Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve McClaren

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

Valley11 said:

I never really got the wally with the brolly thing. It was raining, big deal. Tabloids whipping up hate with catchy slogan shocker.
    And he did well at Boro getting into Europe and progressing.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having had bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Young and unemployed coaches in this country must be every bit as frustrated as QPR fans right now.

Allardyce currently out here in the Middle-East on the BEIN Sports Premier League coverage with the cringeworthy Keys (in particular) and Gray. He was complaining on Monday night how the likes of him and Pulis get 'pigeon holed' into a specific style of management and that's why they don't get the so called 'top jobs' in the Premier League.

Hmmm, Sam, let me think? Guardiola or Allardyce? Klopp or Pulis? Tough one I have to say.
    He had THE top job but fooked that up!
    Fair play, although he was specifically on about club management at the top English level.

Let's be honest, he got the England job by default as the suits wanted to appease the fans by employing 'English' again.

A moot point but I'd have given Eddie Howe a shout. In my opinion, the best young 'English' coach/manager about at the moment and streets ahead of Allardyce. Still, his time will come I think.
  • Options

I see Cousins was actually on the bench last night and only came on in the 60th minute

He played 90mins on Saturday against West Brom
  • Options
    Cousins will be back in League One one way or another
  • Options
    (unless he actually becomes a right-back, like he should have done all along)
  • Options

I see Cousins was actually on the bench last night and only came on in the 60th minute

I hardly imagine Cousins needs resting though, his energy and workrate are probably his biggest asset
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Some on here thought he was going to go on and play in the Prem. Mental
  • Options

I hardly imagine Cousins needs resting though, his energy and workrate are probably his biggest asset
    Yeah he's barely played the last two years so probably be a big ask to play two games in quick succession
    cabbles said:

Leuth said:

His injuries havent helped, nor was his move to QPR a sensible one as they're never going to realistically challenge - Cousins would probably have been better off staying with us till the January Transfer Window and then moving back into the Championship after showing everyone that he can play and so potentially get more suitors
  • Options

They lost 7-1 at West Brom though so maybe he was dropped?
  • Options

Yeah he's barely played the last two years so probably be a big ask to play two games in quick succession
    cabbles said:

Leuth said:

His injuries havent helped, nor was his move to QPR a sensible one as they're never going to realistically challenge - Cousins would probably have been better off staying with us till the January Transfer Window and then moving back into the Championship after showing everyone that he can play and so potentially get more suitors
    I think when he left us he could certainly hold his own in the championship and he has been unfortunate with injuries, but he was never Prem material. I think a lot of the Prem talk was because he was 'one of our own' and some were blinkered in that respect.

Had (like a lot of modern players) good athleticism, but touch and skill would've precluded him from going any higher imo
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Leuth said:

I think when he left us he could certainly hold his own in the championship and he has been unfortunate with injuries, but he was never Prem material. I think a lot of the Prem talk was because he was 'one of our own' and some were blinkered in that respect.

Had (like a lot of modern players) good athleticism, but touch and skill would've precluded him from going any higher imo
    Not to mention he was only 18 / 19 when he made his debut

There arent many kids who make their debut in the Championship at that age and dont end up in the Premier League

Whether they make it there though is a completely different question
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve McClaren is shite and so is his stupid hair island.
  • Options

I'll always just remember him as the "wally under a brolly"....what a shambles of an England team that was!

Me and the boy were at Wembley that night.... believe me he looked a complete tosser! Good job we had enjoyed a few glasses of a good red beforehand, helped when witnessing complete dross. Croatia completely outplayed us and it was all down to him, Never forget that famous TV interview he gave putting on a terrible Dutch accent. Complete clown.

• Options
    Valley11 said:

I never really got the wally with the brolly thing. It was raining, big deal. Tabloids whipping up hate with catchy slogan shocker.
    And he did well at Boro getting into Europe and progressing.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having had bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Young and unemployed coaches in this country must be every bit as frustrated as QPR fans right now.

No, you're right mate. As a football coach at the highest possible level, he had every right to stand there on the touchline, in the pouring rain, adorning a rather grand umbrella; after all, you see it all the time!

He looked a complete buffoon whilst his ineptitude was played out on a soggy football pitch in front of him! The 'wally with the brolly' was polite!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mclaren is a knob end a no good piece of shite who tried to enhance his career on the back of dropping becks and ultimately humiliating a nation and depriving us of the Euros the bloke should have been given a single moment more in football after that
  • Options
    What on earth were QPR thinking in giving that moron the job in the first place?

First rent-a-plank Ian Holloway, and then to follow on from one clown to another in Steve McClaren defies belief – how on earth does Les Ferdinand go about picking managers?

The thing with McClaren is that he wasn’t even that great with M’Boro, he reached the UEFA Cup Final, but the majority of seasons they were hanging around the bottom half of the table.

Since then he has done nothing in this country, and a you have to say that looking back at the England qualifying for Euro 2008, it really does take a special kind of fuckwit to be able to finish third in a group with Croatia, Russia, Andorra, Macedonia and the might of Israel!!

His failure to qualify is exacerbated when you look at the squad he had – Rooney, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Beckham and Joe Cole to name a just a few – it would seem almost impossible not to qualify from a group like that, but he managed it with ease! Even when we only needed a draw in the final game, having been reprieved by Russia losing to Israel, he still bollocksed it up.

However his finest moment was as others have said, when he returned to these shores for a ECL Qualifier vs Arsenal, and gave his pre-match interview in that incomprehensible Dutch accent the whole way through, like something out of the Fast Show and jumpers for goalposts – Twente duly got walloped 6-0 on aggregate.

It does make you think why nobody gives Curbs another go, his record stands up to anybody going round at the minute, and you would back him all day long to keep QPR up, over the likes of McClaren.
  • Options
    Got to give him credit, he's actually doing a decent job at QPR now after the early season shambles. Just 1 point off the play offs now.

Also credit to the owner for sticking with him as it would've been pretty easy to sack him after losing all their first 4 games.
  • Options
    Yes, this isn't a thread that has aged well.
  • Options
    It's all Caspar and the fat lass, Steve's too busy carpeting...