Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyone been out yet ?

My first game back will be on Monday at Limpsfield chart ..... might have to have a good net session prior to get the slice/hook out of my swing !! - on Tuesday I have a club fitting for ORKA clubs looking forward to it 
  • Options
    Was out yesterday but only managed 9 as course was too wet and so was I. Have had the whole bag out since trying to dry it all. Kitchen stinks of
     damp golf stuff

Was looking so forward to a two-day run of Charlton and golf, and turned out to be a right let down. Completed the hat trick with my cheer up curry giving me the guts last night as well :-) 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Anyone been out yet ?

My first game back will be on Monday at Limpsfield chart ..... might have to have a good net session prior to get the slice/hook out of my swing !! - on Tuesday I have a club fitting for ORKA clubs looking forward to it 
    Luckily I’m a member at a links course so course is playable despite rain. Went out Weds for 1st time in 4 weeks and shot 78 off back tees and a bit breezy so quite pleased, putting maybe a little rusty at the start cost me a couple and a couple of mishits along the way but I was relatively happy.

It’s the second rounds back off long breaks that always kill you so I feel sorry for my Winter League betterball partner tomorrow!
  • Options
    I am playing on Sunday at Godstone, only reasonably priced one we could get at short notice. 

I hadn’t updated my last 3 rounds on here which were
    23rd Oct - Southern Valley, shot 100. Got absolutely drenched. 
    25th Oct - Tudor Park, Maidstone. Shot 98. Course was wet(ish) but I stayed dry. 
    26th Oct - Pedhams, shot 101. VERY windy. 

Hoping to get out 3 or 4 times before 2021
  • Options
    I had The Addington booked for today but cancelled as it's in Surrey and I'm a tier 3 leper.

So I'm playing West Malling Monday then will probably put away the clubs 'til March. If my dad wants to play Littlestone Warren I'll go there though, it's cheap, short and links so is ideal winter golf. I can't be bothered with muddy parklands anymore.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Anyone been out yet ?

Luckily I’m a member at a links course so course is playable despite rain. Went out Weds for 1st time in 4 weeks and shot 78 off back tees and a bit breezy so quite pleased, putting maybe a little rusty at the start cost me a couple and a couple of mishits along the way but I was relatively happy.

It’s the second rounds back off long breaks that always kill you so I feel sorry for my Winter League betterball partner tomorrow!
    What links are you a member of ?
  • Options
    First day back tomorrow at Redlibbets. And with my brand new Taylormade SIM max driver!!!  Can’t wait.  One more sleep 😬
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RedPanda said:
    I had The Addington booked for today but cancelled as it's in Surrey and I'm a tier 3 leper.

So I'm playing West Malling Monday then will probably put away the clubs 'til March. If my dad wants to play Littlestone Warren I'll go there though, it's cheap, short and links so is ideal winter golf. I can't be bothered with muddy parklands anymore.
    I was supposed to be at The Addington too today and out for beers tonight then play there tomorrow.   Alas I'm Tier 3 so up here in Derbyshire.  Played Wednesday at 7.45am, this morning and am playing tomorrow. 

Just nice to get back out.

Got some Hot Mitts for my birthday - much needed in the Derbyshire Dales in Winter!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    31 points this morning but played better than that. Gorgeous sunny winters morning and perfect for golf. Didn’t need those hot mitts @superclive I was actually sweating!

great to be out walking with the lads again 
  • Options
    31 points this morning but played better than that. Gorgeous sunny winters morning and perfect for golf. Didn’t need those hot mitts @superclive I was actually sweating!

I played Wednesday afternoon in similar conditions. Greens were in good nick & made a change to be playing off the front of the tees. 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Anyone been out yet ?

What links are you a member of ?
    Sorry @magic1999 only just picked this up. I’m a member at Newquay.

40 mph wind today, lovely. Everything becomes difficult especially long putting.
  • Options

You don't live in Derbyshire! 
  • Options
    Played Monday at Limpsfield Chart despite the foggyish conditions and a 4:45 hours round with the slow group I play with shot an 83 extremely happy with that. Had my club fitting yesterday and am 80% sure I will go with the Orka clubs just need to get the wife to release the funds this close to Christmas lol 
  • Options
    Shot 92 at Godstone on Sunday, which I am quite pleased with actually. 

They really didn’t time the tee’s very well. Had to wait about 15-20 minutes to begin the back 9 due to the queue on the first tee. 
  • Options
    Played at Southern Valley yesterday.  Great to get out and the course was in good nick for this time of year.
  • Options
    Drains so well there. 

