Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New manager - who would you want (hypothetically)

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure Paul Clement will end up getting a championship gig somwhere, but would do good things with us i reckon, his connections would be excellent at league 1 level
  • Options
    For ex players only JFH apart from Euell or Jackson would make sense.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones with Euell as assistant and Bowyer moved to a coach role with JJ taking the u23s role as way of development for his own coaching/managerial career.

Would be a good set up imo, full to the rafters who understand the club.

I do like KR however though i know he has been a bit tactically naive at times this season!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I think if the Australians take control and decide to dispense with Robinson’s services then I think we can expect a bit of a left field appointment. I don’t think their plans include throwing money at us so it’s going to be a considered appointment that fits their plan to progress us. What or who that means I have no idea.
  • Options

I think if the Australians take control and decide to dispense with Robinson’s services then I think we can expect a bit of a left field appointment. I don’t think their plans include throwing money at us so it’s going to be a considered appointment that fits their plan to progress us. What or who that means I have no idea.

Have we many ex-Australian players to choose from - to fit Golfie's criteria? Petterson, Ilic (kind of) & we nearly signed Aloisi did't we?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here.

Nothing is stopping you following your hero to his next club and supporting them - although after the abysmal job he’s done here it mught be a long wait.
    He's not my hero, and if we don't even make the playoffs he has to go, whatever the restrictions Duchatelet has placed on him.
    But I don't like endlessly sacking managers under what is a rotten regime, and I don't like the hysteria that can we whipped up here @Oakster . I'm entitled to express my probably misguided opinion without the likes of you jumping on the bandwagon, ta very much.
    I think the only hysterical thing here is your reaction.

If you can't see that many of us are sick of the regime, sick of regime apologists (see day one in this job) like Robinson & just wanting a clean break from the whole rotten lot - then you have only been supporting us for a very a short time (which if I recall is true).

I know you are well intentioned, but you don't get the bigger picture - Robinson is mediocre & mediocrity is the hallmark of Duchatalatet & his cronies since day one - some accept it & even seem to enjoy it - thankfully many oppose & refuse to accept that we can sink to this level without some sort of fight back.

(There after being in Netaddicks & Charlton Life since day one - i am finally getting close to making an appearance on the argument thread)
    I wasn't referring to your opinions which, as expressed above, aren't far off my own. It's the unnecessary badmouthing you come out with when someone expresses an opinion that isn't the same as yours. That's the hysteria I'm referring to. It's a forum where people exchange views, it doesn't matter how long you've been a supporter. It's not a point scoring exercise, and you've resorted to it again in your post above. Tut tut, it's the argument thread for you (ok us).
    I've been following Charlton my whole life, but a proper supporter since 2015, for what it's worth. And I expect I'm older than you ;-)
    Just accept that other people can have their own views without trying to demean them.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here.

Nothing is stopping you following your hero to his next club and supporting them - although after the abysmal job he’s done here it mught be a long wait.
    He's not my hero, and if we don't even make the playoffs he has to go, whatever the restrictions Duchatelet has placed on him.
    But I don't like endlessly sacking managers under what is a rotten regime, and I don't like the hysteria that can we whipped up here @Oakster . I'm entitled to express my probably misguided opinion without the likes of you jumping on the bandwagon, ta very much.

If you can't see that many of us are sick of the regime, sick of regime apologists (see day one in this job) like Robinson & just wanting a clean break from the whole rotten lot - then you have only been supporting us for a very a short time (which if I recall is true).

I know you are well intentioned, but you don't get the bigger picture - Robinson is mediocre & mediocrity is the hallmark of Duchatalatet & his cronies since day one - some accept it & even seem to enjoy it - thankfully many oppose & refuse to accept that we can sink to this level without some sort of fight back.

(There after being in Netaddicks & Charlton Life since day one - i am finally getting close to making an appearance on the argument thread)
    I wasn't referring to your opinions which, as expressed above, aren't far off my own. It's the unnecessary badmouthing you come out with when someone expresses an opinion that isn't the same as yours. That's the hysteria I'm referring to. It's a forum where people exchange views, it doesn't matter how long you've been a supporter. It's not a point scoring exercise, and you've resorted to it again in your post above. Tut tut, it's the argument thread for you (ok us).
    I've been following Charlton my whole life, but a proper supporter since 2015, for what it's worth. And I expect I'm older than you ;-)
    Just accept that other people can have their own views without trying to demean them.
    To quote you before I even responded:

"Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here."

Comes across as pretty patronising - even before you chuck the hysteria bit in yet again.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

"Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here."

