Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NASL

So ..... I was born in 1970, so in the late 70's I was an impressionable young lad - Dad had taken me to Charlton in 77, so that seed was planted - however in the late 70's the 'North American Soccer League' was news in the UK - there were lots of high profile UK pros playing there, and it certainly got my attention

Who was high profile in football end of the 70's - well Trevor Francis was right up there, and outside of my Charlton favourites, I thought he was great

Move on on a few years and I realised he is a cock - still was a good player though

Anyway - the NASL team that I followed was Detroit Express because of Trev

No interest in New England Tea Men, despite Flash being most valuable player - soz

For those of a certain age - what was your NASL team ?

Comments

• Options
    MVP

76 Pele
    77 Beckenbauer
    78 Flash
    79 Cruyff

• Options
    Tampa Bay Rowdies, loved the shirt. Was desperate to get one of the Admiral ones they had on sale here - It was on sale in the RACS in Woolwich but my mum said it was of shoddy quality. To be fair she was right they were printed and made of Nylon.
  • Options
    Was in the Johan Cruyff shop in Amsterdam a couple of weeks again - they had some quality retro shirts from all of the clubs he played for Including NASL teams - LA Aztecs and Washington Diplomats.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Well possibly more in retrospect the Chicago Sting, but loved Tampa Bay mostly as @BDL said due to the shirt.

• Options
    LA Aztecs and San Jose Earthquake, both due to George Best.

Always remember what is considered one of the great goals in the NASL, scored by Best for the Earthquake.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Tampa Bay Rowdies, loved the shirt. Was desperate to get one of the Admiral ones they had on sale here - It was on sale in the RACS in Woolwich but my mum said it was of shoddy quality. To be fair she was right they were printed and made of Nylon.

I recently bought a Tampa Bay shirt from TOFFS - it's excellent quality - they don't do Detroit Express sadly - take a look at their NASL shirts - some cracking ones on there