Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Holidaying in Norfolk and playing Hunstanton on Tuesday.

28 handicapper playing a tricky links course in potentially 40 mph winds. 

Oh good!
    I remember playing Felikstow in a gale. First hole runs alongside the sea & as the wind was coming that way the tee shot was aimed about 45° out to sea just so it had a chance of making it onto the fairway. 
  • Options
    Still waiting for my shoulder surgery. Finally got a date for end April. No golf for me till mid summer. Poo!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Had to do this.  New irons, three lessons, a swing thought clicking..... 

Shot a 72 today.  +2. Best. Round. Ever.

Today I am playing in a team comp.  I guarantee I'll be crap!
    Bonus points for including the Valley railway in the pic
  • Options
    Which course @supaclive ?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Which course @supaclive ?
    Chevin in Derbyshire.  Where I live now.
    So today was a 4 ball better ball, pairs stableford competition.   My playing partner didn't turn up, leaving me needing to play in a Pairs comp, on my own off 3/4 handicap.....

All of our rounds from November to March are non qualifying.   Gutted- I'd be down to 5 if I could have submitted both!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I thought this thread was about being not very good? I’m going backbit the takeover thread!
  • Options
    Very good point @Solidgone

However.....

Nobody will be rushing on here to post “I was shite today, I scored 19 points, had a strop on 7 and threw my wedge further than the ball on 15”

And no - I didn’t play today....
  • Options
    24 points on Monday at Basildon at a society meet off 18 that was a poor score but in theory the course should not have been open waterlogged greens on a few of the holes boggy minefield on a few fairways 
  • Options
    Played a boggy Westerham in really shite weather last Sunday. Went out in 60, depressing. Worse now than when I was 14.

anyone played Lewes Golf Club before? Alright?
  • Options
    I played at wrotham Heath on Monday 2nd time in about 4 months last time out I shot 87 this time 103 on the joys of golf 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played a boggy Westerham in really shite weather last Sunday. Went out in 60, depressing. Worse now than when I was 14.

Went out in 60??? Not all hero’s wear capes 👍
  • Options

I've played Lewes a couple of times before  but last time was over 10 years ago so cant remember too much about it.. Not bad little track although it is a bit compact at times. Great views & a couple of nice holes. Fond memories of the downhill par 5......wedge shot right over the pin for my 3rd shot leaving a 5ft putt for my birdie.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    I played at wrotham Heath on Monday 2nd time in about 4 months last time out I shot 87 this time 103 on the joys of golf 
    Not sure about Wrotham heath. Hate the funny par 5 (3rd?) and usually lose a ball right, left or long on it. Then there are the 3 holes over the road.....then you cross back again to finish off your round. Wouldn't want to be a member there (sorry if you are) but not many other decent clubs the area though (West Malling too busy & Kings Hill too expensive)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    magic1999 said:
    Not sure about Wrotham heath. Hate the funny par 5 (3rd?) and usually lose a ball right, left or long on it. Then there are the 3 holes over the road.....then you cross back again to finish off your round. Wouldn't want to be a member there (sorry if you are) but not many other decent clubs the area though (West Malling too busy & Kings Hill too expensive)

I'm with you on Wrotham Heath - played it a couple of times and can't say I enjoyed either even though I played reasonably well.

Was a member at West Malling for many years and enjoyed it. Spitfire course better than the Hurricane in my opinion and it always surprised me how most wanted to play the latter. Great set-up there with a good clubhouse and the pro shop was superb with great professionals - Duncan, John and Ash. But I haven't played it for 12 years since I've been up north so not sure what it's like now.

Do not like King's Hill at all - full of people who think their sh*t doesn't stink!
  • Options
    I always enjoyed King's Hill but only played on society days. Never played Wrotham Heath but it was an option we looked at before joining Redlibbets 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I always enjoyed King's Hill but only played on society days. Never played Wrotham Heath but it was an option we looked at before joining Redlibbets 
    Seems like all Taxi drivers like the courses around West Kingsdown. I wonder why 😉
  • Options
    If I was to be a member it would be Addington palace but it's £1700 a year great course but not worth that money

• Options
    Lewes for me and @RedArmySE7 tomorrow and hoping one of the East Sussex National courses reopens for Monday
  • Options
    @Taxi_Lad How is Redlibbets getting on after all the rain? Any temp greens? Cheers. I might go there next week. 

