Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Comments

• Options
    This is one of yesterday’s rescue hens. She’s a free range girl. Something I had no idea about is that some farmers reduce the amount of feed by half on the lead up to slaughter time. This can mean that the hens peck each other’s feathers leaving them bald. 

I’ve got 4 poorlies at home and they’ve eaten continually since arriving. They are so thin. Mr Tatters is delighted they’re staying in the spare bedroom. 
    sorry if this has already been mentioned but what happens to them when slaughtered? are they just discarded?
    Sadly the following:
    cheap pies
    pet food
    cheap baby food
    feet and heads to Asia
    anything left as fertiliser 
    thanks, it was the farmers reducing the feed by half bit that made me question it.
    Having heard that they reduce the feed from another farmer I’m fairly certain it’s not meant to be allowed. It would be used as a cost saving. The farmer gets paid per carcass (I think about a pound) so weight is not a major factor 
    unfortunately the way some farmers are happy to treat animals/the conditions they keep them in that doesn't surprise me 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    We’d love to get involved in this, we have a 30’ kennels virtually sitting doing nothing for housing them. But fear the already stressed birds seeing our dogs around the garden would be to much for their little hearts. Thoughts @Arsenetatters
    Chatting to others with dogs it seems it depends on the dog’s temperament (for all types of dog). Some need supervision and others treat them as their own flock and protect them. Introducing them slowly seems to be the way to go. From what you have said about your dogs I’m sure they’d be fine. 
    Thanks.......
    We have a new addition joining us this weekend so my time is taken up with him, but its certainly something well consider once he's settled. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    This is one of yesterday’s rescue hens. She’s a free range girl. Something I had no idea about is that some farmers reduce the amount of feed by half on the lead up to slaughter time. This can mean that the hens peck each other’s feathers leaving them bald. 

I’ve got 4 poorlies at home and they’ve eaten continually since arriving. They are so thin. Mr Tatters is delighted they’re staying in the spare bedroom. 
    sorry if this has already been mentioned but what happens to them when slaughtered? are they just discarded?
    Sadly the following:
    cheap pies
    pet food
    cheap baby food
    feet and heads to Asia
    anything left as fertiliser 
    thanks, it was the farmers reducing the feed by half bit that made me question it.
    Having heard that they reduce the feed from another farmer I’m fairly certain it’s not meant to be allowed. It would be used as a cost saving. The farmer gets paid per carcass (I think about a pound) so weight is not a major factor 
    unfortunately the way some farmers are happy to treat animals/the conditions they keep them in that doesn't surprise me 
    I’d agree with that it’s not just commercial egg farmers. My mum lives in a village and their house backs into a field which is let to a farmer who ‘keeps’ sheep in the field. 

When we were up over Christmas walking the dogs they kept finding sheep bones, apparently one of the sheep died a couple of months ago and the farmer couldn’t even be bothered to move the carcass. My mum was saying quite frequently people from the village have to fill up the water troughs otherwise the sheep would die more often through dehydration. 

Disgusting and shouldn’t be allowed to raise animals. 
    I’m not wanting to high Jack a great thread so the last thing I’ll say on it is everyone should take a better interest in where their food is coming from, be that meat, dairy or plant based and hopefully things will improve 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    We’d love to get involved in this, we have a 30’ kennels virtually sitting doing nothing for housing them. But fear the already stressed birds seeing our dogs around the garden would be to much for their little hearts. Thoughts @Arsenetatters

• Options
    T_C_E said:

I wager everyone of my dogs alone would sit/lay nicely just watching like that. A pack of five however would be very different, we do have lots of neighbours that have chickens so we’ll having a chat with them and testing the dogs under safe conditions before taking any birds on. The last thing we want is it going wrong, if there’s any similarities between horses and sheep who the dogs get on fine with, the chickens will be fine. 
  • Options
    We have an old GSD (just turned 13 last month) and she doesn't pay them any attention when they are out at the same time.  Every dog (and chicken) is different, though.
  • Options
    My work colleague who lives in Suffolk is looking to have four chickens in his garden: think I’ve persuaded him to go for rescue chucks. @Arsenetatters is there somewhere he can contact to find somewhere close to him who does this?
  • Options
    My work colleague who lives in Suffolk is looking to have four chickens in his garden: think I’ve persuaded him to go for rescue chucks. @Arsenetatters is there somewhere he can contact to find somewhere close to him who does this?

