Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

with rochdale's fortunes changing good chance they may need that last game to stay up so does become quite a tough game, for playoffs i think its paramount we win the next 2 which after the last 3 performances we should.

Was looking at the table after their victory last night & was thinking that they would be safe, seeing as they have a much better goal difference to the teams above them & have games in hand - just 1 draw would put them 19th...........but then I looked at their next 3 fixtures - Pompey, Wigan & Peterborough !! They also have Plymouth to play too. Only "easy" games are against Oxford & Bradford with a six pointer against Oldham. Only time will tell how things look for us & them by May 5th.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:

This present management and team
    Can beat anyone in this league.
    We can go up with Wigan and Blackburn.
    we lost ground due to KLs lack of tactical skills.

Awesome poem.
  • Options

with rochdale's fortunes changing good chance they may need that last game to stay up so does become quite a tough game, for playoffs i think its paramount we win the next 2 which after the last 3 performances we should.

Rochdale in good run of form. I thought that would see them clear & safe by the time Charlton play them. I then took a look at their fixtures. They have to play Portsmouth & Wigan at home, followed by Peterborough away then Oldham, Bradford & Plymouth at home, Oxford away & Charlton at home. If their home form hold up , they may be ok & take points off Charlton’s play off rivals.
  • Options

I thought we had challenging fixtures till the end of the season, but Peterborough have an even harder run in than us. I would expect Peterborough not to make the top 6. I'm unsure of Rotherham, as they are in bad form at the wrong time. Apart from the current top 3, I expect us and Plymouth to make the top 6, and I'll throw an outsider in the mix as well, which is Bradford. They've got two games in hand compared to most teams up there, and could go on a run, plus Grayson has a good record at this level.

I know nothing about football. You don't get beat 5-0 by Blackpool and go up.
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to think we need to pretty much win every game now until the end of the season.

We are currently 6th, with a game in hand, and still have to play Portsmouth,Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe,

I'm sorry, but at some point teams around us will lose, no team is going to manage 6 wins in a row

My prediction:

AFC Wimbledon : L
    Scunthorpe : W
    Shrewsbury : W
    Blackburn : D
    Portsmouth : D
    Rochdale : W

And I think that will be enough to clinch 6th, I think even another loss and we could still manage it.

I can't see any team around us winning more then 4 games between now and the end of the season

A good point away from home today on a terrible pitch

3rd-6th %80 6-10th %20
  • Options
    4 wins needed to make sure I think. AFC, Scunthorpe are the easiest. Win 50% of the rest and we are there. Beating Shrews and Pompey would be good for play off confidence.
  • Options

A lot of people seem to think we need to pretty much win every game now until the end of the season.

We are currently 6th, with a game in hand, and still have to play Portsmouth,Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe,

I'm sorry, but at some point teams around us will lose, no team is going to manage 6 wins in a row

My prediction:

AFC Wimbledon : L
    Scunthorpe : W
    Shrewsbury : W
    Blackburn : D
    Portsmouth : D
    Rochdale : W

And I think that will be enough to clinch 6th, I think even another loss and we could still manage it.

I can't see any team around us winning more then 4 games between now and the end of the season

A good point away from home today on a terrible pitch

3rd-6th %80 6-10th %20

Why do you think we'll lose at Wimbledon but draw at Portsmouth?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I still have no idea how it will pan out. We SHOULD beat AFC & Rochdale & have a decent chance beating Scunny - but as Greavsie once said..."its a funny old game". How many people had Utd beating City at half time ? We will probably lose on tues & beat Pompey & Blackburn. I still think we need another 10 points - 3 wins & a draw. As I said, I've no idea in which order they will come but we are in a darn better place than we were a month ago.
  • Options
    How good is it actually being in a race for promotion? Every game til the end of the season are cup finals.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Fair play to Rotherham winning yesterday against an in form Fleetwood. That win probably secured their play offs place. They’ve got Wigan next week and if they wouldn’t have won I would have believed that we could overtake them.

I still think we need a minimum of ten more points and a bit of luck. I actually back Wimbledon to beat most teams when they are playing at home.

If we can get a win on Tuesday night, that will probably result in Scunthorpe needed to win on Saturday and not accepting a point against us.

Lots of twist and turns will happen over the next 4 weeks. Two wins against Wimbledon and Scunny will put us in a very healthy position going into our toughest matches of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need to win at Wimbledon to give us the edge over the chasing pack really. Lose that and i think it'll be tough given our run in.
  • Options
    I think it's between us, Plymouth and Portsmouth for the last two places now.
  • Options
    We're not good enough I'm afraid.
  • Options
    One game at a time. Huge game Tuesday
  • Options
    Lose on tuesday and the belief will drain away. We need nothing less than three points.
  • Options

We're good enough to make the top 6 and anything is possible in the play offs (cup football).

Lincoln just beat Shrewsbury in the Checkatrade Final.
  • Options

We've beaten 4th & 5th place in the last couple of weeks, we are clearly good enough
  • Options
    The playoff stumble is more accurate
  • Options

Glad you never played in the same team as me.
  • Options
    Reality is hard to deal with but good to dream I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We're good enough to make the top 6 and anything is possible in the play offs (cup football).

Lincoln just beat Shrewsbury in the Checkatrade Final.
    Their first defeat at Wembley this season. Their second will be when they lose to Charlton Portsmouth in the playoff final
  • Options
    just though id look at away allocations for playoff rivals incase we get there i have no idea what demand would be;

shrewsbury ( cant find info but 15% is 1481)
    rotherham 2500
    plymouth 2022
    pompey 2300
    peterboro 1800
  • Options
    The ideal scenario is us finishing 4th & Pompey finishing 5th
  • Options
    Might as well delete this thread if we're going to play like this for the rest of the season. So frustrating
  • Options
    oh well, fuck that then.
    Absolutely fucking dreadful.
  • Options
    Still 6th on goal difference. But no more games in hand.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Said it before we're not good enough. Bottlers.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Opponents in the top nine of the league highlighted in bold:

Plymouth: Portsmouth (H), Northampton (A), Rochdale (A), Rotherham (H), Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A) (3/6)

Charlton: Scunthorpe (H), Shrewsbury (A), Portsmouth (A), Blackburn (H), Rochdale (A) (4/5)

Portsmouth: Plymouth (A), Bradford (A), Charlton (H), Bury (A), Peterborough (H) (3/5)

Peterborough: Rochdale (H), Blackburn (A), Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (3/5)

Scunthorpe: Charlton (A), Walsall (H), MK Dons (A), Plymouth (H), Bradford (H) (2/5)