Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NASL

So ..... I was born in 1970, so in the late 70's I was an impressionable young lad - Dad had taken me to Charlton in 77, so that seed was planted - however in the late 70's the 'North American Soccer League' was news in the UK - there were lots of high profile UK pros playing there, and it certainly got my attention

Who was high profile in football end of the 70's - well Trevor Francis was right up there, and outside of my Charlton favourites, I thought he was great

Move on on a few years and I realised he is a cock - still was a good player though

Anyway - the NASL team that I followed was Detroit Express because of Trev

No interest in New England Tea Men, despite Flash being most valuable player - soz

For those of a certain age - what was your NASL team ?

Comments

• MVP

76 Pele
    77 Beckenbauer
    78 Flash
    79 Cruyff

• Tampa Bay Rowdies, loved the shirt. Was desperate to get one of the Admiral ones they had on sale here - It was on sale in the RACS in Woolwich but my mum said it was of shoddy quality. To be fair she was right they were printed and made of Nylon.
  • Was in the Johan Cruyff shop in Amsterdam a couple of weeks again - they had some quality retro shirts from all of the clubs he played for Including NASL teams - LA Aztecs and Washington Diplomats.
  • edited February 2018
    Well possibly more in retrospect the Chicago Sting, but loved Tampa Bay mostly as @BDL said due to the shirt.

• LA Aztecs and San Jose Earthquake, both due to George Best.

Always remember what is considered one of the great goals in the NASL, scored by Best for the Earthquake.
  • BDL said:

Tampa Bay Rowdies, loved the shirt. Was desperate to get one of the Admiral ones they had on sale here - It was on sale in the RACS in Woolwich but my mum said it was of shoddy quality. To be fair she was right they were printed and made of Nylon.

I recently bought a Tampa Bay shirt from TOFFS - it's excellent quality - they don't do Detroit Express sadly - take a look at their NASL shirts - some cracking ones on there