Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Comments

• Options
    addix said:
    The hens with wounds are responding well to treatment and, although not out of the woods yet, we are hopeful. The one in the photo above has put on weight and her feathers are growing back.
    Great to hear of the improvement in their condition, and to see the new feathers coming through.  It's amazing how quickly they can begin to look 'normal' again with a bit of TLC.

Sadly one of our girls passed away last week.  The black one we had from a previous rescue about 5-6 years ago died after no obvious illness.  Still waiting on the rescue places to open up to get some more.  Hopefully it won't be long now.
    Sorry to hear about your lovely hen. I'm glad she had a long retirement with you.

Hens are in demand so get there quickly! At Fresh Start For Hens we have a huge backlog. There is a waiting list of 5000 rehomers with 25,000 hens pre-booked. Rescues are now happening pretty much weekly to get through the backlog.

• Options
    addix said:
    The hens with wounds are responding well to treatment and, although not out of the woods yet, we are hopeful. The one in the photo above has put on weight and her feathers are growing back.
    Great to hear of the improvement in their condition, and to see the new feathers coming through.  It's amazing how quickly they can begin to look 'normal' again with a bit of TLC.

Sadly one of our girls passed away last week.  The black one we had from a previous rescue about 5-6 years ago died after no obvious illness.  Still waiting on the rescue places to open up to get some more.  Hopefully it won't be long now.
    Sorry to hear about your lovely hen. I'm glad she had a long retirement with you.

Hens are in demand so get there quickly! At Fresh Start For Hens we have a huge backlog. There is a waiting list of 5000 rehomers with 25,000 hens pre-booked. Rescues are now happening pretty much weekly to get through the backlog.

Thanks.  We are registered on FSFH and BHWT so should get a message when some become available locally.  I did enquire with someone that had some for sale on a website but he wouldn't let us see them or collect them, and was insistent on delivering them.  Had a feeling they would've disappeared had we let him know where we keep them as I've heard of a few people whose chickens have been hennapped recently.

• Options
    addix said:
    addix said:

Thanks.  We are registered on FSFH and BHWT so should get a message when some become available locally.  I did enquire with someone that had some for sale on a website but he wouldn't let us see them or collect them, and was insistent on delivering them.  Had a feeling they would've disappeared had we let him know where we keep them as I've heard of a few people whose chickens have been hennapped recently.

Hmmm..... don’t like the sound of him. 
  • Options
    Would you believe it, this poor little hen laid an egg this morning. On the one hand it shows she’s getting stronger, but thanks to the egg industry she’s bred to lay eggs within an inch of her life. That’s the really sad part.
  • Options
    Nice story on this subject here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53832858

• Options
    Nice story on this subject here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53832858

Thank you for posting! I hadn’t seen it yet! The woman in it - Jaki - is my lovely boss. Scary lady but with a heart of gold. Apparently other media folk have been in touch. Brilliant coverage for us.
  • Options
    addix said:
    Was great to meet @Arsenetatters again this morning to collect a dozen hens.  They've found the food but not had a go on the swing yet!

Glad they’re settling in 😀. 
    Thank you so much for giving these lovely ladies a forever home -and for catching them! We’ve never rescued such shy birds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any hens left?
  • Options
    She will be having her afternoon kip.
    Try later :smile:
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Any hens left?
    There are but they’re poorly ones. If you would like some hens just go to freshstartforhens.co.uk and click on ‘reserve hens’. There’s lots of rescues going on at the moment. If you select ‘Swanley collection point’ I can ask the admin to get you on my list (you have to send photos of the area they will be housed in etc before you can be approved).
  • Options
    Last weekend’s rescue were hens from ‘enriched cages’. A rather scared lot of girls who’d never seen light of day. Some are faring better than others and many have gone to new homes. 
    This little lady needs to gain some more strength so is having to be fed by hand with baby parrot food. 
  • Options
    Oh my!
    the poor darling 😔
    Thank you 🙏🏻❤️
    I am now covered in the spatter of baby parrot food 😳
  • Options
    What on earth is an "enriched cage", as opposed to an unenriched one?

I'm trying to push from my mind stupid visions of the sort of things people give budgies, like mirrors and plastic toys, but not sure what to imagine instead!

Whatever it is, it does not seem to have given that poor hen a decent quality of life.
  • Options
    Oh my!
    the poor darling 😔
    Thank you 🙏🏻❤️
    I am now covered in the spatter of baby parrot food 😳
    And you wouldn’t have it any other way ❤️
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    What on earth is an "enriched cage", as opposed to an unenriched one?

I'm trying to push from my mind stupid visions of the sort of things people give budgies, like mirrors and plastic toys, but not sure what to imagine instead!

Whatever it is, it does not seem to have given that poor hen a decent quality of life.
    The old ‘battery’ cages had nothing in them whereas the ‘enriched’ ones have things to help the bird express natural behaviours. They have a curtained off nest area, a bit to scratch on - a little bit of Astro turf- and perches. The regulations for the size of cage allowed say you can have up to 80 hens. 
    As with all flocks there will be a pecking order and this is bound to mean that some hens won’t get to scratch on the square of fake grass. I’m sure my little hen was way down the order 😐
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done, @Arsenetatters
    Must give you a great sense of satisfaction getting her to such a relaxed state after the stressful life she has lived.

Looking at the advert you posted above, it appears you have a busy couple of months ahead.  I hope you managed to sort out your few hours of weekly help.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Must give you a great sense of satisfaction getting her to such a relaxed state after the stressful life she has lived.

Looking at the advert you posted above, it appears you have a busy couple of months ahead.  I hope you managed to sort out your few hours of weekly help.
    Sadly no! I wish I was 20 years younger. Had huge load of wood chip delivered today and have been taking it up the hill in a wheelbarrow. Will need a longer than usual nap later 😀
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Sadly no! I wish I was 20 years younger. Had huge load of wood chip delivered today and have been taking it up the hill in a wheelbarrow. Will need a longer than usual nap later 😀

You are doing a wonderful job, looking after your lovely hens.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Great work Arsene.

Due to a bit of insomnia the other morning I ended up watching a programme called Vet on the Hill in the early hours.  The vet had to cut open a hen’s blocked crop. I tried to look away but couldn’t help myself. The vet just kept pulling this mass out of it.  Absolutely gross... it certainly didn’t help me getting back to sleep.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Great work Arsene.

Due to a bit of insomnia the other morning I ended up watching a programme called Vet on the Hill in the early hours.  The vet had to cut open a hen’s blocked crop. I tried to look away but couldn’t help myself. The vet just kept pulling this mass out of it.  Absolutely gross... it certainly didn’t help me getting back to sleep.

One of our hens had that operation. God knows what she had eaten but it was completely blocked. When I saw the vet afterwards she was describing how awful the mass stank and made them all gag. I didn’t really want to know that!! 
    Not surprised it didn’t help you sleep. I don’t think I could watch that!
  • Options
    Sometimes free range chickens eat long grass and that can impact the crop and then other food gets caught up and it becomes an issue.  We thought one of our hens had that not long after getting her, but following a visit to a vet that knew a bit more than average about chickens (and a £40 bill) she was apparently just greedy.

• Options
    We've just taken on 4 ex battery hens from a local charity, two weeks in they are thriving & we are getting 4 eggs a day, our older hens not laying but we'll keep them till they snuff it, fresh propa free range eggs.... you can't beat them.