Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Was only 11/12 at the time but really enjoyed the 1978 World Cup in Argentina. Had never seen fanatical support like that before. Really enjoyed watching Holland and wanted them to win the final.

Other than that, 1990 was a great World Cup. England would have won it if they had got to the final. Same as Euro 96.
  • Options
    I was 9 in ‘66 and can still remember it clearly but too young to really appreciate it.

For England it is Italia 90 for me - fantastic highs but an incredible low for the semi-final.

For football it was easily’70 and the amazing Brazilians, although England were clearly the second best team - the quarter-final says otherwise of course.
  • Options
    I enjoyed Mexico '86. I was 10. Vividly remember Josimar's goals from RB for Brazil, was it against Northern Ireland and Pat Jennings?

But Italia '90 was so much better as could truly appreciate the football on display.

Cameroon turning over the Argies in the first game, Platt's goal in ET against Belgium with almost the last kick of the game - Dad bundling on top of me on the sofa screaming his head off, waking Mum up lol. Riykaard and Voller,

Think I watched every game of Italia '90.

'94 was rubbish apart from Ray Houghton, Denis Bergkamp against the Argies.
  • Options
    1998 by default. Michael Owens wonder goal v Argentina.

Aside from England being in the heart ...

I thought the 2014 world cup was outstanding.
  • Options
    Think Italia 90 for memories, France 98 for the football and legends playing in that tourney, Germany 2006 for being brilliantly organised, the weather, and the crowds.

South Africa 2010 can shove it up its arse for all reasons.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Not a world cup I'll admit.
    But euro 96 was my favourite tournament since the world cup in 1970.

You’re forgetting the the 1930 world cup when you were 12.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I enjoyed Mexico '86. I was 10. Vividly remember Josimar's goals from RB for Brazil, was it against Northern Ireland and Pat Jennings?

But Italia '90 was so much better as could truly appreciate the football on display.

Cameroon turning over the Argies in the first game, Platt's goal in ET against Belgium with almost the last kick of the game - Dad bundling on top of me on the sofa screaming his head off, waking Mum up lol. Riykaard and Voller,

The 94 World Cup was dreadful. The final epitomised it all.
  • Options
    I don't have that many football memories prior to Italia 90 (except for the Hillsborough disaster!) Which was when I was 10. Everyone at school was making predictions and talking about it, and I was glued to the semi against Germany. I wasn't massively into football then, but have fond memories of France 98 - I was in gran Canaria for the England Argentina game, and got properly mashed. Fun times. 2010 had it's fun moments as I'd been travelling for a year, and was in Thailand with a very international crowd. There were great parties for every game.
  • Options
    1970 - Brazil played football from another planet. Although I remember some of the later games in 1966, I was very young and 1970 was the first World Cup where I felt I understood the game. There was also something very exotic about the flickering black and white images from Mexico and, in those days, you didn’t know much about the other teams, which added to the allure (unlike now, when most of the best players are performing in the Champions League).

Happy memories of Italia 90 as well, given England’s renaissance in the later stages, although much of the tournament was a bit dull.
  • Options
    Argentina 1978.
    I was at uni and watched every game bar one which was a dead rubber.
    That Cubillas goal for Peru.
    Archie Gemmell for Scotland.
    Mario Kempes and the ticker tape receptions for Argentina. Never seen anything like it (apart from the Charlton balloons in the FA Cup game at Coventry).
    The game were Argentina needed to beat Peru by an unlikely 4-0 and they won 6-0.
    Wonderful memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1978. The ticker tape welcome the Argentininians use to get when they emerged onto the pitch still gives me goose bumps when I see reruns.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ok close the thread. All W/C's from 1966 onwards have now been mentioned :smile:
  • Options
    Mexico 1970.
    Not only my favourite but arguably the best ever.
  • Options
    1966 was my favourite for obvious reasons.

In terms of wonderful football generally that Brazilian side of 1970 made a real impression on me.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    1994. End of first year at university. My last exam finished on the morning of the opening match. Left the exam hall, bought a few beers and went back to the TV room (for any youngsters out there, there was one television between 150 of us), threw out all the geeks who were lined up for an afternoon of Star Trek, and relaxed into a tournament where I had no interest in the event other than to enjoy it. Got my end away that night as well.
  • Options

Oh & the Adidas Tango is the greatest football of all time

Not as good as this:

• Options
    1990 for me, what summer memories and I had hair back then!
  • Options

1982 was the first one i remember and probably my favourite, used to rush home from school as iirc there was games kicking off at 4.15pm that was the tournament where Robson scored in under a minute and Paolo Rossi was top scorer, also was brilliant watching Brazil.

This....remember rushing home & just getting in for kick-off. 30 secs later we were ahead....

Also the Italy v Brazil game was something special....
  • Options

Oh & the Adidas Tango is the greatest football of all time

Not as good as this:

"Fashanu....oh what a goal - that's a magnificent goal..."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

98 or 90 for me, although the latter tournament was poor looking back but I have good memories it - Gazza's tears, the England-Cameroon match, Nessun Dorma and World in Motion.

and 'phoning the Belgian embassy and singing 'one-nil' to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    1982 was the first one I can remember and my favourite by some distance. The semi-final between France and West Germany is still one of the greatest, if not the greatest World Cup matches ever. Also England wore an absolutely fantastic and iconic kit and had the greatest mascot ever in Bulldog Bobby.
  • Options

98 or 90 for me, although the latter tournament was poor looking back but I have good memories it - Gazza's tears, the England-Cameroon match, Nessun Dorma and World in Motion.

and 'phoning the Belgian embassy and singing 'one-nil' to them.
    So, you're the one to blame for Roland.
  • Options
    82 I think. It was the first time I saw England at a WC. Brazil were probably the best team I'd ever seen but that game v Italy was the best world cup match I can remember. And then France v West Germany in the semis with Schumacher the villain. But then they got their come uppance in the final.
  • Options
    20s into this. Apart from the '66 final, this is my favourite WC memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbD7hu3nBE8
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Didn't Bergkamp score against Argentina in 1998? If you're going to get on your weird anti-Argentina trip at least get it right!

• Options
    Brazil 2014 was very strong I thought. France 98 from a nostalgia perspective strikes a chord as does Japan/Korea 2002.

I've enjoyed every World Cup since the first one I watched in 1994, with the exception of South Africa 2010 which was absolutely dreadful on so many levels.