Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyone got some suggestions as to a good 9 hole other than Lullingstone?

Been to Pedham which is fun, Birchwood which was dull as dishwater and not well kept. 

Not played all that much golf but keen to get into it, especially as my stepson seems to be enjoying it.

Ideally looking for something a bit more challenging than Pedham but different to Lullingstone which is where I've played 90% of my golf.
    I'm assuming too far, but Hever Castle is a good 9hole, challenging, basically half an 18 eg. Par 4's mainly a couple par 3's and a 5.  a couple of water holes which are awkward means you need to be accurate and one of them about 160 yards to go over it. Recommend it highly, i normally play Pould wood to get back into it then move onto the 9 at hever so i can get an idea before going the full 18
    Played the 9 hole Princes Course Sunday - loved it. Thanks for the suggestion @johnnybev1987
    No worries, not a bad little 9 hole, how did you get on? I find its mixed a couple tough holes (the water ones specifically) i usuallly go to bed into going 18. Going 18 tomorrow at poult wood, looking forward to it. 

I went the driving range last night, wanted to do 9 somewhere but mate was a bit indecisive and didn't end up going, i dont really feel it ever benefits me. Mainly as i dont really have a clue with my stance, if im not hitting it well i cant really adjust. 

Does anyone have any good drills to do at the driving range? i saw someone with a small pole they would use and put by the ball looked good as it had somewhere in the middle so you could gauge your swing.  

Probably might invest in some lessons soon, never really got round to it but just feel like im so hit and miss, short game generally good but all seems to be on the day and some days my stance/swing just feels too far out to correct.
  • Options
    Not sure I do any particular drills but I try not to just aimlessly hit balls - it doesn’t matter if you’re striking them well if they’re 50 yards off line! 

I try and pick a flag and hit certain shots into it, for example a 7 iron draw, and then move on once I’ve hit 5 in a row that I think would hit the green.

I’m playing today, doesn’t get much better in this weather - can’t wait! 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Not sure I do any particular drills but I try not to just aimlessly hit balls - it doesn’t matter if you’re striking them well if they’re 50 yards off line! 

I try and pick a flag and hit certain shots into it, for example a 7 iron draw, and then move on once I’ve hit 5 in a row that I think would hit the green.

I’m playing today, doesn’t get much better in this weather - can’t wait! 
    Lovely, enjoy yourself and play well A2R! 

Thats kind of what i was doing, first trying to hit the ball well, then aim for certain points/ the odd net. Keep straight, i have never really enjoyed the driving range as it doesn't feel like normal golf to me, felt i enjoyed the putting green after (well mainly chipping off the green and sank a few.

I started with a driver, then 9 off the deck, 7 and the fairway, tried to mix it up a bit try to gauge the stance for each club just doesn't really feel productive. 

Edit- Actually debating whether to go tonight to the range just for a bit of practice or even just the putting green, i live like 5 mins from the Ridge
  • Options
    Anyone got some suggestions as to a good 9 hole other than Lullingstone?

Been to Pedham which is fun, Birchwood which was dull as dishwater and not well kept. 

Not played all that much golf but keen to get into it, especially as my stepson seems to be enjoying it.

Ideally looking for something a bit more challenging than Pedham but different to Lullingstone which is where I've played 90% of my golf.
    I'm assuming too far, but Hever Castle is a good 9hole, challenging, basically half an 18 eg. Par 4's mainly a couple par 3's and a 5.  a couple of water holes which are awkward means you need to be accurate and one of them about 160 yards to go over it. Recommend it highly, i normally play Pould wood to get back into it then move onto the 9 at hever so i can get an idea before going the full 18
    Played the 9 hole Princes Course Sunday - loved it. Thanks for the suggestion @johnnybev1987
    No worries, not a bad little 9 hole, how did you get on? I find its mixed a couple tough holes (the water ones specifically) i usuallly go to bed into going 18. Going 18 tomorrow at poult wood, looking forward to it. 

