Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jim, we can't begin to have any idea of the struggles you have had to face thus far. 

Just unbelievable that, especially in these days of huge advances in medicine, your condition is clearly an ongoing, serious issue. 

Our hearts go out to you & our own past health issues pale into total insignificance. 

You are one brave Addick. 

PLEASE keep in touch to let us all know how things are going as we'll 100% be asking one another if anyone's heard from you now that you're in our thoughts. 

Hoping this won't give you any kind of setback but there's a big, juicy kiss awaiting you in Crossbars....

...and one from Fanny too .

:wink:
  • Options
    Jim, we can't begin to have any idea of the struggles you have had to face thus far. 

Just unbelievable that, especially in these days of huge advances in medicine, your condition is clearly an ongoing, serious issue. 

Our hearts go out to you & our own past health issues pale into total insignificance. 

PLEASE keep in touch to let us all know how things are going as we'll 100% be asking one another if anyone's heard from you now that you're in our thoughts. 

Hoping this won't give you any kind of setback but there's a big, juicy kiss awaiting you in Crossbars....

Thanks Jean.  The warmth from all my different groups of friends has been very moving. I need targets to fight for and a Fanny snog in Crossbars is right up there!  I fully intend to collect.  I’ll keep you all posted. Best. Jim aka Sillybilly
  • Options
    Hi @Sillybilly,
    Not been on this thread for a while, and very sorry to read your news - sounds as though you got a bad throw of the genetics dice.

I hope your recovery goes well, and that you are soon able to enjoy the surroundings of your cottage.  Doubtless there will be plenty of challenges when you get going with rehab, but opportunities too,  Best wishes.
  • Options
    @Sillybilly, sorry to hear your news but it seems you are staying positive and that will stand you in good stead for the challenges ahead. Wish you all the best for a speedy recovery and hope you are back home soon in your new home. 
  • Options
    apologies @sillybilly , somehow wrote silly boy when wishing you the best in a previous post. 😬
  • Options
    @Sillybilly...christ I cant begin to think what you must be going through please accept my best wishes 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    How’s the shoulder @Sillybilly?
    my mate has recently joined the green staff at Dartford GC. He says they haven’t done proper aeration of the greens for 3 years. They have now finished the first core and top dressed them so hopefully be playing well when you return. He also reckons the head green keeper is keen to lose the temporary greens in time👍🏻
    Well there’s a story!!!!  May as well tell it here. The shoulder remains unfixed. A couple of more dates came and went during lockdown and I had some advice which suggested the passage of time might not have done me any favours. I’ve been waiting patiently. We decided to crack on with life and recently my family and I relocated to the Isle of Wight (completed on16 Feb as seen elsewhere in this forum. I’ve been having foot issues which my doctor put down to plantar fasciitis over the winter but it was clear after a week on the island that I was in real trouble so the panic button was duly pressed. Anyway, cutting a long story very short and with appropriate thanks to the sterling efforts of Ventnor Medical Practice and Southampton General Hospital, I am typing this from the recovery ward after my third surgery totalling 21 hours this week culminating in the amputation today of my right foot below the knee.  Life will, as they say, go on but at the moment my shoulder is but a pimple on the arse of my distress.  

The new greenkeeper appointment at Dartford will be absolutely key. Already obvious that it has been the blind leading the blind for years. Just hope it’s salvageable. 
    Bloody hell.

Keep your chin up Sir, I hope all things good for you.
  • Options
    @Sillybilly.
    Just caught up with this Jim. 
    Best wishes and stay strong mate.
    Plenty on here wishing you a speedy recovery. 
  • Options
    @Sillybilly.
    Just caught up with this Jim. 
    Best wishes and stay strong mate.
    Plenty on here wishing you a speedy recovery. 
    Echo Blacks comments, Best wishes Jim.
  • Options
    @Sillybilly

Your courage in adversity puts some of us to shame. Your comments about the NHS should be a badge that everyone wears. Please continue to share your story. I suspect that you wouldn't want to raise its profile but it deserves a thread in its own right especially for someone like myself who, with only a passing interest in golf, stumbled across it. Take care and hope that you will have the opportunity to fully appreciate your change of home soon enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    definitely worthy of it's own thread IMO, stay strong @Sillybilly

• Options
    On the golf front, I’m back out after work today and hoping to squeeze out a 3hr 18 holes. Not expecting to play as well as Monday’s opener though!
  • Options

Thanks Jean.  The warmth from all my different groups of friends has been very moving. I need targets to fight for and a Fanny snog in Crossbars is right up there!  I fully intend to collect.  I’ll keep you all posted. Best. Jim aka Sillybilly
    Under normal circumstances SB the mere mention of a "Fanny Snog" would have been greeted with this

However considering the circumstances we can forgive you in this case.

On a more serious note and joking aside I wish you all the very best mate for a speedy recovery and getting you mobility back, I am sure if you stay as positive as you sound you will breeze it. 
  • Options
    Anyway I played at littlestone Warren today ..conditions were far from benign..I played to my handicap and just for good measure I played to my partners handicap aswell..I was awful 
  • Options
    Went up the range in prep for a round tomorrow, tee'd up the big dog. Straight as an arrow, just over 285 yards. The other 49 balls were shite. Bodes well!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Playing the 9 hole at The Cave (Boughton, near Faversham) Saturday morning as a gentle reintroduction. Experting to spend as much time in the bushes as on the fairways
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Anyway I played at littlestone Warren today ..conditions were far from benign..I played to my handicap and just for good measure I played to my partners handicap aswell..I was awful 
    One of my favourite courses in Kent. Maybe a bit short in places but some great holes. I used to work in Hythe & often played a twilight round (on my own) in the summer months. Think my best score round there was in the mid 80's, which for a 19 handicapper I thought was rather good.
  • Options
    38 points on Monday, 25 points and an awful hook today. 

Don’t you just love this bloody game?

You can have your sombrero back @b@bobmunro

:-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Up at Redlibbets again today. Better than Monday but finished double double triple to wreck my card 😡
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Love Littlestone Warren such a fun course the Championship is awesome was due to play this coming Sunday on the Warren but have had to withdraw will be back down there soon
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Up at Redlibbets again today. Better than Monday but finished double double triple to wreck my card 😡
    First time I played it on Tuesday despite the greens still recovering can’t fault it great course hoping to get a game again on Wednesday afternoon was happy with my 96 especially as I was struggling with my new clubs still need to dial them in 
  • Options
    Anyone out this morning? Considering thermals and woolly hat!
  • Options
    Enjoyed Blake’s yesterday. Very very windy though. Card killer in all honesty. Parred the island hole though which I was buzzing about!
  • Options
    Played chartham park, today greens were very good. Shot 38pts off 16. Blobbed the 1st and last holes!!🤣. Good course that one.
  • Options
    My first game tomorrrow since lockdown ended.  Longest I've gone without playing.  Not expecting good things!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    My first game tomorrrow since lockdown ended.  Longest I've gone without playing.  Not expecting good things!
    MY first round back was my best for years but I’ve tanked since! Funny old game 
  • Options
    Silvermere down near Cobham was in fantastic nick last Friday, with a really honest price for the round too. 17/18th hole are really good there. Played Darenth on Thursday too, also in nice condition
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    3 under par it is then