Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve McClaren

Just seen that he has got the QPR job from Ian Holloway!How on earth does this bloke keep getting jobs in football?

Outside of a semi-decent spell with Boro in the early 2000's, and then winning the Dutch league about ten years ago, he has been an abject failure everywhere else.

Surely QPR would have been better giving Curbs a call?

Comments

• I'll always just remember him as the "wally under a brolly"....what a shambles of an England team that was!
  • With his linguistic skills, I still think he could do a job for us.
  • Just seen that he has got the QPR job from Ian Holloway!How on earth does this bloke keep getting jobs in football?

Outside of a semi-decent spell with Boro in the early 2000's, and then winning the Dutch league about ten years ago, he has been an abject failure everywhere else.

Surely QPR would have been better giving Curbs a call?

Looking at his profile on Wikipedia, I think the biggest difference between him and Curbs is that he has been managing for two decades nonstop.
  • Perfect excuse for everyone to enjoy this again. Toe curling stuff.

https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90
  • Perfect excuse for everyone to enjoy this again. Toe curling stuff.

https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90

Foo Shure.
  • It is one of life's modern mysteries that any chairman/CEO of any organisation (or football club) can look at an individual like McClaren, look at his track record, listen to his monotous and tedious sound bites and hyperbole, and then come to conclusion that "he's the man for us"!! It truly is utterly perplexing!

• Yeah I hope QPR struggle next year because they really deserve it with this appointment
  • Working his magic once again i see. Played 4, lost 4, conceded 13.

Next 3 are Wigan home, Birmingham away then Bolton away. If he doesn't get a win in any of them he'll surely be gone.

Saw the other day he was moaning that he needed more time with his players, he's had an entire pre-season. And the argument doesn't hold much weight when you see Leeds with their new manager, sitting at the top of the table.

Next 3 are Wigan home, Birmingham away then Bolton away. If he doesn't get a win in any of them he'll surely be gone.

Saw the other day he was moaning that he needed more time with his players, he's had an entire pre-season. And the argument doesn't hold much weight when you see Leeds with their new manager, sitting at the top of the table.

Should of stayed in Holland.
  • I think he’s got an impossible job at QPR given the mess they’re in, but he is clueless.

I’d cry if he got made our manager
  • Sponsored links:

Not sure Matty is that type of lad.
  • To think he was England manager - where he succeeded in leading us to fail to qualify for the first time in 14 years for a major tournament and 24 years to reach the European Championships.

• That man is one of the biggest tossers around.

How he gets another job in management is beyond me.
  • edited August 2018
    I never really got the wally with the brolly thing. It was raining, big deal. Tabloids whipping up hate with catchy slogan shocker.
    And he did well at Boro getting into Europe and progressing.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having had bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Young and unemployed coaches in this country must be every bit as frustrated as QPR fans right now.
  • Valley11 said:

I never really got the wally with he brolly thing. It was raining, big deal.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Young and unemployed coaches in this country must be every bit as frustrated as QPR fans right now.

Add Mark Hughes to that list.
  • Valley11 said:

I never really got the wally with the brolly thing. It was raining, big deal. Tabloids whipping up hate with catchy slogan shocker.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having had bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Allardyce currently out here in the Middle-East on the BEIN Sports Premier League coverage with the cringeworthy Keys (in particular) and Gray. He was complaining on Monday night how the likes of him and Pulis get 'pigeon holed' into a specific style of management and that's why they don't get the so called 'top jobs' in the Premier League.

Hmmm, Sam, let me think? Guardiola or Allardyce? Klopp or Pulis? Tough one I have to say.
  • Valley11 said:

Allardyce currently out here in the Middle-East on the BEIN Sports Premier League coverage with the cringeworthy Keys (in particular) and Gray. He was complaining on Monday night how the likes of him and Pulis get 'pigeon holed' into a specific style of management and that's why they don't get the so called 'top jobs' in the Premier League.

Hmmm, Sam, let me think? Guardiola or Allardyce? Klopp or Pulis? Tough one I have to say.
    Not to mention they're also stifling potential talent coming through from the Championship like Lee Johnson or Dean Smith!!
  • bad appointment by a know nothing chairman .. depending on his compensation clause, he won't/shouldn't last too much longer
  • edited August 2018

Valley11 said:

He was complaining on Monday night how the likes of him and Pulis get 'pigeon holed' into a specific style of management and that's why they don't get the so called 'top jobs' in the Premier League.
    He did get a "top job" last season - Everton. Big club, top 6 aspirations, plenty of investment, good squad that had an iffy start to the season. Big Sam got them out of trouble and then oversaw a rapid transition into mid-table stagnation. Similar scenario at West Ham.

Stop moaning you bitter scouse brummie div. Your football's boring and you're a one trick pony.
  • Sponsored links:

• McClaren is yet another mediocre manager who feels the world owes him a living. How on earth QPR thought this was a wise appointment is beyond me?
  • bobmunro said:

Valley11 said:

I never really got the wally with he brolly thing. It was raining, big deal.

But my God he is the epitome of the old-manager-merry-go-round. He’s part of the trio who always get a job, despite having bugger all success for years (Pardew and Allardyce being the other members).

Add Mark Hughes to that list.
    How was he received during his time at Stoke Bob?
  • MrLargo said:

Valley11 said:

He was complaining on Monday night how the likes of him and Pulis get 'pigeon holed' into a specific style of management and that's why they don't get the so called 'top jobs' in the Premier League.
    He did get a "top job" last season - Everton. Big club, top 6 aspirations, plenty of investment, good squad that had an iffy start to the season. Big Sam got them out of trouble and then oversaw a rapid transition into mid-table stagnation. Similar scenario at West Ham.

Stop moaning you bitter scouse div. Your football's boring and you're a one trick pony.
    Allardyce is not a Scouse! He’s a Brummie!

Yesh, for shure.
  • MrLargo said:

Valley11 said:

Stop moaning you bitter scouse div. Your football's boring and you're a one trick pony.
    North of Watford Gap = All the same, innit.
  • MrLargo said:

Valley11 said:

Just checked. You are indeed correct - born in Dudley, a hellhole which my friend from Bromsgrove advises me is ridiculed by everyone in the surrounding area. Surprised about that, he doesn't have the standard "Doodlaay" accent.
  • edited August 2018
    Just been listening to talksport and, brace yourselves, just heard Simon 'Tangoman' Jordan actually talk some sense about how QPR have had some of the wealthiest backers (Ecclestone, Fernandes, Briatore, Mittal) behind them yet they are still 60m in the red, they also said that McClaren knew the situation there before he went and its a bit late to winge about it now.
  • Valley11 said:

He had THE top job but fooked that up!
  • I see Cousins was actually on the bench last night and only came on in the 60th minute