Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Native American History

13»

Comments

• Options

Ffs an interesting thread and you inject that ??

cant think what book it was in but reading about the Comanche if you saw them coming over the hill (if) it was best to feck off quick regardless of being native American,White or Mexican.

A fate worse than death

Gregory Michno
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

Thank-you, Peter.
    #metoo

Are you of Native American descent?
    No.
    Okay, your username is a racial slur for Native Americans.
    Really? No-one's ever mentioned that on here before.
    If they have I haven't seen it.

Why would you keep it if you knew it was a racial slur? Actually, why would you choose it in the first place?
    Charlton play in red. I have skin. I've offered - more than once - to change my name if people found their sensibilities so offended by it, but to date no- one has. You, I suspect, might be the exception. Complain to admin if you find it upsetting.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

Thank-you, Peter.
    #metoo

No.

Why would you keep it if you knew it was a racial slur? Actually, why would you choose it in the first place?
    Charlton play in red. I have skin. I've offered - more than once - to change my name if people found their sensibilities so offended by it, but to date no- one has. You, I suspect, might be the exception. Complain to admin if you find it upsetting.
    OK fair enough.
  • Options

cant think what book it was in but reading about the Comanche if you saw them coming over the hill (if) it was best to feck off quick regardless of being native American,White or Mexican.

The comanche (Southern Plains Tribe) for reasons I dont know, were perceived as being the most sadistic of tribes in terms of torture before death. This may be the reason why there was a saying in the US army to save the last bullet for yourself.

George Custer had two major wounds. One in the chest and one clean wound in the temple. There is one school of thought that the temple wound may have been self inflicted or carried out by his brother Tom at tge last knockings.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

SDAddick said:

Redskin said:

Thank-you, Peter.
    #metoo

No.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    @Redskin In today's political correct world, there are sone in America that find the term offensive. In recent years, there has been alot of pressue put upon Washington Redskins to change it's name.
  • Options
    Sooo, if anyone wants to get started reading up on this very interesting but not for the faint hearted subject...

The Barbarous years
    The peopling of British North America
    The conflict of civilisations, 1600-1675

By Bernard Baying

Savage Kingdom
    Virginia and the founding of English America

By Benjamin Woolley

Are both good serious reads.
  • Options
    The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens is excellent.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PeterGage said:

@Redskin In today's political correct world, there are sone in America that find the term offensive. In recent years, there has been alot of pressue put upon Washington Redskins to change it's name.

No, this is a term that's been a slur for a long time. There has been a longstanding campaign for the Redskins, Cleveland Indians, and various other professional and university teams to change their names and mascots from caricatures of Native Americans.

My parents' Alma mater for example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Illiniwek?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens is excellent.

stonemuse said:

Thanks. I was not aware of this book but I have ordered it from Amazon.Thanks again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apparently they were the greatest horse thieves on the Plains -and that is a compliment not an insult!
  • Options
    What a fantastic thread. Charlton Life at its best, well done Peter.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

The comanche (Southern Plains Tribe) for reasons I dont know, were perceived as being the most sadistic of tribes in terms of torture before death. This may be the reason why there was a saying in the US army to save the last bullet for yourself.

George Custer had two major wounds. One in the chest and one clean wound in the temple. There is one school of thought that the temple wound may have been self inflicted or carried out by his brother Tom at tge last knockings.
    Tend to go along with the suicide theory. In one account (from the Indian side)he was one of the first to be shot.
  • Options
    I have been overwhelmed by the interest on here - thank you

@WrightCharlie and @Davo55. Thanks for your kind offer to contribute. May I suggest that you follow the same course as me, by giving via Pay Pal: details are:

Wounded Knee District School
    On the confirmation of my last payment, the follow details were provided but I dont know if they are generic to the school or specific to my donation: ID 4P071883 UL849313.

Thanks very much
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

PeterGage said:

No, this is a term that's been a slur for a long time. There has been a longstanding campaign for the Redskins, Cleveland Indians, and various other professional and university teams to change their names and mascots from caricatures of Native Americans.

My parents' Alma mater for example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Illiniwek?wprov=sfla1
    Give it a rest.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

@WrightCharlie and @Davo55. Thanks for your kind offer to contribute. May I suggest that you follow the same course as me, by giving via Pay Pal: details are:

On the confirmation of my last payment, the follow details were provided but I dont know if they are generic to the school or specific to my donation: ID 4P071883 UL849313.

Thanks very much

Will do @PeterGage. Thanks, and great stuff from you.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

PeterGage said:

Thanks very much

Alan. Please let me know if your attempt to donate was successful. As I eluded to, I dont know how important the ID details that I provided are to the success of the transaction.

I am really grateful for your offer to donate.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

PeterGage said:

I know, Peter, there was no racial slight intended as any grown-up would appreciate.
    I'm thinking of asking AFKA if I might change my moniker to 'Paleface'.
    Good luck with your project, it sounds fascinating.
    You cannot go with "Paleface" Redskin.

#blacklivesmatter :smiley:
  • Options
    Redskin said:

PeterGage said:

I know, Peter, there was no racial slight intended as any grown-up would appreciate.
    I'm thinking of asking AFKA if I might change my moniker to 'Paleface'.
    Good luck with your project, it sounds fascinating.
    I dont have an issue with your CL name but just thought that may wish to know of the feelings in the USA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    PeterGage said:

Davo55 said:

PeterGage said:

Thanks very much

Alan. Please let me know if your attempt to donate was successful. As I eluded to, I dont know how important the ID details that I provided are to the success of the transaction.

@PeterGage

Pete - and anyone else interested

Donation made, and its very simple.

1. Google Wounded Knee District School
    2. Go to their web site, home page
    3. Top right hand of screen is a donate button, click on that
    4. Gives you an option to pay by PayPal or with a debit or credit card. I chose Paypal.
    5. Enter the amount you want send in US$, it will tell you how much that is in £GBP
    6. Confirm

Your ID must have been specific to you Pete.

Cheers. Hope to see you at the Valley next season, under new ownership.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

PeterGage said:

Davo55 said:

PeterGage said:

Thanks very much

@PeterGage

Pete - and anyone else interested

Donation made, and its very simple.

1. Google Wounded Knee District School
    2. Go to their web site, home page
    3. Top right hand of screen is a donate button, click on that
    4. Gives you an option to pay by PayPal or with a debit or credit card. I chose Paypal.
    5. Enter the amount you want send in US$, it will tell you how much that is in £GBP
    6. Confirm

Your ID must have been specific to you Pete.

Cheers. Hope to see you at the Valley next season, under new ownership.
    Thanks Alan. I shall certainly be back at The Valley under new ownership. We must share a beer or two when that scenario is in place.

Thanks Alan for your donation.
  • Options
    Hi @PeterGage I replied to your message before coming in to read this thread again so please ignore my suggestions on how to get the cash to you :smile: as I just followed Alan's lead and sent my donation direct to the School.
  • Options

Hi @PeterGage I replied to your message before coming in to read this thread again so please ignore my suggestions on how to get the cash to you :smile: as I just followed Alan's lead and sent my donation direct to the School.

Thanks @WrightCharlie, much appreciated.