• Options
    Played Southern Valley with @RedPanda a few years ago. Nice course, but got caught in a downpour mid-round (was sunny on 1st and 18th tees) and absolutely soaked to the bone.
  • Options
    Played at Southern Valley yesterday.  Great to get out and the course was in good nick for this time of year.
    I remember when it was first built. Too many bits of  rock & flint just under the surface of the fairways. Drains well because of the chalk........the village of which is at the bottom of Thong Lane.

Used to be my old "patch" when I worked at the Pru. Riverview Park, Higham & Shorne. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out in an hour, squeeze a round in before football. 
  • Options
    poxy time trying to play over xmas - considering getting a flexi membership down at pedham so i can get on, i can only play once a week so a full membership somewhere probably isn't worth it for me. 

28th December - due off at pedham at 10.25 phonecall day before saying carry only chap i play with wont and hasnt got a carry bag, so booked cray valley in just to get out, before setting off called them said trolleys fine just no buggies, get there and rules had changed on the 20 minute drive there so now no buggies, so couldnt play there

booked Chelsfield lakes for 31st through golfnow 8.25am tee off, email came in this afternoon chelsfield are members only between xmas and new year ffs

have got a round at southern valley for Saturday morning at 8.10am fingers crossed i can get out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    poxy time trying to play over xmas - considering getting a flexi membership down at pedham so i can get on, i can only play once a week so a full membership somewhere probably isn't worth it for me. 

28th December - due off at pedham at 10.25 phonecall day before saying carry only chap i play with wont and hasnt got a carry bag, so booked cray valley in just to get out, before setting off called them said trolleys fine just no buggies, get there and rules had changed on the 20 minute drive there so now no buggies, so couldnt play there

booked Chelsfield lakes for 31st through golfnow 8.25am tee off, email came in this afternoon chelsfield are members only between xmas and new year ffs

have got a round at southern valley for Saturday morning at 8.10am fingers crossed i can get out. 
    I've played golf at some courses over the years that really should have been closed. One in Essex which had standing water on most fairways......tee shot would invariably land with a splash with obviously no run. One in Sussex was so muddy I nearly lost my shoe as it got stuck in the mud. Played Hassocks on NY Day about 15 years ago. Freezing cold with rock hard greens & ponds totally frozen over, so much so you could skim it across to the other side without the ball getting wet.  Madness.
  • Options
    Playing Westerham tomorrow but snow is forcast overnight in the area so fingers crossed the weather people are wrong!
  • Options
    Due to play southern Valley tomorrow 🤞, has there ever been a suggestion of a Charlton life society day. Obviously not everyone would be able too, but for those that are local...ish!!.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I've played golf at some courses over the years that really should have been closed. One in Essex which had standing water on most fairways......tee shot would invariably land with a splash with obviously no run. One in Sussex was so muddy I nearly lost my shoe as it got stuck in the mud. Played Hassocks on NY Day about 15 years ago. Freezing cold with rock hard greens & ponds totally frozen over, so much so you could skim it across to the other side without the ball getting wet.  Madness.
    Played a round today at Stapleford Abbots in Essex and it was exactly as you just described, down to the exact detail! Waterlogged everywhere. Carry only. Dirty stagnant water everywhere. Greens frozen up. They also only left 5 mins between tee times and were running behind. My tee time was meant to be 11 and we were queuing from about 10:50. Didn’t tee off until about 11:30 and by that time there were about 6 or 7 two balls queuing behind us. Never played in those conditions before and I didn’t enjoy it which was a shame. Didn’t have a good round today score wise. 

Played on Monday at North Downs near Westerham and the course conditions were nice, except that out of 18 holes there were 17 temporary greens which made it tricky. Stark contrast to today’s round. 
  • Options
    Played Southern Valley yesterday, never seen so many people on a golf course. If you get stuck behind a few groups on the 2nd tee as we did, try not to worry as everything had spaced out by the time we got to the 3rd tee.
  • Options
    Playing Westerham tomorrow but snow is forcast overnight in the area so fingers crossed the weather people are wrong!
    I'm playing 9 at Limpsfield Chart just past westerham tomorrow afternoon, I saw the weather and am hoping it will be ok
  • Options

Join ReadyGolf currently 7 courses to play at with another 13 to be added in April
  • Options
    Just moved to Tier 4 in the announcement.  No visitors at our place.  Have managed to book Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday next two weeks.

Beats wanking myself blind