Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

Comments

• Options

fadgadget said:

As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Other films not mentioned that I always watch include Cross of Iron, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death. But then again I like most of Powell & Pressburger's films.

Sam Kydd documentary on talking pictures the other day was taken prisoner at Dunkirk spend the whole war as pow.

My dad was in the bomb disposal during the war so love Danger UXB.

All so loved A matter of life and death.
    Quite a lot of the great actors i used to watch on TV when I was a kid served in some capacity during the war, I like to read Biography's/Autobiography's , Leslie Philips , Arthur lowe , Sid James , you get my drift, there is a great bit about the late Peter Butterworth who was shot down during the war and tells of a little part in a film he went for but didn't get, I have just cut and paste the clip below .

Whilst at Stalag Luft III he met Talbot Rothwell, who later went on to write many of the Carry On films in which Butterworth was to star.[2] Rothwell and Butterworth formed a duet and sang in the camp shows, where booing and catcalls covered the sounds of an escape tunnel being dug by other prisoners. Butterworth was one of the vaulters covering for the escapers during the escape portrayed by the book and film The Wooden Horse. Butterworth later auditioned for the film in 1949 but "didn't look convincingly heroic or athletic enough" according to the makers of the film
    I petty sure Richard Todd plays his own CO in the longest day he was a para officer taking a bridge and holding until the landing force can get to them.
    Yeah your right... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Todd

Have to wonder how it must have been for an actor to play a role in a War movie that they were actually involved in

Bet there were many from the two Wars who couldnt have done so
  • Options

Missed It said:

On the Japanese view, I'd recommend "Grave of the Fireflies" and "In This Corner of the World".

"Grave of the Fireflies" is actually getting a one day showing at Picturehouse cinemas next month. Bring a hanky though, it is beautiful and brutal in equal measure.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best movies I've seen of any style and genre. I'd call it harrowing rather than brutal.
    Yes, you're right. Perhaps not the right word to describe the actual film. I was trying to convey the emotional impact it had on me
  • Options

Sinking of the Bismark. Bridge on the river Kwai. 633 Squadron. Escape from Colditz. Great Escape. Saving Private Ryan. Schindlers List. Dunkirk.

If by Sinking of the Bismark you mean Sink the Bismarck! with Kenneth More, I agree with you with one caveat. The totally inaccurate sinking of a British destroyer the night before Bismarck gets sunk is totally unnecessary.
    Also the film portrays Admiral Lutjens as a stereotype Nazi madman, when in fact he was nothing of the sort. The destroyer sinking is also utter nonsense and didn’t happen.
  • Options

Kubrick made one of the great war films about the Great War, Paths of Glory. Strictly speaking, it's an anti-war film but it's still great.

Agreed - one of my favourite films.
  • Options
    With Tom Cruise as the lead I really like watching Valkyrie...
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned Memphis Belle
  • Options

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Memphis Belle

Good shout. I've been on the plane they used in the film. It was on display at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago and you could pay on the day to go inside. Considering it was a "live" aircraft, was pleasantly surprised when they allowed you to go up and sit in the cockpit.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Haven't seen nearly enough of these films, especially as a History grad.

Thought the newest Dunkirk was brilliant, some people my age don't seem to have totally understood it and expected visceral fighting throughout like you see in Hacksaw Ridge but the way they built up the tension and maintained it in a film with a relatively slow pace I thought was excellent. Definitely need to rewatch it.

Think Band of Brothers is incredible, although overly focuses on the Americans in parts such as Battle of the Bulge, and when us Brits are in it they give us ridiculous comic book accents. Always pees me off that does.

Band of Brothers is one of the best ever Mini-Series... the Pacific was good yet not quite as good

Spielberg doing another one based on the USAF which is slowly progressing:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html
    Meant to ask about The Pacific, never seen that either but always meant to, although heard mixed reports about how good it is.
    The Pacific is good, but it suffers from being based on three separate books and different campaigns. It doesn't connect together so well over the 10 episodes. It's still well worth your time though. Eugene Sledge's book "With the Old Breed", which the Peleliu and Okinawa episodes are based on, is an excellent read.

