Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is your experience of the RSPCA?

13»

Comments

• Options

I rung them (admittedly about 15 years ago) after finding a dog locked in a car, without ventilation, on the open roof of a multi-story car park, on a baking hot summers day. They were not interested and it amazed me quite frankly.

I think local authority dog wardens are a better bet for this kind of thing.
  • Options
    I await @Dazzler21 's findings with interest. I can't imagine anyone that works on the operational side for the RSPCA does so solely for the money, so the case prioritisation must be as hard for the people doing it as it is for us to understand. I assume these guys will primarily be animal lovers but they just can't get to everyone.
  • Options

My

This is unfortunately the gamble you take when re-homing a rescue dog. Whilst there are some well balanced dogs that are put out to rescue, the vast majority are there due to having issues. Whether these issues are from being abused or are just bad habits that have become ingrained, often it is incredibly difficult to re-train the dog and takes a hell of a lot of time and effort (and money in some cases).

I own a rescue dog, a Boxer, and she has severe behavioural challenges. Whilst we have many of them under control and she is almost unrecognisable to how she was when we first got her, she is still reactive around other dogs, which is probably something that will be an ongoing problem for a number of years.

We visited various places to find a dog, including the RSPCA, and in all honesty, after a visit to one of their rescue centres we were put off straight away. To us they appeared that they just wanted to get rid of the dogs at all costs and as quickly and hassle free as possible. When asking about any further support after we've taken a dog, the person looked at me as if I'd just slapped her. We couldn't wait to get out of there.
    Out of all their rescue dogs over the years Bow was the only one they couldn't help.

My Clyde was the most challenging, lovable, extremely intelligent rogue. He was 4 when we rescued him. It took many years for him to get over his issues but we wouldn't have changed a thing. Could fill a book with the mischief he got up to & my Dad's attempts at outwitting him.
    If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, rescue dogs are great to have. It's great knowing you've given a needy animal a home and it feels amazing when you start to see the dogs behaviour turning, but as you say, it can take many years for this to happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I rung them (admittedly about 15 years ago) after finding a dog locked in a car, without ventilation, on the open roof of a multi-story car park, on a baking hot summers day. They were not interested and it amazed me quite frankly.

I rang them in relation to the dog story I recounted earlier and they were no help at all! They gave the normal council line about cuts and they don't have the resources!
  • Options

I rang them in relation to the dog story I recounted earlier and they were no help at all! They gave the normal council line about cuts and they don't have the resources!
    The truth then Mutts?

We've lost an animal welfare post in the last few years and turned the other into an all singing, all dancing role expected to perform other duties like attending noisy parties, fly tipping incidents and other noise complaints. Doesn't leave her much time for genuine animal welfare issues beyond rounding up strays, scrapping up foxes and inspecting the dogs at the traveller sites that start cropping up at this time of year.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Not saying it wasn't true, just saying what they told me. It seems if your dog was to get out and be on the streets, there is absolutely nobody in authority who is going to help you. A frightening thought.

As for the RSPCA - type RSPCA are in google and see what suggestions come up. You will have to go down a few pages to find anybody praising them. That is very sad as we need an animal welfare charity that does what we think the RSPCA should do!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

My cousin's a vet, any pigeon that gets brought in is put instantly to sleep. Sounds harsh but those stats that Dazzler put up are alarming. A call every 27 seconds! The RSPCA aren't the emergency services and don't apparently have great resources, so it sounds like they spend all day telling people that they won't help with wild animals that appear to be unwell.

Trouble is, that's what people expect them to do.

Judging from some of the comments on here, maybe they need to clarify what they do and don't do.

McBobbin said:

My cousin's a vet, any pigeon that gets brought in is put instantly to sleep. Sounds harsh but those stats that Dazzler put up are alarming. A call every 27 seconds! The RSPCA aren't the emergency services and don't apparently have great resources, so it sounds like they spend all day telling people that they won't help with wild animals that appear to be unwell.

Trouble is, that's what people expect them to do.

I think the problem may be that they are happy to give people that impression when they want donations.
    Couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Called them recently regarding a stray dog in the road, 'Not their job' was the response.

Ended up calling out the local dog warden - which I didn't even know existed.

As someone who works in the Veterinary industry, this is true. In execution however they should have probably explained better but the reason for that response is that is actually a legal requirement to notify the local dog warden when a dog is missing.

