, and the Woosnam Course is in terrible condition (original course is ok) - there is way better out there - Mannings Heath near Horsham is good
    any other recommendations for a place with 2 courses and a hotel/accomodation local 

ideally somewhere where there is a little bit of nightlife as in a pub etc and somewhere for a decent meal.  
    Do you need 2 courses ?  Why not just play 2 rounds on the same course. Sometimes a "day ticket" is cheaper than playing 2 different courses at the same place. Or play 2 different courses that are close to each other. Royal Eastbourne & Eastbourne Head are only a stone's throw apart for example.
  • Options

The Wiltshire course was £35 and worth every penny imo, the hotel is being used to house migrants so we were a bit skeptical of what the golf facilities would be like, its a course that with a little tlc could easily be top tier. 

then from there onto Celtic manor the cellar bar watching the spurs game was ok but v busy, we went for dinner at the couldra court which annoyingly isnt covered by shuttle transfers, so had to arrange our own taxis which took an age, meal was okay but service shocking. 

played the montgomerie on the Sunday 8.30am tee off we had buggies but as you have to stay on the path pain in the backside. 

next 2 breaks we are looking at are dale hill with a sunday overnight, then possibly the belfry in the summer. 
    AVOID Dale Hill - awful place - hotel is shite, food average at best, and the Woosnam Course is in terrible condition (original course is ok) - there is way better out there - Mannings Heath near Horsham is good
    any other recommendations for a place with 2 courses and a hotel/accomodation local 

ideally somewhere where there is a little bit of nightlife as in a pub etc and somewhere for a decent meal.  

Depends how far you want to go. Bournemouth is surrounded by some great courses within a 15/20 minute drive, some even nearer. Plenty of hotels and the nightlife is lively!

I would recommend Dudsbury, Ferndown, Bulbury Woods, Isle of Purbeck (very tricky!!), and especially Barton-on-Sea (3x9 holes - make sure you include The Needles 9).
  • Options

I played Dale Hill last month, the course to the left as you drive in (not sure which that is). It was in great condition and a really good track, thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was overpriced though 
  • Options

I'd avoid the Belfry if I were you. It's similar to Celtic Manor in that it's very expensive and overrated, and the nightclub has even shut down now!! The Brabazon course takes forever to play and is really nothing special. Holes 10 and 18 are great obviously but the rest of it is very average I thought. 

Someone else has suggested Princes - that's a far better experience. 
  • Options
    Played at Darenth Valley yesterday. The course has always been at bit samey but was in fantastic condition and of course some wonderful scenery. Struggled a bit on the long par 4s managed to break 100 but not by much 
  • Options
    thanks all 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Played at Darenth Valley yesterday. The course has always been at bit samey but was in fantastic condition and of course some wonderful scenery. Struggled a bit on the long par 4s managed to break 100 but not by much 
    I played Darenth Valley 1st time for years last week,lovely condition,with as you say great views,however it is bit long for 79 year olds,so I got nowhere near the hundred mark,but will give it another go.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:
    Great news that Barnehurst Golf Course is being taken over by American Golf:

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/news/american-golf-re-open-barnehurst-golf-course
    Yes hopefully they get it in good condition, good for the locals with the adventure golf, shop, track man range etc. 

My son, who is now a member at Barnehurst, tells me that the course was all set to be sold by American Golf in the course of the last week or so but that the sale fell through at the last minute. Shame because the new owners were proposing a number of improvements including the driving range as currently golfers aren't allowed to use drivers there. 

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Yes hopefully they get it in good condition, good for the locals with the adventure golf, shop, track man range etc. 

My son, who is now a member at Barnehurst, tells me that the course was all set to be sold by American Golf in the course of the last week or so but that the sale fell through at the last minute. Shame because the new owners were proposing a number of improvements including the driving range as currently golfers aren't allowed to use drivers there. 

Knock down the house on the corner of the 3rd hole, push back the tee as before & make it a par 4 again. 

Cut down tress in the car park & move the clubhouse back 50-100 yards thus making the 1st & 9th's longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Knock down the house on the corner of the 3rd hole, push back the tee as before & make it a par 4 again. 

Cut down tress in the car park & move the clubhouse back 50-100 yards thus making the 1st & 9th's longer.
    I think they were proposing to make the 9th the first hole simply because of the dangers to the Clubhouse!!!
  • Options
    How are you going to display the ball? 
    I’ve only just started playing golf but I’ve already thought of 5 or 6 options for my first ace. 
    haha
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Finally today after 30 odd years of playing golf I got my first hole in one!!!
    and what a beauty of a strike it was. I was always worried that if I got one it’d be a duffed shot that got lucky. 
    Very happy man today 😊
    Congrats. What course were you playing ?

Probably the closest I've come is on a course nr Newport, Wales. Par 3, 140 yards(ish) over a pond. It landed a foot or two away (pitch mark) and rolled past the hole stopping a foot the other side.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    and what a beauty of a strike it was. I was always worried that if I got one it’d be a duffed shot that got lucky. 
    Very happy man today 😊
    Congrats @Taxi_Lad still waiting for my first.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Very happy man today 😊

Probably the closest I've come is on a course nr Newport, Wales. Par 3, 140 yards(ish) over a pond. It landed a foot or two away (pitch mark) and rolled past the hole stopping a foot the other side.
    Similar distance. 7th hole at North Foreland GC my home course
  • Options
    Congratulations @Taxi_Lad

@801912601 playing partner hit one on Sunday in our comp.

I reckon if I could keep one on a green I’d consider mounting it!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Very happy man today 😊

Nice hole by that pub and a lovely course as well. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Very happy man today 😊

Nice hole by that pub and a lovely course as well. 
    You mean the Captain Digby.