Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018

Ross said:

From what I heard RD doesn’t want to pay realistic wages for another keeper, which might be a complication. I suppose a loan might be subsidised by the lending club.

This will be the third season we haven't had a permanent first choice keeper. Rudd and Amos were brilliant for us, but I would always prefer to have a permanent number one.
    Except if it’s Phillips.
    True. Although is that out of necessity (in relation to your post) rather than because we want him to be number one?
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I doubt that Martin will make the bench at Millwall if the other two are fit. At Charlton, at least he’d have a chance of successfully challenging Phillips, although I think the latter should still start.

Martin was with us last pre-season with Robinson but ended up at Millwall, doubtless because of the wages on offer and the higher level of football. Personally, I hope we look elsewhere - there must be plenty of decent goalkeepers looking for gainful employment.

It appears that Millwall have triggered an option on Martin's contract and offered him an additional year.
    At that time it would have given them the reassurance of 2 experienced keepers in their 1st team squad - plus if Martin were to leave, he'd be under contract and could command a fee.

Probably at that time, it was before Lee Turner joined as Keeper Coach and as we know, attracted Ben Amos to join Millwall.
    Now Millwall have 3 experienced keepers and blocking the way for a Development keeper to progress.

It would make sense to them to allow a keeper out on loan or even to leave.
    Dave Martin could quite possibly believe that he's little chance of playing for their 1st team now and at 32, needs to play games and has a better chance elsewhere. Hence training at Charlton?

IMO I think that regardless of any keeper we may bring in, Dillon Phillips needs to start the season as No1 - he's earned his chance and it should be his shirt to keep or lose. It'll keep him on his toes if an experienced keeper comes in pushing for Phillip's shirt.

• Options
    GK is not the priority. I can think of LB RB RW CM and so the list goes on..... We will struggle to keep the players we have fit until Christmas because of the demands. The only good thing is the talented younger lads coming through will get opportunities. But for a club like ours we need experienced players especially at this level.
  • Options

GK is not the priority.

It will be if Phillips get injured or suspended.

• Options

GK is not the priority. I can think of LB RB RW CM and so the list goes on..... We will struggle to keep the players we have fit until Christmas because of the demands. The only good thing is the talented younger lads coming through will get opportunities. But for a club like ours we need experienced players especially at this level.

Agree we certainly need another defender and midfielder aswell but another GK is an absolute must. With Ince, Ward and Dawkins having been on trial then I guess it's comfort knowing Bowyer is looking whereas with the keeper we are not sure which adds to the concern.
  • Options

Agree we certainly need another defender and midfielder aswell but another GK is an absolute must. With Ince, Ward and Dawkins having been on trial then I guess it's comfort knowing Bowyer is looking whereas with the keeper we are not sure which adds to the concern.
    Bowyer is definitely looking but it is a tough one. It means if we sign a keeper would comes in as number 1, it means we have to sign another keeper as well as Phillips will go out and play elsewhere. We don’t have the budget for two more keepers.

Yet, it is possibly even harder to find a more experienced keeper to come in and know he is going to be number 2 to allow Phillips to play.

It’s like a catch 22, it’s tough.
  • Options

I can think of LB RB RW CM and so the list goes on..... We will struggle to keep the players we have fit until Christmas because of the demands. The only good thing is the talented younger lads coming through will get opportunities. But for a club like ours we need experienced players especially at this level.

I wouldn't argue with that.

But while there are holes in the squad (and of all people, Bowyer & Jacko will know that), it's still only July, decent players are still available - and the loan market hasn't even properly got going, as clubs haven't yet made all their players they are prepared to loan available.

I would expect further additions to the squad are already in hand - perhaps, Dawkins and Ince if they can prove themselves, plus there is almost certainly a couple of long loans coming in.

It would be great if all the squad building was already completed - but most other clubs are still not finished adding to their squads.
    And as we are in the Third Division with small playing budget, we have to be 'patient' until loan players cascade down from higher Division clubs.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Misleading. Bowyer said 6 senior players were not included for the Crawley match ..... but they play against Brighton tomorrow.

I wonder who the six senior players are? Sarr, Ajose and Magennis didn’t feature agianst Crawley, maybe Pratley will get a run out, assume he’s also including Ince and Martin (or another GK) would make six.

From the OS:

"The Addicks named a youthful substitute bench for the game. Bowyer explained why.

He said: “On Tuesday, we’ve got a new starting XI. There were some experienced ones that we didn’t bring along today. There is no point in them coming along just to sit on the bench.

“The whole point of this stage of pre-season is to get as many of the players through 90 minutes as possible.

Josh, Nicky, Naby, Simon Dawkins will all start on Tuesday. Pratley will get 45 minutes and the lads Ince will too.”

