Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    reeves and mavididi are why we didnt perform; reeves got bullied too easily and mav just could not do much right. marshall and aribo would have been better to start. Half time.
  • Options
    razil said:

Pwr

A good team exposed some of the weaknesses in our team and squad depth. We miss an in form fit Solly and Page fit, plus rue the loss of Holmes, then and Bowyer as coach we be a much more complete team

Konsa limited going forward, altho did defend

Mav and JDS couldn’t get it going, the latter much better after Mav replaced, he shouldn’t start matches particulalry not on the wing, he’s an impact sub striker for me.

Reeves just didn’t rise to the occasion, does he want to be a championship player?

Fosu a cut above with a start might make all the difference in the second leg. Him and Marshall pls to supply the forwards.

One goal is all we need to get level (obviously) then it’s game on

Re Konsa, that's because he's a CH
  • Options
    Both teams played some decent football, most of ours in the first half of the first half.

Surprised at comments that we sounded quiet, was noisy in north upper most of the game and for large parts of the game saw nearly all the east and west stands joining in which I haven’t seen for a while.

They were superb defensively and we couldn’t or didn’t try and drive through them enough. I personally didn’t think Konsa or Reeves we’re playing in their best positions and I thought Kashi made a fair few errors.

Amos was great and could do nothing about the goal. Wish he would occasionally get the ball moving forward quicker. We could have done with being a bit more direct generally.

We should have scored in the first 20 minutes.
  • Options
    They will score one one the first 15mins shut up shop game over for us
  • Options
    Disappointing to say the least. I don't know the answer but we had so little attacking intent down the right their left back may as well have taken the night off.
  • Options
    Thought mavididi and da silva were our main threats first half, then as we offered nothing as a team mavididi looked ineffective. As others have said due me he is impact sun, especially with two games so close together.

Should of started Marshall and let him tire them and then bring mavididi on for Mary 20. Those who say Zyro should start baffles me as he was bloody awful at Rochdale on Saturday and I thought maginnis worked a lot harder today, as did Ajose.

By no means lost
  • Options
    In true Seth Plum style PWR
    Its only half time, Bowyer isnt a mug like Gobby, yes we need to up our game and change, they had a number of set pieces that we couldnt counter. This can be worked on in the run up to Sunday. Get one early up there and we will do this .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of those nights when you really don’t want your team to have one but it’s half time we are one nil down and we now know only a win will do so we have no choice other than to go for it

We lost tonight because we continued to play the same ball to the same player mavadidi (spelling ) who was pony one trick easy to mark easy to read and unfortunately Bowyer got caught bang in the headlights

He should’ve changed it on the half hr Mark get him of Fosu on

Reeves was absolutely toilet Stank the house out

Half time should’ve been off

Zyro for big josh half time

We are still in it

• Options
    Charlton fans having a melt down, the goal was the only difference between the side and fair play it was a magnificent one, thought we shaded it in the 1st half they won the second half.

Either way the light at the end of the tunnel is next season Roland won’t own Charlton Athletic football club

• Options
    Well I should have got a hint about how things were gonna turn out when I dislocated my shoulder 3 hours before ko! Managed to pop it back in and dosed up on painkillers (and beer) and go to the game. Had to refrain from clapping, so thankfully we didn’t score.
  • Options
    I think we did well first half but they were better in the second. Still everything to play for, we go again on Sunday. Great atmosphere generated by the Covered End and nice to see some protest shirts still being worn.
  • Options

Disappointing to say the least. I don't know the answer but we had so little attacking intent down the right their left back may as well have taken the night off.

Don't worry, HappyValley.
    We'll win the 2nd leg.

4-0 away win. :smile:
  • Options
    Apart from the first 10 minutes we weren't great. Some nice flashes but our midfield couldn't contain their counter attacks and our defense was exposed too often. Bowyer needs to rethink the line up for the replay. I'd give Aribo a shot in midfield and sit out Kashi as we need more energy in that area.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

What do you mean you do not know the answer. Comfortable 0-4 away win on Sunday, that’s the bloody answer :smiley:
  • Options

razil said:

Pwr

A good team exposed some of the weaknesses in our team and squad depth. We miss an in form fit Solly and Page fit, plus rue the loss of Holmes, then and Bowyer as coach we be a much more complete team

Konsa limited going forward, altho did defend

Mav and JDS couldn’t get it going, the latter much better after Mav replaced, he shouldn’t start matches particulalry not on the wing, he’s an impact sub striker for me.

Reeves just didn’t rise to the occasion, does he want to be a championship player?

Fosu a cut above with a start might make all the difference in the second leg. Him and Marshall pls to supply the forwards.

