Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 2018/2019 (In general)

Comments

• Options
    don't think it matters really......we wont get through to the 3rd round even if we do win this tie & we wont be getting into the play-offs either.
  • Options
    Even if we get to the third round we blew it last year by missing out on Spurs

That only comes around every five / six years for us so even if we get there we'll end up with a trip to Blackburn or Wigan!!
  • Options
    Mansfield unbeaten in 11 games and we have a a bucketful of injuries. Banker home win sadly.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Mansfield unbeaten in 11 games and we have a a bucketful of injuries. Banker home win sadly.

Dunno, they've drawn a lot of them whilst their last three wins have come against: Morecambe | Grimsby | Crewe...

and those three dont usually challenge at the top end of League Two
  • Options

don't think it matters really......we wont get through to the 3rd round even if we do win this tie & we wont be getting into the play-offs either.

Golfie are we twins
  • Options

The prize money is worthwhile at this level - certainly if you are of the mentality that thinks cutting breakfasts, bottled water and paper towels is worthwhile.

First Round Proper £36,000
    Second Round Proper £54,000
    Third Round Proper £135,000
    Fourth Round Proper £180,000
    Fifth Round Proper £360,000

Is that cumulative ? Se if we get to 3rd round we will have already banked £90,000 from first two rounds .
  • Options

The prize money is worthwhile at this level - certainly if you are of the mentality that thinks cutting breakfasts, bottled water and paper towels is worthwhile.

Is that cumulative ? Se if we get to 3rd round we will have already banked £90,000 from first two rounds .
    That's my understanding. Also, we only have one league match in the next month. I doubt if that's ideal in the middle of the season in terms of maintaining match fitness.
  • Options

That's my understanding. Also, we only have one league match in the next month. I doubt if that's ideal in the middle of the season in terms of maintaining match fitness.
    Two isnt it? - Bristol Rovers (24th) | Burton Albion (27th)
  • Options

That's what I thought and what the OS says. Also there is a game against SwanseaU21s albeit not league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's it, stay positive haha!
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

That's it, stay positive haha!
    It's ok Golfie didn't give us a cat in hell's chance last night especially when Reeves and Djiksteel were ruled out. It's all reverse psychology so what he is really saying is we're going to do the cup and league double :smiley: .
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shame that lb is not putting a strong side out - pisses me off as i never thought we would be the club to do it, id happily get to the 3rd round get a big london club away have a day out and never know get a result, we are sat 6th in league 1 - not exactly overachieving are we.

Especially for those of us making the trip on a Sunday. Not asking for LB to put out our starting 11, but just hope the line-up doesn't take the piss.
    I'm going Sunday and I hope he picks the under 11s
    Are you on the empty coach?
    G
    Croydon said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

shame that lb is not putting a strong side out - pisses me off as i never thought we would be the club to do it, id happily get to the 3rd round get a big london club away have a day out and never know get a result, we are sat 6th in league 1 - not exactly overachieving are we.

Especially for those of us making the trip on a Sunday. Not asking for LB to put out our starting 11, but just hope the line-up doesn't take the piss.
    I'm only going to see us play at a new ground. The same with Burton later this month.

Whatever side Bowyer puts out I'm sure it will be the right one at the time and all those lads will give it their all.

It is what it is.
    That's fine for you and the other's going with that mentality but I'm going in the hope of a decent away day.

I trust Bowyer and I would back our u23s to do a job on Mansfield anyway, but it would just be nice to take the cup seriously for once.
    Why?
    Assume you're asking why it would be nice to take the cup seriously?

Because being Charlton fans, we have very few things we can get excited about. That run to the quarter final a few seasons back was the only decent thing this club has done with Roland in charge. Yes it ended in tears and a dogshit performance but it was class heading up in the morning of the game and seeing the motorway lined with Charlton scarves/flags in car windows. Or Fulham away a few seasons before that, one of the all time great away days.

I know the FA cup has lost a lot of its appeal but I still enjoy watching the draw, especially if we make it to the 3rd round and have the chance of getting a big side, or even better a derby. I get that people don't want to risk first-teamers, but if we can have a cup run without being detrimental to the league campaign then what's the harm?
    Yes I enjoy watching the draw for the cup and like hundreds of others with Mansfield away being a new ground shouted with joy .
    5 minutes later though reality kicked in , we are know going to have to wait a few days to find out what day were playing.
    Then we find out Sunday 12.45 ko then a good percentage of those going are now not.
    Like last season there were about 12 of my lot going afc changed it to the Sunday 2 ended up going.
    Would've been at least 15 going up If Mansfield was on the Saturday there's just 2 going maybe 3.
    For a lot of us the cups not what it was years ago and most teams are not bothered with the cup , if your one of the top 10 teams in the championship at the moment do you really want to be going on a little cup run with the premier league calling.
    With Taylor and Igor out the next league game do we really want to risk grant and ajose.