I went the driving range last night, wanted to do 9 somewhere but mate was a bit indecisive and didn't end up going, i dont really feel it ever benefits me. Mainly as i dont really have a clue with my stance, if im not hitting it well i cant really adjust. 

Does anyone have any good drills to do at the driving range? i saw someone with a small pole they would use and put by the ball looked good as it had somewhere in the middle so you could gauge your swing.  

Probably might invest in some lessons soon, never really got round to it but just feel like im so hit and miss, short game generally good but all seems to be on the day and some days my stance/swing just feels too far out to correct.
    I went round in 47. I am crap but I did manage to par the 3rd and 5th.

Just fluffed a few holes which is frustrating but does mean I could shave 5/6 off with some practice.
  • Options
    Oh - just realised the app I user calculates "points" which I think you guys all use.

have no idea what it means, but I got 19 points.
  • Options
    Oh - just realised the app I user calculates "points" which I think you guys all use.

have no idea what it means, but I got 19 points.
    Thats a solid score SE10, both points and actual score. I forget what i normally get as not played it for a year lol but essentially you are scoring under 100 18 holes so miles better than me :):smile:

I dont play scores but didn't someone say if you consistently get 35-40 points on a full round your handicap is too high, so probably not a 28 handicapper which would make sense as you got 47 for 9 holes. I got 21 handicap on a ladies one when i hadn't played for years and last time i played it got like 14 lol i am not good enough for 28 handicap, but i'd say most is the consistency and not playing enough.
  • Options
    Johnny get a mate to video you on your phone taking a shot, once from behind and another from side on. You’ll be surprised looking at your own swing and will help you identify aspects you might be doing wrong or could improve. Feet position, backswing too far, lifting head, too close / far to the ball etc
  • Options
    Johnny get a mate to video you on your phone taking a shot, once from behind and another from side on. You’ll be surprised looking at your own swing and will help you identify aspects you might be doing wrong or could improve. Feet position, backswing too far, lifting head, too close / far to the ball etc
    Thanks AFKA, i will give it  a shot. I feel some days my swing/ stance feels more natural its just the days its not is where i really struggle as i am too far off line and make it difficult for my self. I need to put the work in really as never really played enough to get better but when younger i had lessons and was generally pretty good but so young that i probably have forgotten all that i learned. 
  • Options
    Played at Redlibbets yesterday, was a lovely course. Bit hard considering I am still beginner level, but I was assured by those I was playing with that I did well for a beginner. Definitely looking to play more and go to the range at least twice a week
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Played at Redlibbets yesterday, was a lovely course. Bit hard considering I am still beginner level, but I was assured by those I was playing with that I did well for a beginner. Definitely looking to play more and go to the range at least twice a week
    I heard it’s a nice course, is it a private course? I played Lully yesterday, 1st game in a year, some good, some bad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's very good advice.
    Also, the best tip I was ever given by a professional was to drive your right elbow towards the ball as you start your downswing. It does many things - in to out swing, forces weight shift to your left leg, keeps your hands ahead of the club head, avoids the 'wing' that can appear between your right arm and your body, and increases rotation through the ball.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    I heard it’s a nice course, is it a private course? I played Lully yesterday, 1st game in a year, some good, some bad!
    I’m pretty sure it’s a private course. Was very busy, we had to tee off from the 10th. Had course Marshall’s driving around keeping track of things and asking people to hurry along. Was in very good condition too. Was also my first game of the year and like you, some good and some bad. Definitely know what I need to work on!
  • Options
    I played Lully too yesterday, haven’t played it in years and was surprised by it little 82 too :-) 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

That's very good advice.
    Also, the best tip I was ever given by a professional was to drive your right elbow towards the ball as you start your downswing. It does many things - in to out swing, forces weight shift to your left leg, keeps your hands ahead of the club head, avoids the 'wing' that can appear between your right arm and your body, and increases rotation through the ball.

