Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fans pepper sprayed? (Ed. Police statement page 3)

Comments

• Options

I think the whole issue here is "was the police response proportionate?"

As far as I'm aware, pepper spray has never been used in a British football ground and if it has, certainly on very rare occasions as i'm not aware of it and no one I have spoken to remembers it. So there is a precedent here that has, I believe, been broken.

Thus, considering what we saw from Charlton fans, notwithstanding that it was unsavoury, esp to some fans of us who are not used to that behaviour, it was hardly a rare occurrence in football grounds here in this day and age. You only have to look back to Wigan v Man City the other week, or Port Vale at Grimsby etc etc and (to keep SLL and BBW happy) numerous times from our neighbours down the years.

Additionally, our lot were hardly going to break through in numbers as we all know the invisible wall does it's job in these situations. Anyone seriously intent on getting on the pitch and engaging would have been able to (and then do the bird afterwards), but didn't. It was just a lot of gesturing and shoving from those joining the 'mob' who were pushing those at the front into the police - an all too familiar situation.

I would say therefore that it was not a proportionate response from the police, but they will obviously be the judge of that.

I was also delighted to see orange shirt get lamped - highlight of the day. There is goading and there is goading and running on the pitch, to the front of our stand, offering everyone out was an absolute p**s take and believe me, as i'm sure SLL or BWW would confirm, it would have been a very different reaction had they or similar clubs been there.

Totally poor policing of their fans, which escalated the situation. He should have been warned ages back as he (along with some other) were at it all game and sent packing after the pitch incident.

I'd say the policing the whole day was v.low key, esp with the element Charlton had there, almost to the point it felt like a set-up.

Great post, sums up my thoughts as someone who was there.
  • Options
    Depressing thread.
  • Options
    Ok, lets take it as a given that it is good to be hard. We should have no time for the softies who go to football to watch a game and have no wish to turn it into a war! If opposing fans go over the top in their goading of us, we are perfectly entitled to potentially injure and scare our own (including kids and the elderely) in retaliation. And when action is taken against us hard bastards, we are perfectly entitled to cry about the injustice of it all as hard nut hooligans from all clubs always do. it wasn't us, we didn't do it miss!

• Options
    TEL said:

Shrewsbury just issued a three year ban to a fan involved in the pitch invasion. Tango man or the one who clipped Lee Bowyer? My money is on the Orange tosser.

That's good to hear.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Shrewsbury just issued a three year ban to a fan involved in the pitch invasion. Tango man or the one who clipped Lee Bowyer? My money is on the Orange tosser.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2018/may/charlton-update/

Supporter receives 3 year ban following pitch incursion against Charlton

Further to initial investigations into spectator encroachment onto the pitch during the Sky Bet League One play-off 2nd leg at home to Charlton the Club has today issued a supporter with a 3 year ban from attending all Shrewsbury Town FC fixtures.

CEO Brian Caldwell has made it clear that the Club will not tolerate incidents which risk affecting the good name of our Club and supporters, and will continue to work with West Mercia Police to identify anyone involved.
  • Options
    Most likely the bloke in the orange, because his name was plastered all over the internet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was tango man who has received the ban according to their fans site

"it’s the large guy in the peach shirt he did a bit more than encroach... He went all the way over to the Charlton fans causing a near riot where police had to use pepper spray and at least 1 steward was hurt, ‘punched in the face’...Boisterous fun for some but moronic behaviour to most....

Seemed he got his come upense(sic) on the day and afterwards...."

• Options
    I wonder if he thinks it was all worth it now ?
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Delighted he misses his teams trip to Wembley.

none of the tramps can afford to go anyway
  • Options
    off subject but i saw the lincoln kit man ( 78 year old ) was injured last night after a pitch invasion at exeter for them reaching league 2 play off final ( personally hope notts county do it -decent away day hooters - chicken and tits ), i do think the on the pitch is a tad too much when won nothing yet - have criticised millwall often enough for it although most clubs have a bit more respect then to pitch invade at wembley tossers.
  • Options
    also fuck me i know there a small club but Town have been allocated 20,000 tickets for the final and these went on sale at 8am this morning with sales having recently passed the 4,000 mark.
  • Options
    That bloke, if it is him, should be getting more than a 3 year ban.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

I bet he's there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

That bloke, if it is him, should be getting more than a 3 year ban.

apart from being on the pitch, which i and a lot of others are guilty for, and giving it to the fans what else did he do?.

i do think its harsh when someone had a flare in posession but didnt let it off and was discovered once they had been removed from the ground for being pissed, received a 3 year complete football ban and england away membership taken away also means that every time england play away his passport needs to be given in.

• Options

el-pietro said:

But how could that be enforced?
    A mate gets him a ticket,
    He has a shave and wears a blue shirt.
    I doubt his picture will be at every entrance.
    Gets in, police see him on CCTV, he gets charged.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Is he banned form football for 3 years though so he is free to go to away or Wembley matches not a court order ban just a ban form the club i.e home games?
  • Options

el-pietro said:

how on earth are they going to spot him amongst the huge contingent of shrewsbury fans, on another point with shresbury and rotherham probably taking less than 40,00 between them is it time for these matches to be moved? pain in the ass for both sets of fans, playing in an half empty stadium hardly rocking is it, the only time ive been to an emptyish stadium besides charlton and league 1 grounds is ireland vs italy in six nations at the stade olimpico in rome, just very quiet as fans dotted out everywhere.
  • Options

el-pietro said:

Is he banned form football for 3 years though so he is free to go to away or Wembley matches not a court order ban just a ban form the club i.e home games?
    There may be one or two Charlton fans hoping he makes the trip to the Valley next season...
  • Options

el-pietro said:

how on earth are they going to spot him amongst the huge contingent of shrewsbury fans, on another point with shresbury and rotherham probably taking less than 40,00 between them is it time for these matches to be moved? pain in the ass for both sets of fans, playing in an half empty stadium hardly rocking is it, the only time ive been to an emptyish stadium besides charlton and league 1 grounds is ireland vs italy in six nations at the stade olimpico in rome, just very quiet as fans dotted out everywhere.
    especially with the amount of in-breeding that goes on in their fan base
  • Options

el-pietro said:

It's a club ban. So although it says 'all Shrewsbury Town fixtures' I'm not they can actually police that away from their own ground.

Similar to when Charlton dished out those infamous letters and meetings following Palace at home in our championship relegation season.
  • Options

el-pietro said:

You should go to a Queens Park game at Hampden!
  • Options

el-pietro said:

its a shame that Italy RFC went to the Olimpico. they did it because the old ground stadio Flaminio apparently wasn't big enough. 32,000. they might go back there if plans for its expansion to over 40,000 happen.