Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Extension of ULEZ to South Circular

Comments

• Options
    edited February 11

And at least some of the improvement has happened under Khan:

Dramatic’ plunge in London air pollution since 2016, report finds

Exclusive: Number of people living with illegal pollution levels has fallen by 94% since Sadiq Khan became mayor:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/03/dramatic-plunge-in-london-air-pollution-since-2016-report-finds

Apparently Vancouver has been one of the least polluted cities in the world for donkeys years btw:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

And at least some of the improvement has happened under Khan:

Dramatic’ plunge in London air pollution since 2016, report finds

Exclusive: Number of people living with illegal pollution levels has fallen by 94% since Sadiq Khan became mayor:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/03/dramatic-plunge-in-london-air-pollution-since-2016-report-finds

Not my point though. 

That is London as a whole I assume and my comments relate to the latest extension to outer London and the way in which it was introduced most recently. 
  • Options
    The AQI in London right now is 34
    Near me it’s 41
    In Bexley it’s 24
    In Vancouver it’s 3. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:
    London could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow and it wouldn't make a blip on global carbon emissions.

If people are serious they have to address the real polluters - not attack working class people in Biggin Hill.

Weird how people cheer on a car free existence. I appreciate there are downsides but the reason so many people own cars is because they give you freedom to do the things you love (when they're not being used to commute).

We're championing policies that will ensure our future generations have less freedom than we do/did for very little gain.
    Climate change is a bugger isn't it. If only we could roll the clock back and pretend everything is rosy.
    As if punishing people living in Bromley is the goal to fixing climate change.

Don't worry Xi Jinping and his coal burning empire are closely watching the habits of Charlton fans to understand how to proceed next.

'Don't do anything that affects my life choices. It's everyone else mate. Make them change, not me'.

Classic nimbyism and totally wrong. We all have a part to play. The Mayor of London (the clue is in the job title) as some power to make changes for the better within his city. The only power he has in China or elsewhere is the soft power to demonstrate that we are a city that takes environmental issues seriously and are doing what we can to minimise emissions. It is useless shouting at people overseas to make changes if we don't make them ourselves. We will never stop the global pollution crisis if we turn it into a them against us battle where everyone blames everyone else. We will only be successful if every city makes whatever changes they can and uses their experience to positively influence others. 
    That's fine Stig, as long as we're all able to acknowledge that we're all sacrificing our disposable income and general quality of life to make zero impact on climate change. It's one hell of a deal!
    Improving the environment, including the air that we breathe, as well as improving the chances that our children and grandchildren actually have a planet to live on, is probably worth ‘sacrificing [a bit of] our disposable income’. In fact there’s plenty of evidence to suggest we’ll be better off in the long run using renewable energy. All these things improve our quality of life, so how would it be ‘sacrificing our quality of life’?
    Anyway, why are you so obsessed with commenting on London’s mayor and our environmental controls when you live in Canada? 
    Stupid point isn't it. I'm from Bromley, my whole family is in Bromley, I'm returning home later this year. I can comment on whatever I want. Nobody would object to you whining about the US election because you're not American would they?

I'm not even convinced ULEZ will improve the quality of the air compared to the do-nothing scenario. People replace their cars all the time and older cars gradually get phased out. The air quality in London has improved massively compared to 50-60 years ago without a poor tax.
    And air quality has improved significantly since the introduction of ULEZ. 
    Not yet quantified for outer London of course where the starting point was not as bad. 

Believe TFL said it will be many months before measurements can be taken to show what level of change. 
    What do you base that on?

It varies from place to place but there are plenty of places just as bad as central London. I have posted research on this before. I use Bexley as the example because it stood out to me (where I grew up) and is relevant to a lot of people here. Basically because of its unique topography (it sits in a dip) and prevailing winds it basically gets central London pollution dumped across the Borough. This has led to the highest childhood incidence rate of things like asthma of all the London boroughs. There was a clear problem here that needed solving, action has been taken to solve it. Is it a perfect solution? No but when is there ever a perfect solution.
    Can you point me to’ the evidence that says pollutants in Bexley (not just any individual blackspot) are worse than inner London  post ULEZ?

As a resident of Bexley I dont perceive that I am routinely breathing particularly poor air relative to any suburban area. 

Of course there will be better / cleaner areas outside of London but 
    Happy to be corrected.  
    I’m really confused now. I thought you said you live in Vancouver?
    He didnt

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:
    London could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow and it wouldn't make a blip on global carbon emissions.

If people are serious they have to address the real polluters - not attack working class people in Biggin Hill.

Weird how people cheer on a car free existence. I appreciate there are downsides but the reason so many people own cars is because they give you freedom to do the things you love (when they're not being used to commute).