People inevitably compare it with Band of Brothers which was based on the Stephen Ambrose book of the same name and follows a single unit through from D-Day to the end the war. It just makes for a more coherent narrative and stronger emotional connection for the viewer with the individual soldiers.
    I've read BoB, cracking read and although a bit drier than the tv series was brilliant and definitely would re-read. Have been meaning to for a little while.
  • Options

With Tom Cruise as the lead I really like watching Valkyrie...

and here's me thinking we're having a serious discussion.
  • Options
    I love a B&W film that ends with a flickering ensign and the words 'the makers would like to thank the admiralty....' The Battle of the River Plate was the last thing I watched with dad before he died. Many years ago I noticed the battle flag of HMS Acheron hanging in Port Stanley Cathedral (church), real history.

'The Cruel Sea' and 'In Which We Serve' (HMS Torin?) have already been mentioned but also try 'The Ship That Died of Shame'

@Tom_Hovi is the man for all things nautical so may have a few more gems to add.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honourable mentions for:

The Bridge at Remegan
    Battle of the Bulge
    633 Squardon
    Mosquito Squadron
  • Options
    I watched The Guns of Naverone for the first time since I was a kid the other day. Not sure if it’s historically correct or anything but to my mind it’s a very good film.
  • Options
    Flags of our fathers. You can never know the true horror of war through theses films but this one is quite graphic.
    Clint Eastwood should of given up the acting at an early age and taken on the directing.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Hope and Glory is an absolute masterpiece of a film. It is how most of us would like to think how being a young boy growing up in WW2 would be.

I took a group of people who had learning difficulties to see Hope & Glory (in Peckham, I think). When we got there it was such a rush that we accidentally wet into the wrong screening and ended up watching Distant Voices, Still Lives (which is a very different film but vaguely covering the war years). It took us weeks to work out that I had cocked up.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Too late the Hero
    The Train (surprised its wasn't No 1 on here)
    Castle Keep
    Battle of River Plate
    Murphy's War
    Play Dirty (For the Ending)
    The Secret of Santa Vittoria
    The Man who Never Was (my favourite)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    SE7toSG3 said:

I love a B&W film that ends with a flickering ensign and the words 'the makers would like to thank the admiralty....' The Battle of the River Plate was the last thing I watched with dad before he died. Many years ago I noticed the battle flag of HMS Acheron hanging in Port Stanley Cathedral (church), real history.

'The Cruel Sea' and 'In Which We Serve' (HMS Torin?) have already been mentioned but also try 'The Ship That Died of Shame'

@Tom_Hovi is the man for all things nautical so may have a few more gems to add.

The Cruel Sea is one of the greatest war movies ever made and Jack Hawkins probably gives the performance of his life as Ericson. The book is superb too, as is anything written by Monserrat, who was writing of his own experiences much of the time.

San Demetrio, London is a good wartime made film, which features the flickering ensign that @SE7toSG3 mentions. A true story too.

Western Approaches is a gem, made with real seafarers in the starring roles and shot in colour-some priceless footage of the Battle of the Atlantic shot at the time.

Battle of the River Plate, also shot in colour and whilst not Powell & Pressburger’s finest work, very much worth a watch.

In Which We Serve also half decent, although I have difficulty in finding Noel Coward as a believable character. HMS Torrin is based on HMS Kelly and her exploits under Lord Louis Mountbatten, one of the most reckless destroyer captains ever, who had he not been a member of the Royal family, would have never commanded another ship after he nearly got Kelly sunk underneath him in the North Sea and then whilst she was under repair, nearly did the same with HMS Javelin, when he ignored the regular C/O’s advice and placed his ship beam on to a torpedo attack. Result, Javelin’s bow and stern blown off with the loss of many men.

Both Dunkirk movies are well done, though pointless in comparing one over the other as they tell the story in different ways. The 1958 film tells us something of the mood in the U.K. at the time and explains the fighting withdrawal of the BEF, although barely mentions the French. The 2017 movie establishes inside the opening shots of the film where we are-inside the Dunkirk perimeter and also explains something of the plight of the French. Both good films but my criticism of both is that they both perpetuate the myth of the “little ships” at Dunkirk. They did important work but actually only lifted about 6-7% of the men evacuated, most of whom were lifted by the RN destroyers and large transport ships from the Mole.

Sailor of The King is an interesting film, shot with alternative endings, both of which were shown at the time of the original screenings.

