Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

23 Russian diplomats expelled and other actions.

Comments

• Options

As a government publically against immigration, how do we have so many Russians in this country with no entry criteria in their favour apart from laundered cash?

Because they’re business owners who set up over here with minions who are legally in the uk.
    Once they have an office they can get through the visa issues.
    When they’re here it’s easy!
    It’s employment law.

That’s how the Indian consultancy companies do it! Set up and then it’s easy to get work permits as the business sponsors the employees

• Options

Well I haven't criticised Trump for talking to North Korea.

Because he hasn’t. And as we learn, just about every day, saying he’s going to do something is very different from actually doing it.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Why did May not wait the ten days as laid out out in the NATO ruling?
    The whole thing doesn't make sense, he was incarcerated in Russia they had plenty of opportunity to bump him off, subsequently he was pardoned.
    Ok he was used in a swap, and his intelligence picked clean, but why use Russian made nerve agent? Because it points at the Russians thats why.
    Bullets can come from any country, so if the Russians wanted to do him, then just shoot him, again why would they?
    But if our government got hold of this nerve agent formula, by manufacturing it, using info gleaned from our spies, and lest be honest they must know the formula so they can identify it, then we could make it look like the Russians and May can be made to look like a tough PM, which her ridiculous demands have, to the less free thinking out there...its her Thatcher Falklands moment and cleans up a lot of her previous crap and will boost her ratings to the less intelligent.
    Now the above is a theory, but why not wait the ten days, its all a bit convenient for me.
    Anyone remember WMD?

I think you are looking too deeply into this. The Russians like to make a statement and leave no doubt who has done the deed.
    Hence a nerve agent that they alone developed.
    Really? Im just trying to apply some logic. I also think that there is much more to this whole fiasco, none of it makes any sense.

Try this:-

https://evolvepolitics.com/watch-an-ex-mi5-agent-just-showed-precisely-why-the-tories-are-so-desperate-to-ban-russia-today-video/
    Sorry mate the minute it refers Russia today it loses its credibility

I think looking into the Russian fella and his current activities will say more about who wanted him bumped off

It’s no surprise that soon after he is attacked and another Russian found dead that the government announce 23 people who they believe are spies are being asked to leave the uk

It’s a dirty murky world and I too believe that we are just as guilty at playing the death game on those who put our intelligence out to trade with our enemy’s

Putin is a complete soulless cnut nothing means more to him than showing no one is safe no one is untouchable and that he can do what he wants when he wants

• Options
    How reassuring to know that the governments of the worlds leading nations are peopled by men of maturity and statesmanship.
  • Options
    Corbyn has just demonstrated his gross ignorance of the current state of Russia by saying the nerve gas attack may have been the work of the Russian mafia rather than the Russian government. He just doesn't understand that the Russian mafia and the Putin regime are totally entwined with each other - he may have Bill Browder's book on the murder of Sergei Magnitsky on his bookshelf but he clearly has not read it or understood it.
  • Options
    I think having links and having control are two different things.
  • Options

In most cases you may be right, when it comes to Russia you are totally wrong.

Step back, do some research and you will see how wrong your cult leader is on this occasion.
  • Options
    He isn't my cult leader, that is patronising and unfair. I happen to support what he says and what he is trying to do for the country. You can think otherwise that is your right.
  • Options

Putin has more control than most - he is the Capo di Capo when it comes to the Russian Mafia - remember he has been in power for over 17 years and he is the one who talks about the power vertical.

• Options
    As always Corbyn prattles on about human rights abuses but will he ever lift a finger to deal with the perpetrators???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sm said:

Corbyn has just demonstrated his gross ignorance of the current state of Russia by saying the nerve gas attack may have been the work of the Russian mafia rather than the Russian government. He just doesn't understand that the Russian mafia and the Putin regime are totally entwined with each other - he may have Bill Browder's book on the murder of Sergei Magnitsky on his bookshelf but he clearly has not read it or understood it.

May’s ultimatum to Putin was basically a) did you do it; or b) have you lost control of the chemical. Corbyn could well be right in that the hit was the work of the Russian Mafia but the original two questions still stand, did Russia (ie Putin) do it (order the hit) or has Russia lost control of the chemical.

