Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fans pepper sprayed? (Ed. Police statement page 3)

Comments

• Options
    Upon seeing that video you've gotta question what that Charlton fan is doing when he runs on to the pitch and smacks the Steward or Officer (cant tell) round the back of the head (5secs in)

Wouldn't be surprised if him diving back into that group of Police Officers (@ 10secs) is partly what starts their over zealousness
  • Options

Looks like a pikey

( Awaits flag from @Chizz )

Looks like my brother in law. Traitor, he's from Coldharbour! Feck you Paddy... splitter
  • Options

Upon seeing that video you've gotta question what that Charlton fan is doing when he runs on to the pitch and smacks the Steward or Officer (cant tell) round the back of the head (5secs in)

Wouldn't be surprised if him diving back into that group of Police Officers (@ 10secs) is partly what starts their over zealousness

Doesn’t smack either of them, smacks the fella in orange who started all the shit.

Up the Charlton.
    Ahh yeah missed that at first... then yeah my question is how the feck did the Shrewsbury Stewards let him through

A fan running up to opposition fans like that is ALWAYS going to cause problems
  • Options
    Ob shoulda let em fight imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was very close by, the videos show more of the afters and less of the before. A number of Shrewsbury got on the pitch and goaded our fans. About 50 of our fans tried to get them, a few got over the hoardings and the police were trying to hold them back. The Charlton fans attacked the police, the hoardings were flattened, more Charlton fans pushed from the back and they were literally a second from breaking through and a proper fan fight breaking out on the pitch, when the policeman sprayed the main protagonists and prevented a mass pitch fight. Make of that as you will, but that is what happened.

Yup, that's what happened in front of me.
    Over use of spray but undoubtedly prevented a worse situation.
  • Options

I am sure that there will be retribution this eve

Don't hold you breath mate.
  • Options
    So their arseholes act provocatively. And our arseholes respond. And the Shrewsbury police "side" with their fans.
    Surprised? Not really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Police Statement

Statement following disorder at playoff match
    Following disorder at today's playoff match between Shrewsbury Town and Charlton Athletic, West Mercia Police has issued the statement below.

Superintendent Paul Moxley said: "Following disorder involving a small number of people at today's Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic playoff match, police officers were required to assist stewards to prevent a small minority of poorly behaved people from confronting one another. Due to the deteriorating behaviour of a small group of individuals, PAVA (commonly known as pepper spray) had to be deployed to restore order.

"We will be analysing CCTV footage of the disorder in an effort to identify those responsible and will take robust action where individuals are identified. This type of behaviour from a small minority impacts on the enjoyment of the vast majority of genuine supporters and it will not be tolerated.

"As is always the case following any use of force, a review will be undertaken to ensure it was proportionate"

A 30-year-old man from London was arrested on suspicion of affray and remains in police custody
  • Options
    There was a lot of running back and forth that way with bottles of water, i guess to clean eyes of those effected. Also a couple of doctors passing by me, (i was opposite the stand with the trouble and right on the goal line) At one point a supporter came me that had been sprayed, he was in a very bad way!
  • Options
    The dragging by the neck and pepper spraying those trying to move away and get back in the stand is outrageous.

Classic case of a copper needing to use force, then enjoys doing it so becomes excessive with their use of force.

• Options
    Police went way over board
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I was very close by, the videos show more of the afters and less of the before. A number of Shrewsbury got on the pitch and goaded our fans. About 50 of our fans tried to get them, a few got over the hoardings and the police were trying to hold them back. The Charlton fans attacked the police, the hoardings were flattened, more Charlton fans pushed from the back and they were literally a second from breaking through and a proper fan fight breaking out on the pitch, when the policeman sprayed the main protagonists and prevented a mass pitch fight. Make of that as you will, but that is what happened.

Yup, that's what happened in front of me.
    Over use of spray but undoubtedly prevented a worse situation.
    A situation caused by the Shrewsbury fans running on the pitch and taunting the Charlton fans. I don’t agree with their reaction, but you have to start with the cause of the problem.

Imagine if we had scored on Thursday and fans from the East or West Stand had run on the pitch to taunt the away fans, it would have been completely unacceptable
    No argument with the cause.
    But you have to agree something had to be done.
    The spray should have been towards the home fans invading the pitch but at that stage it was only stewards losing control.
    When the OB turned up, their best option (in their minds) was to control those fans still contained.
    Shocking, and over-done as it was.