Comes across as pretty patronising - even before you chuck the hysteria bit in yet again.
    Exaggeration. I wasn't 'chucking in the hysteria bit yet again', I was referring to my previous and only use of the word.
    And it's a perfectly valid argument. Some of the anti Robinson is well OTT imho. Feel free to disagree, but as I said let other people have their own views without trying to demean them or get personal @Oakster . I'm sure we wouldn't be at each others throats if we were discussing the great fat the manager over a pint.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Exaggeration. I wasn't 'chucking in the hysteria bit yet again', I was referring to my previous and only use of the word.
    And it's a perfectly valid argument. Some of the anti Robinson is well OTT imho. Feel free to disagree, but as I said let other people have their own views without trying to demean them or get personal @Oakster . I'm sure we wouldn't be at each others throats if we were discussing the great fat the manager over a pint.
    Robinson publically proclaimed at the start of his tenure how great Roland and Katrien were. He may be a nice guy and all that but he spoke without thinking, misjudged the situation and apart from a spell at the start of this season - he has failed to deliver. The return from the last 20 or so games is full on relegation form. I just cannot understand how anyone with any passion for our club can defend him at this stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What if the criteria was touchline dress sense?
    Tisdale's got to be in with a shout.
    No way Pochettino
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

You'd get on well with LincsAddick.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Robinson publically proclaimed at the start of his tenure how great Roland and Katrien were. He may be a nice guy and all that but he spoke without thinking, misjudged the situation and apart from a spell at the start of this season - he has failed to deliver. The return from the last 20 or so games is full on relegation form. I just cannot understand how anyone with any passion for our club can defend him at this stage.
    As I've said, this isn't about that, it's about allowing people to express an opinion without trying to demean them, whether you just cannot understand them or not. I can't understand much of what @stigthundercock says, but I've yet to set out to demean him or suggest he support another club.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not convinced by him but rated quite highly by some sections of fans, the main Facebook group for example. Reasons usually are:

- We're 1/2/3 points off the play-offs with games in hand
    - He's not had a big enough budget
    - Who would you want him replaced with
    - It's not his fault players make individual mistakes and miss chances
    - Tactics aren't as important as made out/he does make tactical changes during games
    - He's been unlucky with injuries

I think his personality is a big part of it. Had he been more boring like Slade some might not be so keen to defend him.
  • Options

Nathan Jones for me too. Otherwise I wonder if Alex Dyer would be ready for a number one role? He is doing v well as Steve Clarke's assistant at Kilmarnock. (Assuming we can't prise Powelly away from Southend, that is.)

I’d go for the pair of them. No offence to my other club (Killie) but I really like Steve Clarke as a manager and we (despite everything) are a step up.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

You'd get on well with LincsAddick.
    Really.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not convinced by him but rated quite highly by some sections of fans, the main Facebook group for example. Reasons usually are:

- Tactics aren't as important as made out/he does make tactical changes during games

I think his personality is a big part of it. Had he been more boring like Slade some might not be so keen to defend him.
    I think as always you can counteract every single one of those points.

- we maybe 1/2/3 places off the play offs, but if he had half a brain we would have seen out games such as Blackpool, Bradford, Oxford and Doncaster and been 8 points better off.

- he’s got in ofvthe biggest budgets in the league - the likes of Scunthorpe and Plymouth seem to be doing ok without anywhere near as much as Robinson has at his disposal.

- every team gets injuries.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

- we maybe 1/2/3 places off the play offs, but if he had half a brain we would have seen out games such as Blackpool, Bradford, Oxford and Doncaster and been 8 points better off.

- he’s got in ofvthe biggest budgets in the league - the likes of Scunthorpe and Plymouth seem to be doing ok without anywhere near as much as Robinson has at his disposal.

lol He's spent less than £100K. He was promised a top six budget by Meire, but that turned out to be incorrect surprise surprise.
    Doesn't mean he's a great manager of course.

We've also had more than our fair share of injuries as you presumably know.

If we don't make the playoffs I believe he should go, despite all that.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

lol He's spent less than £100K. He was promised a top six budget by Meire, but that turned out to be incorrect surprise surprise.

Wasn't Clarke a 6 figure fee? He also spent fees on Page and Fosu.

Not much at all but then have Scunthorpe, Plymouth, Shrewsbury and Rotherham spent much on transfer fees? I assume Wigan and Blackburn have spent more, but we're no longer trying to compete with them.

The overall budget including wages will no doubt be one of the highest in the league. Likes of Reeves and Marshall seen as some of the best players in the league, will be on a decent wage. Players like Sarr and Bauer signed on long contracts in the Championship. Decent money spent on Pearce and Ajose by Slade. Solly and Jackson presumably on more than an average League 1 wage.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Wasn't Clarke a 6 figure fee? He also spent fees on Page and Fosu.

Not much at all but then have Scunthorpe, Plymouth, Shrewsbury and Rotherham spent much on transfer fees? I assume Wigan and Blackburn have spent more, but we're no longer trying to compete with them.

