Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

12346»

Comments

• Options

Surprised Schindler’s List hasn’t got more of a mention.

I'm not. I thought it was a dreadful piece of film making being typical Spielberg press button A to get emotion Z drivel.
  • Options
    cblock said:

Totally agree , hope that lowlife gets sorted out inside.

I don't. I don't want people taking the law into their own hands regardless of 'honourable' they feel and 'dishonourable' they think the crime is. That's the kind of reasoning that leads to Muslim men killing their female relatives. It's wrong in all cases.
  • Options

My slight problem with this is that the original film was terrific. Why remake it? I'd be surprised if the new film is better! if they don't keep the music it will have no chance from the start!

They only improvement I think possible would be with the effects for the explosions which are very shoddy in the original although probably state-of-the-art at the time.
  • Options

I vistied the Normandy beaches many years ago and The Longest Day became even more engrossing for doing so. The bravery of the troops was incredible.

Felt the same when watching Saving Private Ryan, visited the beaches in 2014, a great experience.
  • Options
    Das Boat top effort ---- when the officers are having food and the Captain tells a Junior officer ge had lice and get it sorted ---the junior officer says he us---the Captain tells him its a bad case and sort it out as he can see thevlice in the guys eye brows !!!!

Ice Cold in Alex----try to watch it with out wanting a beer at the end !
  • Options
    A new WW2 film that is being made now is "Pegasus Bridge".

The original filming for the production was delayed twice, the second time was because of the Brexit vote, which caused our production a number of issues, not least of which was the fall of the value of the pound against the euro which meant our intended dates for filming in France had to be delayed because of the difference in cost. We only have one shooting window per year and the next one is in 2018. When the film and how the film is released is not decided by Eagles Dare Films, it is decided by the film’s distributor. It is unlikely to be before 2019 but could be even later, again depending on the decisions made by the distributor.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    That could be an excellent story to tell, is it being based on Stephen Ambrose account? I remember him saying that a visit to Pegasus Bridge on a battlefield tour in the 80's led to his fascination with Normandy and onto Band of Brothers.

The capture of Pegasus Bridge is such an epic story from the 'greatest bit of flying in the war' to the arrival of Lord Lovat its pretty much non stop action.

Alongside Blue Beach, Dieppe (Puys) and The Nek, Gallipoli its one of the few stands/spots that takes longer to tell and guide than it took to capture on the day, look forward to seeing a modern version on film.

Minor triv but of the two bridges 'Ham' & 'Jam', Jam the second one was built by Gustav Eiffel
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Stevelamb said:

A new WW2 film that is being made now is "Pegasus Bridge".

The original filming for the production was delayed twice, the second time was because of the Brexit vote, which caused our production a number of issues, not least of which was the fall of the value of the pound against the euro which meant our intended dates for filming in France had to be delayed because of the difference in cost. We only have one shooting window per year and the next one is in 2018. When the film and how the film is released is not decided by Eagles Dare Films, it is decided by the film’s distributor. It is unlikely to be before 2019 but could be even later, again depending on the decisions made by the distributor.

Well worth a visit, a fascinating place and good museum. They still don't charge our armed forces in the Café Gondree, when I was there the owner just waved away the leader of a British Legion party when he went to pay.

Theresa Gondree, flatly refused to serve Germans in the café until the day she died. Major Howard (the officer in charge of the attack) befriended a German officer involved in the battle after the war and had to make out to her that he was Swedish whenever they visited.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Das Boot is my favourite, probably as atmospheric and realistic as you can get. The longer Directors cut is superb.
  • Options
    Haven't seen nearly enough of these films, especially as a History grad. Thought the newest Dunkirk was brilliant, some people my age don't seem to have totally understood it and expected visceral fighting throughout like you see in Hacksaw Ridge but the way they built up the tension and maintained it in a film with a relatively slow pace I thought was excellent. Definitely need to rewatch it. Think Band of Brothers is incredible, although overly focuses on the Americans in parts such as Battle of the Bulge, and when us Brits are in it they give us ridiculous comic book accents. Always pees me off that does.
    Band of Brothers is one of the best ever Mini-Series... the Pacific was good yet not quite as good Spielberg doing another one based on the USAF which is slowly progressing: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html
    Meant to ask about The Pacific, never seen that either but always meant to, although heard mixed reports about how good it is.
    The Pacific is good, but it suffers from being based on three separate books and different campaigns. It doesn't connect together so well over the 10 episodes. It's still well worth your time though. Eugene Sledge's book "With the Old Breed", which the Peleliu and Okinawa episodes are based on, is an excellent read. People inevitably compare it with Band of Brothers which was based on the Stephen Ambrose book of the same name and follows a single unit through from D-Day to the end the war. It just makes for a more coherent narrative and stronger emotional connection for the viewer with the individual soldiers.
    I've read BoB, cracking read and although a bit drier than the tv series was brilliant and definitely would re-read. Have been meaning to for a little while.
    I read Band of Brothers recently.  It was a very good read, poignant and in places hilarious.