One goal is all we need to get level (obviously) then it’s game on

Re Konsa, that's because he's a CH

True hence my comments about the squad depth and a fit Solly
  • Options

One of those nights when you really don’t want your team to have one but it’s half time we are one nil down and we now know only a win will do so we have no choice other than to go for it

We lost tonight because we continued to play the same ball to the same player mavadidi (spelling ) who was pony one trick easy to mark easy to read and unfortunately Bowyer got caught bang in the headlights

He should’ve changed it on the half hr Mark get him of Fosu on

Reeves was absolutely toilet Stank the house out

Half time should’ve been off

Zyro for big josh half time

We are still in it

D, as much as I like da silva we play totally different when he plays.

I got a couple of lol when I said the change has come when we played dijksteel and page.

This is key for me.

Too much of our play is based on da silva going forward but he is a big omen when on the pitch defending as teams target him.

I'd play him LM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont understand how Reeves and Ajose started against a team which has so many 6ft plus players. I think Zyro to start with Magennis up front and take out Reeves and replace with Aribo. I would make Marshall the stand by to replace Mavididi or start him and have Fosu to start aswell as long as he is fit. Kashi needs to get himself sorted out for Sunday and hopefully our players wont be falling over so much at the weekend. I wish that Magennis would anticipate running into the box a bit more ; he works hard to win the aerial balls but seems lazy at times to run in and poach a goal.
    Shrewsbury are physically strong and organised we need to step up to that or expect more of the same. Will need to keep a clean sheet on Sunday.
  • Options
    A lot like this forum, we had absolutely nothing on the right.

Reeves wasn't good enough, but at least he didn't hide like Konsa did... Konsa seemed to be actively putting himself out of the game at times.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ozaddick said:

Shit sorry, didn’t mean to post that pic 5 times!

You could always delete four of them by using the handy edit facility.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

A lot like this forum, we had absolutely nothing on the right.

Reeves wasn't good enough, but at least he didn't hide like Konsa did... Konsa seemed to be actively putting himself out of the game at times.

Because everything has to go through Da Silva when he plays. Too one dimensional and easily dealt with.
  • Options
    No width in the final third. No options for passes. Not once did we spread play from wing to wing switching it like we used to do under Powell. We had no midfield. We won’t win the play offs but if we do by some miracle we need some serious work done in the summer or we’ll be coming straight back down. Shrewsbury deserved it. Just.
  • Options
    I liked the old sprinkler tactic on the Jimmy seed end to make our attacking game more slick only for it to backfire after the coin toss.

Then they decided to get the sprinklers out at half time on the covered end for the second half :neutral:
  • Options
    No excuses, we started the game really well but didn't get the early goal we needed and the longer the game went on the more Shrewsbury took control. They are after all the 3rd best team in this league and showed it again tonight. We're certainly not out of it but Shrewsbury have to be favourites now.
    Fosu will surely start the 2nd Leg and although I thought Ajose tried his best he got little change out of their defenders and i would have thought Zyro must be an option. Also I'd consider starting Aribo and Reeves (who I'll admit i'm no great fan of) wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice team. Still in it but we need to play better than tonight.
  • Options
    A disappointing result, but a deserved win for Shrewsbury who to me were set up perfectly to soak up our ponderous play and catch us on the break. The actual goal was a "worldie" but overall they had more good attacking situations

We were worryingly weak in the middle, but then that's been an issue all season, we've lacked a real defensive midfielder to shield the defence.

Mavididi was poor, I wasn't impressed with his workrate, he hardly ever busted a gut at either end of the pitch, and was often second to the ball. Kaikai gets slaughtered here, but I think he would have put in more of a shift tonight in that position.

Reeves was ineffective as he likes time on the ball which he wasn't given. Dasilva had a torrid time defensively as well, he's a great footballer but Shrewsbury showed his limitations when put under pressure. Kashi had a poor game too, weak and gave away needless fouls.

BUT it's only 1-0, and all to play for. I think Bowyer has to think hard about his team selection for Sunday as I'm not sure he got it right tonight.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Positives: we can’t play worse than that

Shrewsbury, although solid, are nothing spectacular

Not happy

But, in these cup type games they are good and experienced. they've already been to Wembley this season (lost to Lincoln) and played very well over two legs against Hammers, so not a poor side by any stretch. their manager has done what Powell did with our bunch a few years back. Brought in a lot of quality for cheap and knitted together to create a great heart and togetherness. Bowyer is doing that too, it's just he's much further back in the rebuilding process.

we aren't out of this but any team that loses a first leg play-off is automatically on a downer. Shrewsbury are right to not count their chickens just yet. respect to them for the muted celebrations at full-time. shows a quality club. Let it be us displaying a muted celebration on Sunday.
    No respect to their number 4 Godfrey for goading the crowd three times after their goal. What a dick.