The overall budget including wages will no doubt be one of the highest in the league. Likes of Reeves and Marshall seen as some of the best players in the league, will be on a decent wage. Players like Sarr and Bauer signed on long contracts in the Championship. Decent money spent on Pearce and Ajose by Slade. Solly and Jackson presumably on more than an average League 1 wage.
    I believe the total is under 100K. Hard to prove but that's what KR has said. The wages budget is a Katrien legacy, and the only wiggle room Karl has had is he was allowed to use some of the wages saved when players were let go on wages for Marshall and Reeves I believe.
    It's unfair to use the wage bill which includes high wages paid to the likes of Sarr, Pearce, Ajose and Bauer as a stick to beat Robinson with isn't it?
    Criticism about tactics, team selections and formations is a different matter of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from AJose he chose to keep those players, while others such as Tex and Ceballos were sold. I know what you're saying but we don't know what limiations other clubs in the play-offs have when it comes to their budgets either. The tactics/formation is my main issue though, he seems determined to make 4-2-3-1 work when it hasn't for months.

While he didn't get a budget like Powell, Parkinson had similar issues of previous managers signings stuck on long term contracts on big wages. Without a 20+ goal striker he nearly got us promoted automatically and only lost in the play-off semi final on penalties. The following season with an even smaller budget he kept us in the play-off places until he was sacked. The football wasn't great but he got results. As much as entertainment is important, trying to play attractive football but struggling to get results isn't entertaining.

I like the idea of attacking football and plenty of goals, but this team clearly isn't capable of it. Magennis is neither a goalscorer or top quality hold up player. We have no fit natural number 10, a key role in the formation (unless you count Reeves, who has mostly been ineffective). Solly isn't the player he was, trying to use him as an attacking wing back doesn't suit him. Signings like Reeves, Marshall and KaiKai (still early days for him) haven't provided the goals and assists we need from them.

I expect Zyro will start tonight. Unless he steps up and becomes the striker we need I can't see us going on the run we need to make the play-offs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Apart from AJose he chose to keep those players, while others such as Tex and Ceballos were sold. I know what you're saying but we don't know what limiations other clubs in the play-offs have when it comes to their budgets either. The tactics/formation is my main issue though, he seems determined to make 4-2-3-1 work when it hasn't for months.

While he didn't get a budget like Powell, Parkinson had similar issues of previous managers signings stuck on long term contracts on big wages. Without a 20+ goal striker he nearly got us promoted automatically and only lost in the play-off semi final on penalties. The following season with an even smaller budget he kept us in the play-off places until he was sacked. The football wasn't great but he got results. As much as entertainment is important, trying to play attractive football but struggling to get results isn't entertaining.

I like the idea of attacking football and plenty of goals, but this team clearly isn't capable of it. Magennis is neither a goalscorer or top quality hold up player. We have no fit natural number 10, a key role in the formation (unless you count Reeves, who has mostly been ineffective). Solly isn't the player he was, trying to use him as an attacking wing back doesn't suit him. Signings like Reeves, Marshall and KaiKai (still early days for him) haven't provided the goals and assists we need from them.

I expect Zyro will start tonight. Unless he steps up and becomes the striker we need I can't see us going on the run we need to make the play-offs.

Exactly.

I agree with the whole post, and pray that Zyro starts.

If he doesn't, I might start a one-man 'Robinson must go' protest.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Fantastic post.

Kaikai shows the odd flash of class and skill but too demotivated or lazy to keep trying.

Reeves has looked better, but once again too little too late really and Marshall has shown a degree of ability, can only hope that continues to grow.

If Zyro can be the hold up player we need, this may help Reeves do what he did best at MK.
  • Options
    Would Keith Curle be a contender.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Would Keith Curle be a contender.

Certainly wouldnt be a bad choice.

Kevin Nolan is another who seems to be settling well into Management and would be a good appointment

If it were the Aussies to take over the club and so wanted one of their own countrymen in charge, then Harry Kewell would be a risk but might be worth taking - After a slow start with Crawley, he's really started doing well
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

I said budget (as in signing in fees, loan fees, wages etc, etc. - not just transfer budget)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    All depends on the board we have. If it's the Aussie's then Ange Postecoglou could be interesting. Ex Australia manager and now managing in Japan. Was known for playing exciting football. Harry Kewell could also be an option if the Aussies want one of their own in. Rocky start at Crawley but seems to have turned things around.

An internal option for me would be Jason Euell, has had a lot of experience with the under 23's and some first team coaching experience.

If I was to pick someone from within this country, then Gareth Ainsworth, Nathan Jones and a bit of a long shot would be John Coleman (working wonders at Accrington with the joint smallest budget).

I would really like Gary Rowett but can't see him dropping down to league 1.

• Options
    what is it with you lot........cant you read the opening post !!!!!!

EX-CAFC PLAYER AS MANAGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I wouldn't want any ex-cafc player than Powell back in a manager role for us right now.

That includes a no to Curbs. Been too long, as DoF to Powell maybe.
  • Options
    Robison I hear is off to oxford