Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Also with Oshilaja, Dazzler ...... you've got him down as illness Covid 19, missed 3 games.

A minor point but just for the record, Deji wasn't ill. 
    He was required to self-isolate as had shared a room with Dylan Levitt, who was the Covid victim.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    That final two tweets were references to Gilbey without the name calling.

Shame Vennings is not around. His injury has not been asked about? That should have been asked once Henry to the first team squad was mentioned. 
    and morgan i would say who hasn't done much the last 2 games 
  • Options
    Good to hear Jake getting praise as he has been our consistently best midfielder recently. Still think it was mad people were calling for him to be sold in this transfer window.

Is Henry a midfielder? 
    The thing is with Jake he has benifited with other players being injured so he has had to play a run of games - which has meant it has really starting clicking for him the last couple.

If we had a fully fit squad, with no suspensions then Bowyer would never have given him that chance because he would have been in and out of the team - whether because that's because of a poor game, or a tactical change. 

That's why I would like to see a Williams, or Maddison (when fit) given a run of 5 or so games in the same sort of position. 
    agree 100% - i don't think jfc is tyhe answer long term but he has grabbed his chance and id like williams to get that same chance / run of games now 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's obvious why he's pissed off at times, but this really shows the injury issues we have had so far this season:

Famewo and Shinnie in amber as due to return soon. Maddison date updated on the sheet to 2021!
    Training injuries to Pearce, Ohilaja, Gilbey, JFC, Famewo, Maddison, Inniss.
    It looks like 48 games missed through training injuries.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

And he/we did it in training.
  • Options
    Fair play - those comments from Bowyer are spot on and JFC deserves the praise. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    What position does Henry play? 
    Defensive Midfielder
    But not really defensive in any sense. More Pirlo than Claude Makélélé
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Defensive Midfielder
    Yeah very creative player. 

He’s not the ‘bastard’ I’d like us to have at the minute but I expect big things from Henry. Tbh I was hoping he’d have had a bit more first team exposure even if that was out on loan. Think he may get a loan at the end of the window, as may a few of the youngsters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Defensive Midfielder

He’s not the ‘bastard’ I’d like us to have at the minute but I expect big things from Henry. Tbh I was hoping he’d have had a bit more first team exposure even if that was out on loan. Think he may get a loan at the end of the window, as may a few of the youngsters
    Henry is only 17 though.

It's a bit too young for most players to go out on loan - away from home, family, friends etc.
    Another year or two - and why not, he should then be ready to play in senior football.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    mart77 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Defensive Midfielder

Henry is only 17 though.

It's a bit too young for most players to go out on loan - away from home, family, friends etc.
    Another year or two - and why not, he should then be ready to play in senior football.

I get you Oggy but I’d love him to have a few months at the likes of Bromley or Ebbsfleet. 
  • Options
    Gilbey just looks so heavy and clunky in everything he is doing, but he is lean and meant to be fit as a fiddle.

As you say, the actual achilles maybe troubling alongside confidence.

He's actually missed a fair few chances since his return, given away key free kicks that have led to goals, lost men that have led to goals. Not good or what was expected from a former captain and poty.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    mart77 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Defensive Midfielder

Henry is only 17 though.

I get you Oggy but I’d love him to have a few months at the likes of Bromley or Ebbsfleet. 
    I mean, he may get the chance and do well ........ but typically, 17 year olds are not loaned out until they have developed more.
    But having said that, Henry has been involved in Charlton matchday squads before ... he had that run out last year in the FA Cup v West Brom as a 16 year old, if I remember.

And he's travelling with the matchday squad to Bristol on Saturday.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Also with Oshilaja, Dazzler ...... you've got him down as illness Covid 19, missed 3 games.

A minor point but just for the record, Deji wasn't ill. 
    He was required to self-isolate as had shared a room with Dylan Levitt, who was the Covid victim.

Yeah I know but technically he missed games because of an illness indirectly. It's only to help me keep track as to whether it's match, training, Illness or occurred on intl duty.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    Gilbey just looks so heavy and clunky in everything he is doing, but he is lean and meant to be fit as a fiddle.

As you say, the actual achilles maybe troubling alongside confidence.

He's actually missed a fair few chances since his return, given away key free kicks that have led to goals, lost men that have led to goals. Not good or what was expected from a former captain and poty.
    That's what happens with slow feet and reduced mobility ..... you give away free kicks because you're not quite quick enough in the tackle; you lose your man. It affects your turning ability and acceleration as well. 

You see it all the time with older players, who because they can't quite get there, tend to lunge in or catch their opponent a split-second late.
    Players who have had achilles injury show the same weaknesses. I'm pretty convinced it's Gilbey's problem - he's trying to do what he's always done; and must be as frustrated as you or I that he can't quite get it quite right.

I can relate to this in vets football, nothing wrong with my achilles though 😉
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

Wasn't it an achilles injury that Igor Vetokele got for us as well. When he finally returned he was never quite the same. 

• Options
    edited January 2021
    An achilles injury also effectively finished the career off Roy McFarland ex Derby and England CH. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's obvious why he's pissed off at times, but this really shows the injury issues we have had so far this season:

Famewo and Shinnie in amber as due to return soon. Maddison date updated on the sheet to 2021!
    Would love to see an Injury table of all the teams  in league one, we’d be 10 points clear!!
  • Options
    Gilbey has looked pony each time I have seen him but you don't win PoTY by being rubbish (even in one of the weaker teams in the division last year). 

I think he will come good, it is just a matter of whether he is given the time and whether we can afford to give him the time.
    I actually think he’s improved in the last two games and thought he was hard done by to get hauled at half time on Tuesday. Still not at the level we expected but I’ve started to see more of a player in there recently. Looking at the post match comments, I could be in a minority though....
  • Options
    Bows going to have a selection headache in midfield again now. Watson/Pratley, JFC/Morgan/Shinnie and Gilbey all available again.
  • Options
    Bows going to have a selection headache in midfield again now. Watson/Pratley, JFC/Morgan/Shinnie and Gilbey all available again.
    Not to mention Williams and Maddison what with the latter who rejoined training this week
  • Options
    It won't stop Bowyer wanting to sign another midfielder though...
  • Options
    It won't stop Bowyer wanting to sign another midfielder though...
    Excellent! I hope it is a permanent.
  • Options
    So Maddison is back in the fold? Despite not mention of him being fully fit, half fit, injured?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    So Maddison is back in the fold? Despite not mention of him being fully fit, half fit, injured?
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-will-have-trio-back-for-posh-but-marcus-maddison-misses-out/

So this was the last mention but also thought I read he'd returned to training on Monday