There's your 6, se9. :smile:

Should have just read the OS rather than cross referencing the full current squad with the Crawley squad!
  • Options

GK is definitely a priority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Bowyer is definitely looking but it is a tough one. It means if we sign a keeper would comes in as number 1, it means we have to sign another keeper as well as Phillips will go out and play elsewhere. We don’t have the budget for two more keepers.

Yet, it is possibly even harder to find a more experienced keeper to come in and know he is going to be number 2 to allow Phillips to play.

Or Bowyer can sign a keeper to compete with Phillips and tell them to fight for the Number 1 jersey.
  • Options
    The fact that we’re just 2 weeks away and we still have Dillon and AMB in the friendlies I think says it all. If there are financial constraints then can understand the focus on filling the midfield and finding backup for the defence.

If we don’t have a new backup keeper for tomorrow nights game I think it’s clear what’s ahead.
  • Options
    Good if Dijksteel is returning to training, going to be a long time before he's match fit though
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Surprised people think that we will get a replacement in if magennis goes. We let people go at the end of the window every year and don't get adequate cover in - one thing you can be sure of whilst RD remains in charge

That's what I thought, Taylor is the replacement for Magennis
  • Options
    Ben Williams. Cheap and experienced back up for Phillips.
  • Options

Or Paul Jones. Last club Norwich.

Just throwing semi realistic names out there ie people that will probably be happy to play back up in League One. I don't think that Martin from Millwall is.
  • Options

Or Paul Jones. Last club Norwich.

Just throwing semi realistic names out there ie people that will probably be happy to play back up in League One. I don't think that Martin from Millwall is.
    Paul Rachuoka? Played in India last season.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Can we not drag Stuart Taylor out of retirement? - That bloke loves sitting on a bench!!

Edit: Just seen he's not retired, he'd be the perfect no.2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

Scoham said:
    That’ll be Pearce injured in the next game.

Our squad is so light on numbers but also quality. And particularly attacking quality.
    Quite worried about this season. Some saying we’ll only be mid table. I think we’ll struggle to stay up.
    But we’re already better off up front with Lyle Taylor in the team.
    But weaker in goal, at left back, only have one fit right back. We don’t know how Pratley will compare to Kashi.

The signs of a bad season are there, much like they were 10 years ago in 08/09 when we got relegated from the Champ.

Look at the injury problems we’ve had over the last four years. This squad has even less depth than any of those did.

I’ll feel better if we get a couple of signings in soon, or the takeover goes through.
    Weaker in goal. Weaker in attacking midfield. Weaker at center back and weaker at right back (both because of losing Konsa).

I agree we're stronger up front with Magennis and hopefully Igor playing some part, plus having KAG back hopefully he continues his form from Crawley, but we're lower on quality and quantity literally everywhere else.
    Sage said:

I'm of the opinion, not having seen a ton of him, that Phillips isn't quite good enough to be the keeper for a promotion chasing team in this division. Now, will we be chasing promotion is a big question. But if that is the hope, I'm not sure he's up to that standard.

You're bang on when you say it's really tough. He's certainly promising and has a lot to offer. But he needs to play. And if we bring in an experienced keeper like Martin, or really any decent experienced keeper, he'd have a real fight on his hands. But we just can't go into the season with AMB as our #2.

He needed to go out on loan last season, that's really the issue here. We couldn't get in another keeper and it ended up screwing Dillon. And now we're in a situation where we either go into the season with a largely untested (handful of cup and league games, and that loan spell at Cheltenham-I think it was-a couple years ago) as our #1, or we bring in someone else and risk losing Dillon in the summer. Dillon has said, and I think it's fair, that he only wants to be the #1 here. It may not be realistic, but I think for him personally and his career he has to play this season. So it's tough, as you say.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I always thought Rohan Ince was class, very suprised he hasn't got a gig in championship

Yeah I always felt that way as well, but it seems a combination of injuries and just wrong place wrong time held him back. He's the type of trialist I'd like to see with us, young and hopefully hungry with something to prove.

I thought Ward looked tidy if unspectacular yesterday. Better than I expected with the ball at his feet, but he and Pearce together represent a real lack of pace. We do need another right footed center back but I feel, no make that hope, that we can do a little better.

On Magennis, completely agree with @ForeverAddickted, no need to sell him to a division rival. He can play with any of our other forwards and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Igor together as Igor looks best with a big man next to him.

