Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zidane - Quits Madrid

Comments

• Options
    Nah. Wenger to Spuds to really make JohnboyUK's day! Ha!
  • Options
    To be fair he did work himself up to the job of being Real Madrid manager, from being B team manager (in the third division) then assistant to Ancelotti.

There is some talk here of Guti getting the job as he is currently youth team coach, but it will probably be too soon for him.
  • Options
    According to sky sports, Real Madrid have officially approached Pochettinho.

If that's true, I imagine he'll be off
  • Options
    BBC Sport understands that Potch's new contract has NO get out clause if certain clubs like Real Madrid make an approach. Sleep tight @JohnBoyUK
    for now...
  • Options
    When we are talking about the top managers, you have to assume they are getting a lot of money already! IMO Pochettinho has a job to finish at Spurs. He ought to try to finish it before he moves on if he has anything about him.
  • Options

When we are talking about the top managers, you have to assume they are getting a lot of money already! IMO Pochettinho has a job to finish at Spurs. He ought to try to finish it before he moves on if he has anything about him.

But what job is that? To win the Champions League? Because that's pretty unlikely. To win the Premier League? Because that will also presumably be harder in years to come with the resurgence of Liverpool, presumed resurgence of Chelsea, I suspect Arsenal will be better, etc.

Spurs are a good team, but I think they've hit their ceiling. Yes, they could go on a great run and win a domestic cup, but given their wage structure I think they've pretty much done what they can. To go to the next step would require serious investment and replacing some of their stalwarts, and I just can't see them doing that. I think the best they can hope for is to continue finishing second or third.
  • Options
    If he goes, he goes. Wouldn't blame him at all.

But if they want him, it needs to be done quick so we've got a chance of appointing someone half decent to replace him. I don't want Moyes, Pardew or Allardyce anywhere near Spurs.

Can see Levy going for Chrissy Hughton if Poch does go.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

But if they want him, it needs to be done quick so we've got a chance of appointing someone half decent to replace him. I don't want Moyes, Pardew or Allardyce anywhere near Spurs.

I hear Harry Redknapp is available...Triumphant return?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

David Wagner could be a decent fit.
  • Options
    Bet United are hoping Real fancy getting Jose back. Can't see it though.
  • Options
    Change of pace for Ronaldo? Hasn't he got an announcement to make? :smiley:
  • Options
    Stefco said:

Well thats the thing... can you imagine Ronaldo being told he can't play in Poch's pressing system until he run 10k in sub 34? I just can't see it happening.

I think that would just about finish me off... and no, I don't mean like that!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Media here see main contenders as being Pochettino, Klopp and Joachim Low.

Klopp would be a good shout imo. Strangely, and given all the stick I’ve given him over recent years, I think Wenger would do a good job there
    Good shout @elcobles
  • Options
    Get out clause or not, Spurs or Real Madrid is a no brainer.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Stefco said:

Well thats the thing... can you imagine Ronaldo being told he can't play in Poch's pressing system until he run 10k in sub 34? I just can't see it happening.

I think that would just about finish me off... and no, I don't mean like that!
    3-4 years ago, yes absolutely I could see him doing it. And it's not like he's declined since hitting 30. I think he's just more conscious of his age now, it's something Zidane was apparently very good at managing. But I think Ronaldo would do it if he felt he would be the center of attention and have the praise lavished upon him by the board (Perez) that he (Ronaldo) feels he is due. And I don't know that that will continue to happen under any manager.
  • Options
    News here says that Pochettino is out of the running as Levy won't negotiate, and the favourites now are Klopp and Allegri. Zidane might be going off to manage in Qatar.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

News here says that Pochettino is out of the running as Levy won't negotiate, and the favourites now are Klopp and Allegri. Zidane might be going off to manage in Qatar.

The "On The Continent" podcast had Jonathan Wilson on the other day, and he was talking about how certain managers fit certain clubs, and that those skills aren't always transferable. It was in relation to Zidane fitting really well at Madrid because of his managing of egos, and Diego Simeone, but I would also put Klopp in there. I really think both Klopp as a person and Klopp as a manager only works at certain clubs. His teams like to play a pressing and counterattacking style, and I don't know that that would translate well to Madrid. I saw his Dortmund really struggle to break teams down after teams learned to sit deep against them. And him as a person, I don't know how well it translates to a language (I'm assuming) he's not fluent in.

As discussed previously I think this might apply to Poch as well, though something tells me Poch might be able to change his style to fit his team a bit.
  • Options

Allegri 14/1
    Klopp 20/1
    Over here lol
    Wenger now 3/1 fave after Poch was ruled out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I stuck a fiver on klopp at 18/1 on Thursday

Can’t see it myself but thought the odds were decent
  • Options
    Given the unexpected departure of Zidane, and assuming they don’t have a plan/can’t get the guy they really want, giving Wenger a 2 year contract, wouldn’t be a bad plan. He doesn’t have to rebuild the team, and if they identify the man they want, paying off that last year is no problem for them
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

But what job is that? To win the Champions League? Because that's pretty unlikely. To win the Premier League? Because that will also presumably be harder in years to come with the resurgence of Liverpool, presumed resurgence of Chelsea, I suspect Arsenal will be better, etc.

Spurs are a good team, but I think they've hit their ceiling. Yes, they could go on a great run and win a domestic cup, but given their wage structure I think they've pretty much done what they can. To go to the next step would require serious investment and replacing some of their stalwarts, and I just can't see them doing that. I think the best they can hope for is to continue finishing second or third.
    How about winning something?
  • Options
    What a bizarre thought, that after all the years of "Wenger out" protests, he could end up at Real Madrid
  • Options

SDAddick said:

How about winning something?
    Right sorry I may not have been clear enough (and by the way my post reads as being snarky toward you which is not how I meant it, sorry about that), I don't think the allure of the FA Cup or the Carabao Cup would overwhelm the urge to take the helm at Real Madrid. I definitely agree that he needs to punctuate his time at Spurs by winning something, or at the very least making the Champions League final. But I don't see them winning the Premier League. I don't see them winning the Champions League. And then by process of elimination it's the FA or League cups.
  • Options
    Julen Lopetegui (Spain Manager) has been appointed the new Real Madrid boss
  • Options
    Come out of nowhere(was his name even in the frame)
  • Options

Julen Lopetegui (Spain Manager) has been appointed the new Real Madrid boss

Wow, good appointment. I'm a little surprised as he's spent so long in the Spain set up, and I thought he'd be the one to oversee the last step of the transition from that golden generation (Ramos, Pique, Iniesta) to the new generation who look pretty bloody good (Assensio, Isco, Thiago, Saul, etc.).

But hey, I bet Spurs supporters are breathing a sigh of relief.
  • Options
    Very surprised at this to be honest