In practice however lots of vets and rescue centres would scan for the chip and if the person on the microchip is contactable they wont bother with the warden because of the fees it incurs for pet owners. I imagine RSPCA have to do things by the book.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RSPCA I shit em! Drove my nan to drink and grandad to join the Japanese air force as a kamikaze. He was shit though, he died in 1982.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    kimbo said:

I work as Global FD for World Animal Protection, i earn a fair amount and have responsibilities for 14 country finance teams. It annoys me that we have to justify our salaries, i could earn lots lots more in business but i choose to work within the charity sector, we have increased scruitiny, complex funding and responsiblilites and still have to justify having support services to run the organisation effectively. Look at the great work we do.
    https://www.worldanimalprotection.org.uk/

Got cat from Cats Protection League and running the 10mile Great South Run for them in October.

You shouldn't have to justify your salary but how is an executive in say the RSPCA judged - by the public perception of the charity or by how much money it brings in?
  • Options

kimbo said:

I work as Global FD for World Animal Protection, i earn a fair amount and have responsibilities for 14 country finance teams. It annoys me that we have to justify our salaries, i could earn lots lots more in business but i choose to work within the charity sector, we have increased scruitiny, complex funding and responsiblilites and still have to justify having support services to run the organisation effectively. Look at the great work we do.

Got cat from Cats Protection League and running the 10mile Great South Run for them in October.

You shouldn't have to justify your salary but how is an executive in say the RSPCA judged - by the public perception of the charity or by how much money it brings in?
    I'm guessing an organisation like the RSPCA has a board of governors/trustees that would set down the criteria upon which any executives are judges, and it'd be more complicated than simply A or B.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I would imagine so - but it ought to be worrying for them when so many seem disillusioned with them. And I am not talking about this site but some trawling through the internet shows a large amount of dis-satisfaction.

I had until my bad experience of them a few months ago, a positive view based on programmes I have seen on TV. I have spoken to a number of people since who haven't got a good word to say for them and this post seems to re-enforce that!

If you had no dealings with them - would you assume, like I did, that a helpless little puppy, frightened and in mortal danger, who is staying within a small area with sightings over three days would have some attempt made by them to be rescued or at least those trying to help the poor little creature be given some help trying to do so. I would have driven for hours to even pick up a trap FFS!
  • Options

kimbo said:

This.

• Options
    There was a story a couple of years ago where an old lady had left her house to them to be used as a sanctuary.

RSPCA then sold the house to a developer and pocketed the money.
  • Options

kimbo said:

By the impact they make, not about the money you can do lots with little or nothing with lots
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    iaitch said:

There was a story a couple of years ago where an old lady had left her house to them to be used as a sanctuary.

I can imagine just how easy it is to turn 27 Acacia Gardens, Surbiton into a sanctuary. No planning issues, the neighbours would love barking dogs, vans pulling up all hours of day and night, it's bound to be exactly where a sanctuary is needed... I expect the inspection team and the head honcho had a champagne fuelled night out at Spearmint Rhino on the proceeds... :lol:

The story was that the bloke wanted his land to be a sanctuary, but forgot to stipulate the terms. It was in Alderly Edge, so I would imagine the value was greater in cash terms than as a plot?
  • Options

iaitch said:

I can imagine just how easy it is to turn 27 Acacia Gardens, Surbiton into a sanctuary. No planning issues, the neighbours would love barking dogs, vans pulling up all hours of day and night, it's bound to be exactly where a sanctuary is needed... I expect the inspection team and the head honcho had a champagne fuelled night out at Spearmint Rhino on the proceeds... :lol:

The story was that the bloke wanted his land to be a sanctuary, but forgot to stipulate the terms. It was in Alderly Edge, so I would imagine the value was greater in cash terms than as a plot?
    One hopes that if using the actual property as a sanctuary proved impractical for the reasons you describe then the proceeds of sale were specifically designated towards a sanctuary in a suitable location close to the old lady's home rather than going in the 'general pot.'
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

iaitch said:

One hopes that if using the actual property as a sanctuary proved impractical for the reasons you describe then the proceeds of sale were specifically designated towards a sanctuary in a suitable location close to the old lady's home rather than going in the 'general pot.'
    I dunno, it was only a suggestion Len, it was an old bloke by the way.
  • Options
    Wait for the Sex scandals they will be next

Vet pete Shagged my one legged poodle

Vet plarius shagged my 2 year old pony

The sex tapes Will make shocking viewing