Changing the subject slightly, what an amazing coincidence this is all happening at a time when Putin is trying to get re-elected.
  • Options
    sm said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/15/uks-claims-questioned-doubts-emerge-about-source-of-salisburys-novichok?

Worth considering – although I wouldn’t be as sceptical as the former diplomat Craig Murray quoted in the article.

However, I think the only really plausible reason why Putin would do this and do it now (Skripal had been living in plain sight in the UK for some time) is precisely to stir up the international anti-Russian storm that we’re now seeing, ahead of the Russian presidential election on Sunday.

Putin was always going to win (not too hard when you imprison, harrass and intimidate your opponents) but was apparently in danger of heading for a potentially embarassing low turn out which he would hope will now be avoided by creating a nationalistic seige mentality against the international condemnations.

For example there is some evidence that before his first election after Yeltsin’s death Putin was behind some ‘false flag’ terrorist attacks in Russia that were blamed on the Chechens and provided the pretext for the ‘2nd Chechen war’; which allowed him (a relatively unknown at the time) to appear as a national defender and saviour.
  • Options

sm said:

May’s ultimatum to Putin was basically a) did you do it; or b) have you lost control of the chemical. Corbyn could well be right in that the hit was the work of the Russian Mafia but the original two questions still stand, did Russia (ie Putin) do it (order the hit) or has Russia lost control of the chemical.

Changing the subject slightly, what an amazing coincidence this is all happening at a time when Putin is trying to get re-elected.
    Many people have noted that the apartment block bombings that propelled him to the presidency in 1999 were also fortuituously timed.
  • Options

sm said:

'trying' ???

I think it may be a foregone conclusion.
  • Options

He isn't my cult leader, that is patronising and unfair. I happen to support what he says and what he is trying to do for the country. You can think otherwise that is your right.

Putin's control of the Russian mafia is fairly well documented though, indeed, we are all entitled to an opinion, even if it flies in the face of all the facts.

As for Corbyn not being a cult leader, I'm certainy not alone with that opinion either:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/30/labour-conference-more-like-the-cult-of-saint-jeremy
  • Options
    Do people actually think Putin needed this to get elected! The fact of the matter is, condemn it for what it is, find out or at least try to find out as much as you can because whilst all roads will almost certainly lead to Russia there are varying degrees the state may be culpable. In the meantime never stop looking at the consequences of any actions, especially when they could lead to another cold war. It has happened, surely the next path is the one that seeks to stop it happening again. That is where most people seem to be getting lost!
  • Options

sm said:

Putin isn't trying to get re-elected - that is a foregone conclusion when you rig who can stand against you and the TV/press as he has done. What he is trying to do is get the turnout up - and I'm afraid playing the nationalist card by attacking traitors and whipping up hatred against foreigners is one way of doing that in the current Russian environment.
  • Options
    sm said:

As always Corbyn prattles on about human rights abuses but will he ever lift a finger to deal with the perpetrators???

Not really a laughing matter Leuth.
  • Options
    You may have noticed that Corbyn isn't in power. What would him lifting a finger constitute?
  • Options

Do people actually think Putin needed this to get elected! The fact of the matter is, condemn it for what it is, find out or at least try to find out as much as you can because whilst all roads will almost certainly lead to Russia there are varying degrees the state may be culpable. In the meantime never stop looking at the consequences of any actions, especially when they could lead to another cold war. It has happened, surely the next path is the one that seeks to stop it happening again. That is where most people seem to be getting lost!

You need to bear in mind that it has happened again - Politkovskaya, Litvinenko, Magnitsky, Crimea, Easterrn Ukraine etc. etc. - but the last times we did next to nothing, and Corbyn even prattled on about Putin having been provoked or deafened us with his silence. My party leader is an absolute disgrace when it comes to Russia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Corbyn has done is raise awareness of the many human rights abuses occurring within this very country. On something as thorny and murky as this I think he's best-off condemning but also suggesting a methodical way forward. What else could he do? He's already said he'll crack down on money laundering. A military response? Is that what you want?
  • Options
    Why is everyone so shocked that the leader of the opposition isn't falling straight into line with the government. If most are honest, it's because of who is saying it rather than what he is saying.

