Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I thought we had challenging fixtures till the end of the season, but Peterborough have an even harder run in than us. I would expect Peterborough not to make the top 6. I'm unsure of Rotherham, as they are in bad form at the wrong time. Apart from the current top 3, I expect us and Plymouth to make the top 6, and I'll throw an outsider in the mix as well, which is Bradford. They've got two games in hand compared to most teams up there, and could go on a run, plus Grayson has a good record at this level.
  • Options
    Would take Rotherham all day long, dirty, cheating. Whippet chasing shites
  • Options

Fitness management will become a big thing for the next few games. Our next five are Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday Saturday and the last 3 of those five are Scunthorpe at home, the Shrewsbury away (which I think is our game in hand) and then Pompey away. 2 six pointers towards the end of a run of fixture congestion. If everyone is fit, we've got the squad to manage it, but we've seen how hard it has been to keep everyone fit.

If we win those 3 games, I reckon that'll be enough on it's own to get into the playoffs, but we should be aiming at 4th place.

I think Scunthorpe will be cast aside first, horrible run of form at the wrong time for them
  • Options

3rd Shrewsbury
    4th Charlton
    5th Rotherham
    6th Portsmouth

Is how it'll finish, reckon there will be one or two points between 4th and 8th come the end

We would probably have to get results away to Shrewsbury and Pompey for that sinario. Tough ask
    Not really... If Rotherham drop points in their next two games we only have to win our next two to potentially go above them.

Prior to Friday they were 10-pts clear of us... Now they're only five - thats how tight its becoming
  • Options
    I can't see Bradford getting back in the mix. There are four form teams (us, Plymouth, Posh and Pompey) and Rotherham have a cushion. Three places for one of these five!
  • Options

I thought we had challenging fixtures till the end of the season, but Peterborough have an even harder run in than us. I would expect Peterborough not to make the top 6. I'm unsure of Rotherham, as they are in bad form at the wrong time. Apart from the current top 3, I expect us and Plymouth to make the top 6, and I'll throw an outsider in the mix as well, which is Bradford. They've got two games in hand compared to most teams up there, and could go on a run, plus Grayson has a good record at this level.

Argyle have got to play Scunthorpe, Peterboro, Portsmouth and Rotherham

Bradford might have a couple of games in hand, but they are 8 points behind - and only won once since New Year's Day.
    Hardly a form team. Mind you, they still have to play Pompey and Scunny (and Shrewsbury). Can't see them having a hope of making the playoffs.
  • Options

I can't see Bradford getting back in the mix. There are four form teams (us, Plymouth, Posh and Pompey) and Rotherham have a cushion. Three places for one of these five!

I've got a Bradford supporting mate. He doesn't seem optimistic about their chances. Then again I wasn't all that optimistic about us 2 weeks.ago :-)
  • Options
    Where in the driving seat now catch us if you can.
  • Options
    SkyBet odds

Rotherham 1/25
    Portsmouth EVS
    Charlton 6/5
    Scunthorpe 6/5
    Peterborough 13/8
    Plymouth 15/8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SkyBet odds

Rotherham 1/25
    Portsmouth EVS
    Charlton 6/5
    Scunthorpe 6/5
    Peterborough 13/8
    Plymouth 15/8

Why are Portsmouth slightly more favourites than us?

Think if we win our next two games, going into the Scunthorpe one, we should really fancy ourselves to get top 6.

With so many of the teams playing one another, it is going to go right down to the wire I think.
  • Options
    Sage said:

SkyBet odds

Rotherham 1/25
    Portsmouth EVS
    Charlton 6/5
    Scunthorpe 6/5
    Peterborough 13/8
    Plymouth 15/8

Think if we win our next two games, going into the Scunthorpe one, we should really fancy ourselves to get top 6.

With so many of the teams playing one another, it is going to go right down to the wire I think.
    Can only assume it's because they have an easier run of games than us, plus they play us at home.

We have to play 4 of the top 8 sides and 5 of our last 7 games are away.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I know it's a bit tragic getting excited about the battle for the Div 3 playoffs, but I do love spending time studying the table, the fixtures, people's predictions etc.
    Having seen us in action for the first time in a long time yesterday I think we'll definitely lose a couple on the run in. Getting something at Portsmouth will be tricky and with a big home crowd in and a full away end I think that will be an epic. Shrews away will be similarly tough and let's not forget that Rochdale are fighting for their lives and just beat Shrews. Then off course we've got the champions elect.
    I agree that they will all fear us too, but right now I would take 6th.
  • Options

Sage said:

SkyBet odds

Rotherham 1/25
    Portsmouth EVS
    Charlton 6/5
    Scunthorpe 6/5
    Peterborough 13/8
    Plymouth 15/8

Can only assume it's because they have an easier run of games than us, plus they play us at home.

We have to play 4 of the top 8 sides and 5 of our last 7 games are away.
    My romantic heart feels we will finish 5th.
    My head states we will finish 7th.

It's in our own hands but the imbalance with away games could be the deciding factor.

OK, I will compromise on 6th.

COYR.
  • Options
    I think it helps that this is a bonus for us, We had all given up after Blackpool.
  • Options

Funny how when teams like Rotherham - who are used to giving out stick - moan and whinge when they get some back...Jason Pearce, sir, you were magnificent yesterday. We 'aint no soft touches any more!
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Funny how when teams like Rotherham - who are used to giving out stick - moan and whinge when they get some back...Jason Pearce, sir, you were magnificent yesterday. We 'aint no soft touches any more!
    after yesterdays showing i genuinely don't see how they are 4th!!!!!!, like a broken record but what a real shame we didn't have lee in earlier, genuinely think we would of been hoping for autos with playoffs to fall back on
  • Options

I think it helps that this is a bonus for us, We had all given up after Blackpool.

Just imagine had Robinson walked away before Fleetwood... then we'd now be above Rotherham!!
  • Options
    We simply have to take 4 points minimum from the 2 upcoming away games. Can't afford any losses now as 4th place should be the aim so we get the 2nd leg of the play offs at home.
  • Options

We simply have to take 4 points minimum from the 2 upcoming away games. Can't afford any losses now as 4th place should be the aim so we get the 2nd leg of the play offs at home.

Sorry think we need all six from Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon

those four points can come against Scunthorpe and Portsmouth with the point coming at the latter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we ought to be looking to take 6 points from them. These are not great sides! Bowyer is clearly approaching these games as such. Will set us up nicely for the Scunny game.
  • Options
    Only if we appoint Lee Clark as manager.
  • Options
    Wonder what the Play-Off Final ticket prices will be liked compared to what we paid in 1998...
  • Options

We will not lose again ever in our history FACT

Are we going out of business in a month's time NLA !
  • Options
    7/10 for our season so far is ridiculously generous, this was written pre-easter weekend too so we were sitting 10th. i'd go 5.5/10 and now 6/10 post weekend
  • Options
    with rochdale's fortunes changing good chance they may need that last game to stay up so does become quite a tough game, for playoffs i think its paramount we win the next 2 which after the last 3 performances we should.
  • Options
    Getting excited about this run in now. Actually just booked flights for Rochdale. Was looking at Portsmouth but flights were too expensive. Hopefully my Dad and I can get away tickets but if not I think we'll quietly sit in the home end. Of course now that we've booked them it means the losing streak is about to start again. Will be my first Charlton game since 2013 actually.
  • Options
    I think Rotherham will tank. Their goal was offside and they barely troubled Amos.
  • Options
    This present management and team
    Can beat anyone in this league.
    We can go up with Wigan and Blackburn.
    we lost ground due to KLs lack of tactical skills.