I still have us short:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Cannot see us bringibg all those in. If Ince works out he could be that central midfielder. I didnt see anything from Dawkins yesterday. Sarr and Dijksteel and/or Marshall as cover at fullback, even though both have done jobs there, doesn't fill me with confidence.
    We don't need both another RB and CM IMO as Dijksteel is one of those players. Definitely need a CB and winger though which Bowyer realises, otherwise we wouldn't have had Ward and Dawkins on trial.
    Edit: added GK, desperately need that

Fair point re: central midfield, forgive me if I'm fforgetting someone, but we currently have JFC, Pratley, Aribo, Dijksteel, Maloney, Lapslie. I don't know that the latter two are ready for much more than regular cup duty, maybe the occasional league game. So ideally one more in midfield, which would give us five for two positions, knowing that Pratley and probably Dijksteel won't be ready for the first game.
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

Scoham said:

Our squad is so light on numbers but also quality. And particularly attacking quality.
    Quite worried about this season. Some saying we’ll only be mid table. I think we’ll struggle to stay up.
    But weaker in goal, at left back, only have one fit right back. We don’t know how Pratley will compare to Kashi.

The signs of a bad season are there, much like they were 10 years ago in 08/09 when we got relegated from the Champ.

Look at the injury problems we’ve had over the last four years. This squad has even less depth than any of those did.

I’ll feel better if we get a couple of signings in soon, or the takeover goes through.
    Weaker in goal. Weaker in attacking midfield. Weaker at center back and weaker at right back (both because of losing Konsa).

I agree we're stronger up front with Magennis and hopefully Igor playing some part, plus having KAG back hopefully he continues his form from Crawley, but we're lower on quality and quantity literally everywhere else.
    I'd prefer a winger over a CM. Still see CM behind a keeper, winger and 1/2 defenders.
  • Options

Can we not drag Stuart Taylor out of retirement? - That bloke loves sitting on a bench!!

No he wouldn't. He deliberately goes where he won't get a game it seems! Being the direct back up to a young inexperienced player might mean he has to have minutes on the pitch...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I always thought Rohan Ince was class, very suprised he hasn't got a gig in championship

Yeah I always felt that way as well, but it seems a combination of injuries and just wrong place wrong time held him back. He's the type of trialist I'd like to see with us, young and hopefully hungry with something to prove.

I thought Ward looked tidy if unspectacular yesterday. Better than I expected with the ball at his feet, but he and Pearce together represent a real lack of pace. We do need another right footed center back but I feel, no make that hope, that we can do a little better.

On Magennis, completely agree with @ForeverAddickted, no need to sell him to a division rival. He can play with any of our other forwards and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Igor together as Igor looks best with a big man next to him.

I still have us short:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Cannot see us bringibg all those in. If Ince works out he could be that central midfielder. I didnt see anything from Dawkins yesterday. Sarr and Dijksteel and/or Marshall as cover at fullback, even though both have done jobs there, doesn't fill me with confidence.
    We don't need both another RB and CM IMO as Dijksteel is one of those players. Definitely need a CB and winger though which Bowyer realises, otherwise we wouldn't have had Ward and Dawkins on trial.

Fair point re: central midfield, forgive me if I'm fforgetting someone, but we currently have JFC, Pratley, Aribo, Dijksteel, Maloney, Lapslie. I don't know that the latter two are ready for much more than regular cup duty, maybe the occasional league game. So ideally one more in midfield, which would give us five for two positions, knowing that Pratley and probably Dijksteel won't be ready for the first game.
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

Scoham said:

I'd prefer a winger over a CM. Still see CM behind a keeper, winger and 1/2 defenders.
    Agreed, I started writing the top half of that post a couple days ago and never finished which is why I've taken it out. I think Rohan Ince could be an excellent addition to midfield. But I agree if push came to shove I'd rather a creative player.
  • Options
    Can't Josh just be our back up keeper as well
  • Options

No he wouldn't. He deliberately goes where he won't get a game it seems! Being the direct back up to a young inexperienced player might mean he has to have minutes on the pitch...

H

He turned us down three years ago because we wouldn't pay him a high wage. Being Southampton's number three pays more
  • Options

I know you're talking but he can't hear you over the sound of his Premier League, FA Cup, and Community Shield medals clanging together.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I still have us short:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

Scoham said:

Agreed, I started writing the top half of that post a couple days ago and never finished ......
    Are you Grapevine in disguise? :smile:

• Options
    When checking to see if Taylor had retired I did see a comment from him saying that he didnt want to go down to League One or League Two because he wanted to prove that he is good enough to be a Premier League Goalkeeper

The fact he's only played 34-games at that level over a 21-year period surely means he isnt good enough
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I still have us short:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

Scoham said:

Agreed, I started writing the top half of that post a couple days ago and never finished ......
    Are you Grapevine in disguise? :smile:

Grapevine is everything I aspire to be as I get older, but there is no way my posts will be that coherent. (I don't know how old Grapevine is, I just know that with age I hope my giving a fuck goes way down).