We're championing policies that will ensure our future generations have less freedom than we do/did for very little gain.
    Climate change is a bugger isn't it. If only we could roll the clock back and pretend everything is rosy.

Don't worry Xi Jinping and his coal burning empire are closely watching the habits of Charlton fans to understand how to proceed next.

'Don't do anything that affects my life choices. It's everyone else mate. Make them change, not me'.

Classic nimbyism and totally wrong. We all have a part to play. The Mayor of London (the clue is in the job title) as some power to make changes for the better within his city. The only power he has in China or elsewhere is the soft power to demonstrate that we are a city that takes environmental issues seriously and are doing what we can to minimise emissions. It is useless shouting at people overseas to make changes if we don't make them ourselves. We will never stop the global pollution crisis if we turn it into a them against us battle where everyone blames everyone else. We will only be successful if every city makes whatever changes they can and uses their experience to positively influence others. 
    That's fine Stig, as long as we're all able to acknowledge that we're all sacrificing our disposable income and general quality of life to make zero impact on climate change. It's one hell of a deal!
    Improving the environment, including the air that we breathe, as well as improving the chances that our children and grandchildren actually have a planet to live on, is probably worth ‘sacrificing [a bit of] our disposable income’. In fact there’s plenty of evidence to suggest we’ll be better off in the long run using renewable energy. All these things improve our quality of life, so how would it be ‘sacrificing our quality of life’?
    Anyway, why are you so obsessed with commenting on London’s mayor and our environmental controls when you live in Canada? 
    Stupid point isn't it. I'm from Bromley, my whole family is in Bromley, I'm returning home later this year. I can comment on whatever I want. Nobody would object to you whining about the US election because you're not American would they?

I'm not even convinced ULEZ will improve the quality of the air compared to the do-nothing scenario. People replace their cars all the time and older cars gradually get phased out. The air quality in London has improved massively compared to 50-60 years ago without a poor tax.
    Not yet quantified for outer London of course where the starting point was not as bad. 

Believe TFL said it will be many months before measurements can be taken to show what level of change. 

It varies from place to place but there are plenty of places just as bad as central London. I have posted research on this before. I use Bexley as the example because it stood out to me (where I grew up) and is relevant to a lot of people here. Basically because of its unique topography (it sits in a dip) and prevailing winds it basically gets central London pollution dumped across the Borough. This has led to the highest childhood incidence rate of things like asthma of all the London boroughs. There was a clear problem here that needed solving, action has been taken to solve it. Is it a perfect solution? No but when is there ever a perfect solution.
    Can you point me to’ the evidence that says pollutants in Bexley (not just any individual blackspot) are worse than inner London  post ULEZ?

As a resident of Bexley I dont perceive that I am routinely breathing particularly poor air relative to any suburban area. 

Happy to be corrected.  
    He didnt

That is a different member
  • Options
    but isn’t this measure highly variable and linked also to climate / weather?

TFL I understand have said the metrics they use won’t be available for many months. 

Need to measure on a like for like basis I assume?

any views on my concerns on costs? 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:

Happy to be corrected.  
    He didnt

That is a different member
    I demand a recount. 

Fair point though. 👍
  • Options
    Stig said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:

1) there is evidence that shows the first 2 stages of the ULEZ did improve air quality so that supports the theory that this expansion will also do so.

2) yes people replace their cars all the time. This scheme uses behavioural science techniques to nudge people in an economically efficient way to make that upgrade sooner or to switch modes or to pay towards the pollution they create.
    Regarding point 2 the issue for me was the lack of notice for people at a time when cash was / is short for many. So less a nudge more a shove. 

The timing was not great. 

It could have been done in a way to first win hearts and minds but was not. 

I’m still wondering about the lack of published MI on number of fines issued, revenue actually collected (not billed), number of repeat offenders and registered address analysis of where non compliant cars are. I think that will be interesting.  
    Lack of notice? The first discussion on this was 8 years before it was brought in. First announcement 5 years before it actually happened (was delayed slightly I think). It was all over the news and discussed everywhere for the last 2 years before it was in place. I simply don't buy that argument.

Also I think you're thinking about it wrong. Terms like "repeat offenders" don't make sense. It's a scheme based on the polluter pays principle - I.e. you can either not pollute or you can pay for the damage you do. 
    Yes lack of notice. The imposition for outer London had limited notice and was post Covid when the poorer paid had less cash in many cases to make the adjustment. 

Repeat offenders are interesting to me. If someone inadvertently gets a fine and corrects their behaviour that is good. If they don’t but pay the fine that’s an interesting insight on their ability to afford an alternative car. If they repeat and don’t pay the fines they are arseholes!