100% correct.  I still have a "flying elbow".   Apparently Nicklaus had it and Freddie Couples, but it is ok, so long as you say, your first move is tucking it back in, which flattens out the swing and helps to hit it more inside.

Not as easy as it looks.   My big miss is left of the course, which so long as you only really miss one side, is a lot more manageable than missing it both sides!

• Options
    supaclive said:
    bobmunro said:

That's very good advice.

100% correct.  I still have a "flying elbow".   Apparently Nicklaus had it and Freddie Couples, but it is ok, so long as you say, your first move is tucking it back in, which flattens out the swing and helps to hit it more inside.

Not as easy as it looks.   My big miss is left of the course, which so long as you only really miss one side, is a lot more manageable than missing it both sides!

Yes. It doesn't really matter what you do on the back swing as long as you start the down swing in the right position and drive that right elbow.
    Certainly hasn't held Jim Furyk back!
  • Options
    Managed to play a few rounds in last couple of weeks and if this keeps up over the summer I can see by the time we can all start going football again I may well prefer spending my time with this instead. The current batch of games on the telly is doing nothing for me. 
  • Options
    playing cobtree saturday  morning - never played before 
  • Options
    I might be playing there too, maybe around 11, my friend keeps mentioning it and said he will book it. Never been also lol might see you there, you never know lol 
  • Options
    I might be playing there too, maybe around 11, my friend keeps mentioning it and said he will book it. Never been also lol might see you there, you never know lol 
    Its in good nick. The back 9 is easier than the front from memory. 
  • Options
    Had 18 at West Kent yesterday a disappointing 102 handicap now up to 20.1 need it back below or on 18 took me 5 holes to get going only 3 pars but driver average for the round was 235 so happy apart from the few that leaked right 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Never been a great fan of the driving range. It feels unnatural to me and I always end up just trying to smash the thing. My game is 90% rhythm. My biggest failing is a tendency to swing too fast  Creeps in when I’m in the groove and playing well. There is a subconscious desire to “give it some” which only makes it all go pear shaped. I’d much rather just go out and play to practice. I only ever use the range if I develop a serious fault that needs repetitive drills to solve. Every few years I get a dose of the “unmentionables” (rhymes with “wank” but hugely less enjoyable). That needs a range session to sort and for those who understand these things, it is for the best that I get the furthest booth to the right!!!!  

Jealous of all you guys out there at the moment. Local clubs have seen a huge influx of membership enquiries.  Good for the balance sheet but I didn’t much care for Dartford last week when I took the dog for a walk. Couldn’t move. Never see the place so busy and loads of unfamiliar faces. Wonder if they will all renew next year. 
  • Options
    I hardly ever go to the driving range. Much rather play a few holes so you get to use every club in the bag than wallop the driver 30 times. If I do ever go to the range I try to use the chipping area just as much. Just as many strokes are lost around the green with dodgy chipping as with a wayward drive.
  • Options
    Being the most miserable shit person golfer (play off 20 but prolly nearer 24) I Dont go on the range cos if I hit a good one , I get the hump I’ve wasted a good shot on the range , I hit a bad one I’ve got the hump cos I’m shit , basically always got the hump even if I hit a good one on The course I got the hump I can’t hit a good one all the time . 
    Golf winds me up as do most things in life .... viva la lockdown 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Played Lydd over the weekend, had a mare but lovely place to play, giving it another go on Thursday.
  • Options

Lovely day.

Played solid with nothing spectacular but scored well for 35 points.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Is that Ruxley?
  • Options
    London Club mate 
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    I played Lully too yesterday, haven’t played it in years and was surprised by it little 82 too :-) 
    You weren’t the 2 ball in front of us were you? Only 1 set of clubs between the 2 of them... 82 is good! I did 46 on the back 9 but 50 on the first 9...
  • Options
    Sollydog said:
    Played Lydd over the weekend, had a mare but lovely place to play, giving it another go on Thursday.
    Yep......nice little track. Can get a bit much with the swan shit  but otherwise not a bad course to play & usually fairly quiet.