Edit: Sorry Clive, yes The Ship That Died of Shame is another excellent Monserrat adaptation.
  • Options
    The Way Ahead and First of the Few for a good bit of British War Time Propaganda
  • Options
    I've always liked The Longest Day. I recall a trip with a mate to Normandy as a young man which I found fascinating. I think the bravery of those involved - normal people fighting together to free the World from the Nazis was incredible. One scene in the film is the American Soldier getting his parachute stuck on a church steeple. He lived through it and when I visited the church had the parachute and a replica soldier on its steeple. I assume it still does.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:

SE7toSG3 said:

The Cruel Sea is one of the greatest war movies ever made and Jack Hawkins probably gives the performance of his life as Ericson. The book is superb too, as is anything written by Monserrat, who was writing of his own experiences much of the time.

San Demetrio, London is a good wartime made film, which features the flickering ensign that @SE7toSG3 mentions. A true story too.

Western Approaches is a gem, made with real seafarers in the starring roles and shot in colour-some priceless footage of the Battle of the Atlantic shot at the time.

Battle of the River Plate, also shot in colour and whilst not Powell & Pressburger’s finest work, very much worth a watch.

In Which We Serve also half decent, although I have difficulty in finding Noel Coward as a believable character. HMS Torrin is based on HMS Kelly and her exploits under Lord Louis Mountbatten, one of the most reckless destroyer captains ever, who had he not been a member of the Royal family, would have never commanded another ship after he nearly got Kelly sunk underneath him in the North Sea and then whilst she was under repair, nearly did the same with HMS Javelin, when he ignored the regular C/O’s advice and placed his ship beam on to a torpedo attack. Result, Javelin’s bow and stern blown off with the loss of many men.

Both Dunkirk movies are well done, though pointless in comparing one over the other as they tell the story in different ways. The 1958 film tells us something of the mood in the U.K. at the time and explains the fighting withdrawal of the BEF, although barely mentions the French. The 2017 movie establishes inside the opening shots of the film where we are-inside the Dunkirk perimeter and also explains something of the plight of the French. Both good films but my criticism of both is that they both perpetuate the myth of the “little ships” at Dunkirk. They did important work but actually only lifted about 6-7% of the men evacuated, most of whom were lifted by the RN destroyers and large transport ships from the Mole.

Sailor of The King is an interesting film, shot with alternative endings, both of which were shown at the time of the original screenings.

Edit: Sorry Clive, yes The Ship That Died of Shame is another excellent Monserrat adaptation.
    I agree with the Noel Coward comment. There wasn't much decent on the Tele in the 70's so I had to like one of the few decent films that was regularly on, but my Dad and I would always moan about Noel Coward!
  • Options

I've always liked The Longest Day. I recall a trip with a mate to Normandy as a young man which I found fascinating. I think the bravery of those involved - normal people fighting together to free the World from the Nazis was incredible. One scene in the film is the American Soldier getting his parachute stuck on a church steeple. He lived through it and when I visited the church had the parachute and a replica soldier on its steeple. I assume it still does.

Yes they do if was John Steel on the church at St Mere eglise
    His story was misrepresented in the film, but that's Hollywood .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it was Red Buttons who played the man on the steeple in the film?
  • Options
    This is a quite remarkable film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utufI9lrhpA

It was shot with ships borrowed from the Royal Navy (for example, Queen Elizabeth class battleships stand in for the battlecruisers at the actual battle). I saw it at the BFI film festival with a live orchestra. It was the first showing after they'd done a massive restoration on it, although they'd still left at least one bit back to front because you saw SMS SCHARNHORST in reverse on a sailor's hat.
  • Options
    Anyone ever seen a film called "Went the day well" I believe it was made as a propaganda piece and the premise is that Germans arrive in a small English village dressed as English soldiers and at first are welcomed until their identity is discovered and then the battle for survival ensues, of course this was remade as "The Eagle has landed" but the original is brilliant.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Anyone ever seen a film called "Went the day well" I believe it was made as a propaganda piece and the premise is that Germans arrive in a small English village dressed as English soldiers and at first are welcomed until their identity is discovered and then the battle for survival ensues, of course this was remade as "The Eagle has landed" but the original is brilliant.

It was on Film 4 a couple of weeks ago, was very good.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it Dave a good example of an old film made on a low budget being excellent and exciting
  • Options

Mentioned previously in the thread.

One of my favourite WW2 films. A classic film.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    More like WW3 but watched this Peter Sellers classic last night. Black comedy at its best.

https://mubi.com/showing/dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb
  • Options

For those working at home today, this is on TCM at 13:05 (I’ll be watching Sink the Bismarck though)
  • Options
    Pop quiz

What is the connection between Went the Day Well, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Vicar of Dibley?
  • Options
    Location of filming?