A quick look at the opening page of this thread suggests that this might not be the case.
    Really ? How much notice is acceptable do you think post COVID / middle of a cost of living crisis?

It was only confirmed in late 2022 as I understand : Mayor Khan announced on 25 November 2022 that the ULEZ would be extended to the rest of Greater London on 29 August 2023.

The point being the 'timing' of it was difficult for many.
    Apologies, I was confusing expansion to N/S Circulars with the wider GL expansion. Agree, it's not a great deal of time. But, then people are dying, how much time is it acceptable to wait?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:

1) there is evidence that shows the first 2 stages of the ULEZ did improve air quality so that supports the theory that this expansion will also do so.

2) yes people replace their cars all the time. This scheme uses behavioural science techniques to nudge people in an economically efficient way to make that upgrade sooner or to switch modes or to pay towards the pollution they create.
    Regarding point 2 the issue for me was the lack of notice for people at a time when cash was / is short for many. So less a nudge more a shove. 

The timing was not great. 

It could have been done in a way to first win hearts and minds but was not. 

I’m still wondering about the lack of published MI on number of fines issued, revenue actually collected (not billed), number of repeat offenders and registered address analysis of where non compliant cars are. I think that will be interesting.  
    Lack of notice? The first discussion on this was 8 years before it was brought in. First announcement 5 years before it actually happened (was delayed slightly I think). It was all over the news and discussed everywhere for the last 2 years before it was in place. I simply don't buy that argument.

Also I think you're thinking about it wrong. Terms like "repeat offenders" don't make sense. It's a scheme based on the polluter pays principle - I.e. you can either not pollute or you can pay for the damage you do. 
    Yes lack of notice. The imposition for outer London had limited notice and was post Covid when the poorer paid had less cash in many cases to make the adjustment. 

Repeat offenders are interesting to me. If someone inadvertently gets a fine and corrects their behaviour that is good. If they don’t but pay the fine that’s an interesting insight on their ability to afford an alternative car. If they repeat and don’t pay the fines they are arseholes!

A quick look at the opening page of this thread suggests that this might not be the case.
    Really ? How much notice is acceptable do you think post COVID / middle of a cost of living crisis?

It was only confirmed in late 2022 as I understand : Mayor Khan announced on 25 November 2022 that the ULEZ would be extended to the rest of Greater London on 29 August 2023.

The point being the 'timing' of it was difficult for many.
    Apologies, I was confusing expansion to N/S Circulars with the wider GL expansion. Agree, it's not a great deal of time. But, then people are dying, how much time is it acceptable to wait?
    In this case I’d have said 12 more months given the cost of living pressures. As I say timing in this instance.  
  • Options
    Yes, that does sound reasonable to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely those effected by ULEZ the worst are people who need a car for work and they would have been effected since it came in for inner London. So why the commotion for it being introduced to outer London when things were quiet previously? Do people not drive up to the South Circular?
  • Options
    If this was only about pollution, and 10% or less of vehicles are non compliant, then why didn't we simply ban non compliant cars and give a much greater scrap scheme, the cost of all the cameras, outsourcing etc must come to a tidy sum that would have been better used helping the poorer out of non compliant vehicles for everyone's benefit.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    If this was only about pollution, and 10% or less of vehicles are non compliant, then why didn't we simply ban non compliant cars and give a much greater scrap scheme, the cost of all the cameras, outsourcing etc must come to a tidy sum that would have been better used helping the poorer out of non compliant vehicles for everyone's benefit.
    I suspect they were trying to avoid the bad publicity they’d receive for banning certain cars. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I don't know if the mayor has the power to ban someone from owning a particular type of vehicle. Even if he has, he'd still need some way of controlling traffic coming into the city from outside. I bet the number of vehicles coming in daily from places in the home counties is in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Unless you're going to physically set up road blocks (just imagine how that would go down), cameras are probably the simplest most cost effective control method.
  • Options
    You can provide all the evidence that something is effective or not working and it still won't be enough in this era of fake news and misinformation.
    And wilful refusal to believe something that goes against your preconceptions. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:

Happy to be corrected.  
    He didnt

He bonks in Vancouver, visits Washington state, but lives in Bexley. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stig said:

Happy to be corrected.  
    He didnt

He bonks in Vancouver, visits Washington state, but lives in Bexley. 
    Not sure it matters where he is. It's still a discussion forum and he's still entitled to an opinion.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    It's so that he can still parade around London in a convoy of ICE 4x4s at the expense of the rate payer and non compliant ULEZ vehicles.

