Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Taylor

Congratulations to our former centre-back Matt Taylor for being appointed manager of Exeter at 36, one of the youngest in the EFL.

(This happened a fortnight ago, so apologies if someone has already mentioned it.)

Comments

• could actually see this. 
  • If Irving's the first to call this correctly I'll be so miffed, but he'd be a good appointment
  • This is a good shout . Roddy will obviously have a big say in who gets the job .
  • Worked with Ged Roddy.

Just saying
    Exeter have been decent but unexceptional this season, his managerial "halo" has slightly slipped perhaps
  • They have the second-best GD in League Two. That, more than points and position, is what sells this for me
  • they have some excellent striking options and should really be clear at the top. He is a young manager learning his trade I’m doing a decent job of it.  Give him a bit more time there
  • edited March 2021
    shirty5 said:
    A former Charlton first team centre half and a former Charlton youth team defender from the late 90’s were part of the Team Bath squad when Roddy and Paul Tisdale were part of the management of the University side. 
    Matt Taylor? Future manager perhaps?

Comment from 4th March. I thank you 😊 
  • Sponsored links:

• He could bring Ajose back with him
  • Would be an excellent shout. Interesting re Henry Irving's comment.
  • Wouldn't be upset with Taylor, however he hasn't managed a promotion for Exeter as yet and not sure what style of football Exeter play either.  I do look out for their results.  
  • Not for me
  • Chizz said:
    Leuth said:
    They have the second-best GD in League Two. That, more than points and position, is what sells this for me
    '...and, after careful consideration of all the available, willing candidates, we were excited to choose the one with the second best goal difference in the whole of League two...'
    But top scorers. And likes his teams to play attacking football. And will be in the play offs. And might get promoted as a result.
  • Struggling to keep them in the play-offs is what I was told, doesn't sound great!
  • Well pleased Exeter have made it up, great little club.
    They've been there or there abouts for ages now, they deserve promotion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Daughter is at Exeter Uni, nice weekend for me.
  • Our new manager if Jackson goes?…
  • Scoham said:
    Our new manager if Jackson goes?…
    I mentioned him last year but few seemed to like the idea at that time. He's managed Exeter for almost four years and 210 games now, a feat that not too many at any level achieves these days but there is a reason for that - Exeter have only lost 54 of those matches i.e. just one in four. 

The one player he might know how to get the most out of is Stockley - he scored 16 goals in 2018-19 for Exeter but was sold in the January for £750,000 to Preston.
  • cfgs said:
    Daughter is at Exeter Uni, nice weekend for me.
    Surely there are some more local woman around? Exeter seems a long way to go for our ex players daughter! 
  • Given that he was a keeper in the Everton Academy and for Matlock and Guiseley and didn't convert to being a CB 'til he was 24 when some bloke called Ged Roddy played him as a CB for Team Bath, Taylor really is an all round sportsman.
  • How Exeter City's fan-owned model secured League Two promotion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61223672
  • clive said:

How Exeter City's fan-owned model secured League Two promotion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61223672

Exeter President - "But Matt Taylor's recruitment in the summer shows it's not just the players he brings through. He's got an eye for a player as well that he can bring into the club and improve and mould them into a great team that's had superb cohesiveness this season."

Note that it's Matt Taylor who is responsible for development and recruitment. Not the owner. Not the Director of Football. But the Manager. On that basis, he probably wouldn't be a good fit for us after all.

• Sacked by Rotherham earlier today.