Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    There are lots of ways of looking at this. Should Morgan be playing out on the wing? Arguably not, he’s a CAM to the best of my knowledge and CAMs ordinarily have poor or average defensive qualities, hence why they play in a CAM role. The truth is we built a squad around lots of DM, CM and CAM options, the only genuine wide players we have had to play with this season are Leko, Green and McGeady (who now works better as a drifter, as his legs are not what they once were). 

On the flip side, if your coaches have spent weeks drilling the importance of your defensive duties and IF he was specifically asked to stick to the player which ran through like a rash and switched off for no more than a few seconds, I can understand Bowyer’s frustration, as ultimately the penalty cost us at least a point.

My preference would be that Morgan and Green face some ‘hair dryer’ treatment, but all done behind closed doors. I certainly feel worse rather than better, as a Charlton supporter, hearing our players being publicly cristicised.
  • Options
    We must not forget these players are not the same age. 

People are letting Bonne off, but he's 4 years older than Albie...

Albie is doing well for his second season running and is only IMO being hindered by being hooked at half time, time and time again. Especially as it doesn't ever change the draw/loss into a win. 
  • Options
    It is basic but easily done. I think you are less likely to do it if you are going to get dug out for it though. That is less so for missing a chance.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Redrobo said:
    When defending, every midfielder needs to man mark ‘their’ player. If he goes to the toilet - you go with him. You do not switch off. You do not ball watch. You stay goal side of your player at all times, block or go with him. If he does get past you, think about stopping him.
    Do not let a goal be your fault. 

It is basic.
    Yes its basic. Very basic. But you don't sub the player at half time because of 1 mistake.

I'm going to be looking out for this tomorrow night & posting in the match thread everytime I see a player has made a mistake & should be subbed. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Redrobo said:
    When defending, every midfielder needs to man mark ‘their’ player. If he goes to the toilet - you go with him. You do not switch off. You do not ball watch. You stay goal side of your player at all times, block or go with him. If he does get past you, think about stopping him.

It is basic.
    Yes its basic. Very basic. But you don't sub the player at half time because of 1 mistake.

I'm going to be looking out for this tomorrow night & posting in the match thread everytime I see a player has made a mistake & should be subbed. 
    It might be 1 mistake that cost a goal, but how many other times has it happened though without conceding?

Reading scored the penalty on 3 minutes ..... if Bowyer really had it in for Morgan, he would surely have hooked him immediately.

But he didn't. And if he was targeting him, I doubt he would've even started Morgan in the first place.

Bowyer has gone on and on during the season about Morgan failing to do his defensive duties. And still Morgan doesn't track back or he ballwatches and loses concentration.

As RedRobo said above, it's basic.

At this level, a pro footballer is expected to  follow instructions, keep the team shape and apply 100% concentration. It's all Morgan has to do.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:

It is basic.

It might be 1 mistake that cost a goal, but how many other times has it happened though without conceding?

Reading scored the penalty on 3 minutes ..... if Bowyer really had it in for Morgan, he would surely have hooked him immediately.

But he didn't. And if he was targeting him, I doubt he would've even started Morgan in the first place.

Bowyer has gone on and on during the season about Morgan failing to do his defensive duties. And still Morgan doesn't track back or he ballwatches and loses concentration.

At this level, a pro footballer is expected to  follow instructions, keep the team shape and apply 100% concentration. It's all Morgan has to do.
    But if you just pick a midfield because they track back and do their defensive duties, you end up with no creativity. ONE goal from open play in 6 matches says it all
  • Options
    Yeah, I get that, Killer. And that's why Morgan is starting.

But I also get what Bowyer is saying: he's fed up telling Morgan to do the defensive tracking of his role. The fact that he didn't, left Oshilaja overloaded and exposed - and cost us a goal and the game.

Morgan has got to follow instructions. It's not fair on his team mates having to do his job as well as their own. And it's costing us points.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:

It is basic.

But if you just pick a midfield because they track back and do their defensive duties, you end up with no creativity. ONE goal from open play in 6 matches says it all
    Those days have gone. You have to do work harder in midfield than ever. There is not room for a player that wanders around spraying passes about when it suits them. 
    You lose the ball and you go and get it back. Bows punched a guy for not doing that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big performance needed tonight lads, stay focused and calm.
  • Options
    Big performance needed tonight lads, stay focused and calm.
    I’ll pass on to the relevant manager .....oh Parker ...yes m’lady 
  • Options
    It is Parker's big chance to be forgiven tonight :)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It is Parker's big chance to be forgiven tonight :)
    He clearly doesn't give a shit about CAFC.

Knowing him, he will hear that WBA are winning & realising that Fulham cant now get 2nd spot will take a few players off so as to rest them for the play-offs, thus allowing Wigan to win. 
  • Options
    The most interesting a bit was that we're going away again, but just to the Belfry, so not very far
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Sounds like you can still hear the hurt in his voice after relegation - Definitely sounds a bit more sombre compared to last season

Needs to get a few wins under his belt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like you can still hear the hurt in his voice after relegation - Definitely sounds a bit more sombre compared to last season

Needs to get a few wins under his belt
    Agree... You sense his trepidation... Will there a be an owner he can trust... will there be money...
    Definitely needs time and support which is clearly in short supply. 
  • Options
    Bats in the belfry!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I suppose one possible way around it would be a promotion bonus. Only payable in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Lee Bowyer has just sat down for his first pre-match Zoom press conference of the new season. A few quotes to follow... #cafc
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LB: “The start of a new season is always exciting. I know it’s going to be tough and a challenge, but if things play out like we’re hoping it will, or squad will look ok.” #cafc
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LB: “We’re trying to rebuild and every time we’ve tried to do that, a barrier has been put in front of us, so it’s frustrating.” #cafc
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LB: “We need to have a resolution soon, because if we don’t, it won’t be pretty. Hopefully we get the right resolution and the sooner that happens the better.” #cafc
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LB: “We need to put all this behind us and start rebuilding. We have to all pull together to build it back up.” #cafc
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LB: “As it stands today, we have two fit defenders and if you add the one that’s injured, that’s only three! We can’t bring people in for the money we can spend and we have no spaces left.” #cafc