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

Have a look at the collection point list. Not all open each time but you can see from the dates which ones are available :)

• Options
    So much for paying extra for the quality of Hoads farm free range eggs.

The activists spent nine hours inside the chicken enclave demanding their release DxE Brighton

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/moment-free-range-chickens-saved-161247925.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The activists spent nine hours inside the chicken enclave demanding their release DxE Brighton

Awful to read :(
    Sadly I doubt very much that it’s rare. When we rescue and rehome hens some of them have prolapses and other breeding related problems. What can you do? People want to eat eggs - and that’s fine. I guess, being pragmatic, looking after the hens and giving them a good quality of life while they lay their eggs is the best we can hope. The conditions in this farm were way way below the minimum these birds deserve. 
  • Options
    While in hospital the patients have use of their own fire
  • Options
    Lovely to have this update on your "girls" @Arsenetatters.  How's the one I nicknamed Baldybum in January getting on with growing some tail feathers?

After all the palaver of buying eggs during lockdown, I'm sure once circumstances permit another rescue, you won't be short of willing rehomers for the hens.  Problem may be travelling distances to pick them up.  Could be a while before those restrictions are lifted.
  • Options
    Some recover quicker than others. Francine was very poorly when she first arrived from a rescue. Her breathing was laboured and she had a rattling chest. The hospital was full so she had to sleep in our bedroom. In the night I woke and couldn’t hear her breathing so assumed she had died. The next morning we found her up and about...,

You are doing a great job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    N01R4M said:
    Lovely to have this update on your "girls" @Arsenetatters.  How's the one I nicknamed Baldybum in January getting on with growing some tail feathers?

After all the palaver of buying eggs during lockdown, I'm sure once circumstances permit another rescue, you won't be short of willing rehomers for the hens.  Problem may be travelling distances to pick them up.  Could be a while before those restrictions are lifted.
    I’ve just found the ‘before’ photo of the chook you named ‘Baldybum’. The photo was taken at the farm so I don’t know who took her home. I’m sure she’ll be feathered up by now, although I have some who never seem to fully recover their tail feathers.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

I’ve just found the ‘before’ photo of the chook you named ‘Baldybum’. The photo was taken at the farm so I don’t know who took her home. I’m sure she’ll be feathered up by now, although I have some who never seem to fully recover their tail feathers.
    :/
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Oops. I clearly can't tell the difference between things that please me and chickens. 

Perhaps there isn't one.
  • Options
    We are now able to restart hen rescues. If anyone is interest in rehoming some hens you can book up on www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

• Options
    Did a rescue at the weekend. I’ve taken two injured ones into the hospital - both have deep wounds in exactly the same place (as did a few more at the farm). It looks like some of the machinery in the barn caused this. They all need antibiotics and possibly an operation to debride the wounds if they don’t heal. 
    Oh and they are ‘free range’
  • Options
    Ouch.  That wound looks nasty though she has a few more feathers than some of the ones coming through the system.

We're looking to get another 6 or so to go with ours so will have to keep a look out for when they're in the area again.

• Options

This weekend's rescue/rehoming - 2000 organic, free-range hens. Their living conditions are so much better than that of caged hens and this shows in their healthy, feathered bodies.
    I’m sure there’s a good answer to this but they look like they’ve been looked after, why did they need rescuing
    Unfortunately the RSPCA Assured guys have to give notice on I think it's two of their visits per year and can have as many un-announced visits. Which allows the unscrupulous farms to get away shifting birds around to make things seem better. 

Until laws change, charities are in a very difficult position, but it is very good to see that when this happened the accreditation was immediately suspended. 
  • Options
    The hens with wounds are responding well to treatment and, although not out of the woods yet, we are hopeful. The one in the photo above has put on weight and her feathers are growing back.
    Great to hear of the improvement in their condition, and to see the new feathers coming through.  It's amazing how quickly they can begin to look 'normal' again with a bit of TLC.

Sadly one of our girls passed away last week.  The black one we had from a previous rescue about 5-6 years ago died after no obvious illness.  Still waiting on the rescue places to open up to get some more.  Hopefully it won't be long now.