Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    First half pretty decent. Second half way off the pace. We just couldn’t make anything stick in that second half and had so little attacking threat at times it was silly. All in all, we looked like exactly what we are...a team that scraped into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth playing a team that finished 16 points above them.

Not over yet though. I can see us sneaking a 1-0 up at theirs and it ending up with pens. By that point, Nicky Bailey’s penalty from 8 years ago may finally be reentering Earth’s atmosphere.
  • Options
    Watched on Sky.

Called it a 0-1 prior to the match and by a godly goal for Shrewsbury it was indeed that.

2-0 at their place and we'll be fine.
  • Options

Total cack in the second half. Zero goal threat, constantly gave the ball away.

14k for a play off game is pathetic and shows how ridiculous the attendances announced this season have been.

We might have played better 2nd half if we had atacked the covered end. Their skipper probably turned us round knowing that we would suck the ball in second half.
  • Options
    My younger brother has been to a couple of games this season, I have been boycotting home games since 2 seasons ago (caved in for this one, boooo), and he insisted it was the best performance he has seen of the few games he has been to this season.

We are fucked in the second leg if that is a "good performance"
  • Options

14k for a play off game is pathetic and shows how ridiculous the attendances announced this season have been.

We might have played better 2nd half if we had atacked the covered end. Their skipper probably turned us round knowing that we would suck the ball in second half.
    They turned the pitch around on us earlier in the season as well.

Maybe it's a tactic of theirs. Small margins.
  • Options
    Personally dont think Kashi and JFC can play together in midfield. I'd drop Kashi for Aribo. Reeves was poor, would rather Marshall play. Would play Mavadidi through the middle. Not out of it but need to improve significantly.
  • Options

We actually turned them around in the first game.
  • Options
    Don't think we played that badly but think Shrews played the game perfectly.

Thought our midfield was a bit all over the place at times but it really comes down to us not creating enough chances.

A real shame not to win tonight as the atmosphere in the covered end was great but I said before the game that I didn't think we had to win tonight to progress and I still think the same. Just not sure if I could handle the nerves of being in the away end on Sunday.
  • Options
    Magennis should have scored his header a couple of mins in and Forster Caskey should similarity have done better. After that we faded, they were better second half and what a great goal. Not out of it yet but we need to be better second game.
  • Options

We actually turned them around in the first game.
    We flipped the pitch by choice? That's news to me. Don't think we've ever done that before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How on earth anyone thinks Zyro deserves to start over Magennis at the moment I don’t know.

Magennis wasn’t the problem tonight, at all.

Won pretty much every header and battled his heart out where Zyro would have been diving and crying.

I thought after the Plymouth and Rotherham games as well as the Peterborough cameo that we had a real player in Zyro but the histrionics in the last few games have put me right off him. I hate seeing Charlton players dive about and will be happy to see the back of him...
  • Options

One of those nights when you really don’t want your team to have one but it’s half time we are one nil down and we now know only a win will do so we have no choice other than to go for it

We lost tonight because we continued to play the same ball to the same player mavadidi (spelling ) who was pony one trick easy to mark easy to read and unfortunately Bowyer got caught bang in the headlights

He should’ve changed it on the half hr Mark get him of Fosu on

Reeves was absolutely toilet Stank the house out

Half time should’ve been off

Zyro for big josh half time

We are still in it

D, as much as I like da silva we play totally different when he plays.

I got a couple of lol when I said the change has come when we played dijksteel and page.

This is key for me.

Too much of our play is based on da silva going forward but he is a big omen when on the pitch defending as teams target him.

I'd play him LM
    We were so easy to read and that has to be pointed at the mgmt team , it’s a learning process and I hope Bow learned a lot out there tonight

Bringing on zyro for 5 mins was wrong

Whilst mavadidi was having a mate he should have been told to fuck off over the other side for ten mins and take the two fuckas who were on him over there as well and push reeves down the wing for a while and if it still didn’t work sub him

I think djiksteel at full back de Silva infront wound work also
  • Options
    We'll win by a goal and it will go to pens...
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sorry Jay, we look better playing Page.
    Marshall must start. Mavididi for Ajose.
    Aribo to start.

Shrewsbury have a physically stronger squad and just about deserved the win, although their time wasting was embarrassing. It started in the first half ffs.

I thought we'd equalised in the last minute with the point blank header that hit one of their players and bounced out. Was that Zyro's header?
  • Options
    I think todays poor performance was as much to do with the lack lustre performance last Sunday as anything else.
  • Options
    That diamond was faulty after 20 mins and Bowyer didn’t react. When you’re playing ball bag football you need to win the second ball. Shrewsbury done it all night and the goal was coming from it all night long.