Labour have shown time and again that they hate ordinary folk having personal transport and will do anything to stop it, or failing that, raise funds from it.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan is acting under instructions from a Conservative government on this, not Labour. He is also on board with international agreements and efforts to tackle emissions and global warming.
    There is no evidence that the expansion of ULEZ is part of a Labour Party attack on people with personal transport.
    Mind you, the Labour decision to downgrade the Green initiative they have been promising is a very bad move.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sadiq Khan is acting under instructions from a Conservative government on this, not Labour. He is also on board with international agreements and efforts to tackle emissions and global warming.
    There is no evidence that the expansion of ULEZ is part of a Labour Party attack on people with personal transport.
    Mind you, the Labour decision to downgrade the Green initiative they have been promising is a very bad move.
    Sounds like Labour are just Tory puppets?

Worth noting that he is very quick to blame the Tory's but yet he bows down to them and carries out there dirty work then? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

Worth noting that he is very quick to blame the Tory's but yet he bows down to them and carries out there dirty work then? 
    He was talking about the 4x4. It’s actually the Met police who insist on the armour plated Range Rover because of all the death threads he received. 
    When has Khan ‘bowed down to the Tories’?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

He was talking about the 4x4. It’s actually the Met police who insist on the armour plated Range Rover because of all the death threads he received. 

Isn't ULEZ a Tory policy first brough around by eberyone's favorite grifter Boris?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

Isn't ULEZ a Tory policy first brough around by eberyone's favorite grifter Boris?
    Yes, but fully supported by Khan when he was made mayor. That’s not bowing down, it’s just common sense. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

It is:

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/ultra-low-emission-zone

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today (Thursday 26 March) confirmed the introduction of the world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), and welcomed an increased fund of £65 million to help support London taxi drivers’ transition to zero emission capable taxis.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “The world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone is an essential measure to help improve air quality in our city, protect the health of Londoners, and lengthen our lead as the greatest city on earth. With additional funds announced today, more help is on the way for taxi drivers to support their transition to the latest technology in greener cabs. Together we can ensure everyone who lives, works in, or visits our city has the cleanest possible air to breathe.”

Prime Minister David Cameron said: “I welcome this announcement which is a world first and great news for London, helping to enhance the quality of life and creating opportunities for companies who develop and manufacture this kind of technology. This will build on the UK’s strengths in low emission technology and the Government is backing this initiative with £25 million of support.”

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

Yes, but fully supported by Khan when he was made mayor. That’s not bowing down, it’s just common sense. 
    Depends how you want to see it.

For me, for someone that is so quick to blame the Tories for abslolutley everything he wasn't half quick to implement there policy. Also very quick to moan about the cost of living brought on by this shameful government, yet hikes prices on a whim and then finds £30m to give to unions to shut them up

He is just another grifter

• Options
    edited February 12
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

It is:

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/ultra-low-emission-zone

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today (Thursday 26 March) confirmed the introduction of the world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), and welcomed an increased fund of £65 million to help support London taxi drivers’ transition to zero emission capable taxis.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “The world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone is an essential measure to help improve air quality in our city, protect the health of Londoners, and lengthen our lead as the greatest city on earth. With additional funds announced today, more help is on the way for taxi drivers to support their transition to the latest technology in greener cabs. Together we can ensure everyone who lives, works in, or visits our city has the cleanest possible air to breathe.”

Prime Minister David Cameron said: “I welcome this announcement which is a world first and great news for London, helping to enhance the quality of life and creating opportunities for companies who develop and manufacture this kind of technology. This will build on the UK’s strengths in low emission technology and the Government is backing this initiative with £25 million of support.”

We all know that it was a Tory policy at that time, and fair play to them. 
    But what you have to ask yourself is ‘would the current Tories have supported Khan if he wanted to bring in a ULEZ, if there wasn’t one already? 
    They clearly wouldn’t, because they would see a political opportunity in opposing it, because these days they seem to have no principles, which is partly why are they are so far behind in the polls. 
    And I don’t think ‘a grifter’ (you may not know what the word means cafc999) would expand the ULEZ zone knowing he’d face a lot of opposition from the right, and conspiracy theory types, and potentially lose a lot of votes. He did it because he thought it was the right thing to do, not the popular option that so many modern day politicians would have chosen. 
    Do you think Khan or Labour would have lined the pockets of their mates and supporters during a national crisis, like the Tories did with PPE? The very definition of grifting.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan is not carrying out Tory ‘dirty work’.
    He is acting according to the rules.
    People complain about protestors blocking the road and tell them to use the system, well Khan is using the system.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sadiq Khan is not carrying out Tory ‘dirty work’.
    He is acting according to the rules.
    People complain about protestors blocking the road and tell them to use the system, well Khan is using the system.
    Were you just as supportive to Boris when he was just "using the system"?