It is absolutely not out of the bounds of possibility that this not the Russian state (fwiw I think it was), but at the moment all publicly available evidence shows is that it was a nerve agent that was developed some time ago, and could have easily found its way to non government hands during the 90s and following.

Teresa May is an extremely cautious operator - and has been criticised as too cautious at times. Are people saying it is beyond the realms of possibility that this show of 'strength' isn't through political expediency as opposed to genuine cast iron belief it was a Putin sanctioned hit? If you can be 100% then fair play to you.

Corbyn and McDonnell actually agree with a fair few on here regards the economic sanctions by the way - maybe have a look at that too.

At last we can now add strategic foreign policy to the long list of expertise to be found on Charlton Life. It's a wonder some don't run for office.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

What Corbyn has done is raise awareness of the many human rights abuses occurring within this very country. On something as thorny and murky as this I think he's best-off condemning but also suggesting a methodical way forward. What else could he do? He's already said he'll crack down on money laundering. A military response? Is that what you want?

I am afraid Corbyn is rather late to the party when it comes to human rights abuses in Russia. NO I don't want a military response - but Putin, his regime and his mafia chums need to be treated like the pariahs they are - complete confiscation of all their foreign assets aka as proceeds of crime (including Chelsea FC) would be a start.
  • Options
    sm said:

Leuth said:

I am afraid Corbyn is rather late to the party when it comes to human rights abuses in Russia. NO I don't want a military response - but Putin, his regime and his mafia chums need to be treated like the pariahs they are - complete confiscation of all their foreign assets aka as proceeds of crime (including Chelsea FC) would be a start.
    Surely the point is Corbyn can't do any of this, and having already said they'd be tougher on finance - he's already ticked that box?

Like i say, it seems to be who is saying it, rather than what they are saying.
  • Options
    sm said:

You need to bear in mind that it has happened again - Politkovskaya, Litvinenko, Magnitsky, Crimea, Easterrn Ukraine etc. etc. - but the last times we did next to nothing, and Corbyn even prattled on about Putin having been provoked or deafened us with his silence. My party leader is an absolute disgrace when it comes to Russia.
    Although this is what Corbyn was doing during Putin's '2nd Chechen war' - in contrast to what Blair did and said at the time?:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYUwJH1WAAAnWfn.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYUwJ6LX4AAZAog.jpg

• Options

sm said:

Leuth said:

Surely the point is Corbyn can't do any of this, and having already said they'd be tougher on finance - he's already ticked that box?

Funny his response to May sounded just like Lavrov's and Milnes's press briefing was even worse. I suspect what he want financially is tougher controls on those oligarchs who oppose Putin and not his friends. If he is concerned about human rights abuses and international law - why isn't he naming those for whom there is a prima facie case to answer and suggesting that they be pursued in the International courts set up for that purpose?
  • Options
    war.jpg 216.9K
  • Options
    sm said:

sm said:

Leuth said:

Funny his response to May sounded just like Lavrov's and Milnes's press briefing was even worse. I suspect what he want financially is tougher controls on those oligarchs who oppose Putin and not his friends. If he is concerned about human rights abuses and international law - why isn't he naming those for whom there is a prima facie case to answer and suggesting that they be pursued in the International courts set up for that purpose?
    You may also wish to consider this article on Corbyn's approach to Putin as I said the silence is deafening
    http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/10/09/digging-into-corbyn-s-silence-on-putin
  • Options

“Now vlad, I know this has happened 14 times in the last few years, but do you absolutely pinky promise you won’t do it again?”

Corbyn and his worshippers seem to be clinging to the fact the intelligence services were wrong about the existence of wmd’s in the Middle East 16 years ago. Not only has the world of espionage changed exponentially in that time (as it always does) these weapons of mass destruction absolutely do exist and the origin is a chemical factory in Russia.

I find it deeply unsettling some one who could be prime minister is so openly questioning and doubting our intelligence services. It’s like trump calling the fbi “the deep state”.