Played Gillingham today, mediocre layout but it's only £18 twilight and the greens ran surprisingly well. 
  • Options
    Came back from Berlin after two weeks off.  21 points off 9.  Bit better yesterday.  35pts at The Addington.  So much rain everywhere but at least courses are open.

Was off to Marbs for next weekend but flights cancelled and golf courses are being shut too....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020

I've been invited by the owner of The Addington to play there, hopefully he’s good for his word. I'll 100% revisit after the revamp, I really like Mike Clayton and his ideas.

Based on Spain and other rumours, all golf courses will soon be closed. So in a 3 week space I'm missing out on Swinley Forest, The Berkshire, Carnoustie, 5 St Andrews courses and Dunbar. We had 40 Americans & Canadians flying over for St Andrews (a No Laying Up event), what a damn mess.

I'll have to disappear once this is all over and try to make up for it. St Andrews aren’t taking anymore bookings until 2022 :(

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I've been invited by the owner of The Addington to play there, hopefully he’s good for his word. I'll 100% revisit after the revamp, I really like Mike Clayton and his ideas.

Based on Spain and other rumours, all golf courses will soon be closed. So in a 3 week space I'm missing out on Swinley Forest, The Berkshire, Carnoustie, 5 St Andrews courses and Dunbar. We had 40 Americans & Canadians flying over for St Andrews (a No Laying Up event), what a damn mess.

I'll have to disappear once this is all over and try to make up for it. St Andrews aren’t taking anymore bookings until 2022 :(

And just to put the cherry on the cake mate, you are missing out on your game at Dartford with me.   :disappointed:  Being out with a dodgy arm suddenly doesn't seem like such a big deal.  Just hoping my surgery doesn't get cancelled!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

We've managed for 9 of us to book The Belfry (Brabazon and Derby) for this Saturday and Sunday but it's looking grim in the short term isn't it !
  • Options

I think this weekend you'll be okay, then who knows when we'll be allowed out again. Probably after your arm's healed, Sillybilly.

I can't see the USPGA going ahead in May, then the US Open looks dicey as they also have to host qualifying rounds. Plus New York sounds like a hotspot. There are far more important things obviously, but it does suck after using golf plans to get through the long winter months.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

You wont miss much at Carnoustie if they are still playing off the winter tees. Played there one Spring & half the holes were shortened & playing off mats or missing out holes altogether.

I did enjoy the new St Andrew's Bay course (courtesy of Scottish Widows) & Swinley forest is a gem. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    @Taxi_Lad How is Redlibbets getting on after all the rain? Any temp greens? Cheers. I might go there next week. 

Played Gillingham today, mediocre layout but it's only £18 twilight and the greens ran surprisingly well. 
    Sorry missed this post. Redlibbits drains very well so no temporary greens. Playing well but the course is looking a bit weather beaten
  • Options
    I’m not sure if courses will close?

Book online, pay online and then walk around the countryside with no close contact.

Boris said do not go in confined places. Golf is anything but.

I would expect them to shut their F&B operations potentially but not close the courses with Green Fee revenue.
  • Options
    Some Scotush courses have honesty boxes. Remote ones mind you, like Montrose or Macrehenish. Rock up, put your tenner in & off you go........

• Options
    Some Scotush courses have honesty boxes. Remote ones mind you, like Montrose or Macrehenish. Rock up, put your tenner in & off you go........

Sounds amazing 
  • Options
    What will we all do without golf? I was feeling like things were starting to finally fall into place. I’ve been a consistent 28 handicapper but after a few lessons I’d found some improvement. Not being able to play for a lengthy period is not a prospect I’m looking forward to.