Reeves was fucking terrible but DaSilva was ridiculous
  • Options
    They weathered our early storm and we really should have scored an early goal. Crowd were great. In the end their teamwork and 'power' edged our individual skills. It did take an excellent strike to beat Amos. I think Bowyer will freshen up the team for the second leg with Dijksteel, maybe Page, Marshall and Fosu in the starting eleven. I usually moan about Magennis and Ajose but both played pretty well tonight. Our odds of winning will be quite low, maybe 5/1 but this team will do their utmost to beat the odds.
  • Options
    tight, tight game and Shrewsbury let's not forget finished a huge amount of points above us. Yep we were poor second half and our dominance for no end product lost us the game. Poor decision making and annoyingly not enough desire to win second balls all night

Shrewsbury have won the first six rounds and scored a knockdown. We now need a complete turnround in attitude and desire because I think they might have our number tactically at their place.
  • Options
    Of course there's hope for Sunday, Charlton always show up when we least expect it this season in particular.

For Sunday we need to move the ball quicker, that plays to our strengths, none of this passing amongst centre back to full back and back inside our own half, it just invites pressure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice to see the covered end with a decent crowd it tonight but I can’t help thinking the club screwed up royally with the ticketing, the ground half empty for a semi-final. Or maybe this is as good as it gets in the last days of this awful owners tenure.
    The football from us was a tad predictable once they got the measure of us. We should be playing it on the floor but our passing and movement, particularly in the second half was not up to the job. We certainly can’t play it in the air against tonight’s opponents, I don’t think we won a 50, 50 all second half and our play made a lot of passes 50 50s. But we seem to persist with same ball even though it was clearly not a game plan to score a goal let alone win the match.
    Best team won tonight, we will have to fluke the return Sunday, I can’t see anything from our performance to suggest otherwise. We’ve done well to reach the playoffs but we ain’t good enough, you can’t just play 10 matches at the end of the season and expect to go up.
  • Options
    1 defeat in 9 away games now for Shrewsbury who have been resting players for weeks. Bar their number 8 they were back to full strength tonight. 16 points better than us and that second half justified that.

However it's not over yet. No reason why we can't win one nil on Sunday and then beat them on pens
  • Options
    Standard us tonight. We ain't turned up in a big game for 20 years now.

Hopefully Bowyer sorts them out and we turn it around at there place. We need wingers!
  • Options

I liked the old sprinkler tactic on the Jimmy seed end to make our attacking game more slick only for it to backfire after the coin toss.

Then they decided to get the sprinklers out at half time on the covered end for the second half :neutral:

“Attacking game more slick” I like your optimism, first time I have seen us this season (I watched on tv) and our play in the final third was woeful. It is going take more than a drop of water to turn that toothless attack into a force to be reckoned with.
  • Options
    We were good for the first 20 mins but were outplayed from that point onwards unfortunately.

Surprised we came out with the same formation that had been completely stifled for the last 25 minutes of the second half.

We've got much more to give than that, a big improvement needed, but this tie isn't over.

Impressed with Shrewsbury, but we have enough to deal with them IMO.

Gutted, but can't get too disheartened. Only half time.
  • Options
    That was a typically tense, nervous play-off semi performance, with too many players taking the safe option every time they had the ball, or tightening up a bit when hitting their passes and causing them to go astray or fall short.
    There was no lack of effort but there was a lack of urgency from the players when the ball was dead. Every time we had a throw or a free kick, it seemed to take ages for us to restart the game, giving Shrews time to organise. We also let them get away with so much time wasting, letting them kick the ball away or run off with it when we had a free kick. If the players had been a bit more forceful in trying to restart the game quickly, the ref would have had to deal with the issue.
    If Bow can get them to relax more but still play at a high tempo, if Fosu can start, and if we can get the first goal at their place, then we still have a big chance. Is that too many ifs?
  • Options
    Many teams who have lost the first leg at home have turned it around in the play-offs. Why can't we?
  • Options

Get rid of Reeves
    The difference tonight was that Nolan scored and played well and his opposite number Reeves was a waste of space

Give over mate. Reeves is not a winger, he has no pace and no strength and basic dribbling skills. He needs to be played through the middle where he has options to pass (something he can do very well) to players on either side of him.

So basically play like Robinson played him! 4-5-1 hmm