Same with my lot Chris.
    Maybe 10 of us would have gone had it been Saturday.
    2 of us now.
    The f.a.cup has been devalued by the ever-growing of the premier league and the champions league.
    Sad
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Are you on the empty coach?
    G
    Croydon said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

I'm only going to see us play at a new ground. The same with Burton later this month.

Whatever side Bowyer puts out I'm sure it will be the right one at the time and all those lads will give it their all.

It is what it is.
    That's fine for you and the other's going with that mentality but I'm going in the hope of a decent away day.

I trust Bowyer and I would back our u23s to do a job on Mansfield anyway, but it would just be nice to take the cup seriously for once.
    Why?
    Assume you're asking why it would be nice to take the cup seriously?

Because being Charlton fans, we have very few things we can get excited about. That run to the quarter final a few seasons back was the only decent thing this club has done with Roland in charge. Yes it ended in tears and a dogshit performance but it was class heading up in the morning of the game and seeing the motorway lined with Charlton scarves/flags in car windows. Or Fulham away a few seasons before that, one of the all time great away days.

I know the FA cup has lost a lot of its appeal but I still enjoy watching the draw, especially if we make it to the 3rd round and have the chance of getting a big side, or even better a derby. I get that people don't want to risk first-teamers, but if we can have a cup run without being detrimental to the league campaign then what's the harm?
    Yes I enjoy watching the draw for the cup and like hundreds of others with Mansfield away being a new ground shouted with joy .
    5 minutes later though reality kicked in , we are know going to have to wait a few days to find out what day were playing.
    Then we find out Sunday 12.45 ko then a good percentage of those going are now not.
    Like last season there were about 12 of my lot going afc changed it to the Sunday 2 ended up going.
    Would've been at least 15 going up If Mansfield was on the Saturday there's just 2 going maybe 3.
    For a lot of us the cups not what it was years ago and most teams are not bothered with the cup , if your one of the top 10 teams in the championship at the moment do you really want to be going on a little cup run with the premier league calling.
    With Taylor and Igor out the next league game do we really want to risk grant and ajose.

Same with my lot Chris.
    Maybe 10 of us would have gone had it been Saturday.
    2 of us now.
    The f.a.cup has been devalued by the ever-growing of the premier league and the champions league.
    Sad
    Won't be there now either mate even though it's Northish, due to a prior commitment.
  • Options
    All well and good having the chance of a cup game against our higher placed rivals palace or millwall but fuck that we’re shit compared to them and I don’t want them laughing at us anymore as they turn us over and even if we win we’re still in a league or two below .
    Let’s get promotion and smash the filthy scumbags in the league ....
    Well law of averages and all that ..
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Yes, forgot Burton. Checkatrade is of no relevance since it makes no sense to hold players back from the FA Cup and then play them in that.

I still think it makes no sense to leave fit players with no game for two and a half weeks and then another ten days after Burton. Plus people like Ajose, Lapslie and others will need games anyway. Not saying I’d play Taylor but I don’t think it’s similar to MK Dons or Stevenage.
  • Options

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2018/04/do-deep-runs-in-the-fa-cup-affect-league-form/

Football supporters are funny. Myths constantly repeated become truths. The hard evidence suggests that cup runs have a positive effect on League form.

Not sure if this proves anything? Correlation doesn’t mean causation.

Obviously better teams will do well in both competitions. If you’re winning cup games then you are of course more likely to be winning in the league as well.
  • Options
    We're 2/1, Mansfield 13/10
    Those odds for us seem a little bit generous, but I'll wait until I see our starting eleven
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Roll on, roll off subs ?
    I guest that's the reason it's a 12.45 KO.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Not sure, i watched Mansfield beat Carlisle 1-0 earlier in the season and Mansfield missed a hatful of chances, they should easily have won, they had to dig deep and hold on at the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was Eeyore your favourite character in Winnie The Pooh by any chance?
  • Options
    Thomas | Wagstaff | Pigott all start tonight for Wimbledon...
  • Options

What's the Wimbledon line up got to do with Mansfield v Charlton
  • Options
    clb74 said:

This is the original FA Cup thread
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Haringey and Mansfield play in the same kit.
  • Options
    kellycafc said:

clb74 said:

Well take Mansfield v Charlton off then
  • Options
    clb74 said:

kellycafc said:

clb74 said:

I think that was added solely to confirm the tie when we came out of the draw
  • Options

clb74 said:

kellycafc said:

clb74 said:

I think that was added solely to confirm the tie when we came out of the draw
    Will let you off then
  • Options
    Anyone going Bromley v Peterborough tomorrow
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Anyone going Bromley v Peterborough tomorrow

Nah, everyone is starting their journey up to Mansfield.