Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL rules affect Charlton Athletic and others

The EFL have introduced new measures to ensure teams are playing full-strength teams.

As part of the new rules which come into force this season, the EFL state that at least 10 outfield players from the previous fixture must continue in the side.

The alterations come into force on March 4.

The debate around full-strength teams was sparked after Birmingham City's 2-0 win against Huddersfield Town in April last year.

Terriers boss David Wagner made 10 changes to his side, who had already qualified for the play-offs.

Birmingham ran out comfortable winners to take a step closer to survival, which was secured the following week with a victory at Bristol City.

The EFL investigated Huddersfield's team selection but was unable to take any action because there are currently no guidelines on how to define what a full-strength team is.

However the issue was debated at the governing body's summer conference, with the EFL now set to introduce a new rule.

Following the confirmation of the new rule, a statement said: "Clubs supported the implementation of guidance on the following basis: 'for any league match played on or after the Thursday March 4 (including season 2017/18), any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League match before'."

Comments

• just had to look at the calendar & make sure that its not April 1st.
  • So every outfield player has to continue from week to week?
  • se9addick said:

So every outfield player has to continue from week to week?

Only from March 4th, as above
  • i assume team sheet includes the subs bench
  • edited February 2018
    I'm assuming they mean the matchday squad, ie 18 players - or 10 from 16 if you exclude the 2 goalkeepers. Not too drastic & can't see that it should be much of a problem.
  • edited February 2018
    Does it mean they have to start or what?

So, teams wont be able to change up their tactics based on opposition? drop out of form players? The oppo knowing exactly what team you'll be putting out?

How ridiculous, surely not serious.

If it's the match day squad, then....isn't that what every team does week in week out already....
  • edited February 2018
    It still means you can field two totally different starting XIs...

10 outfield and 6 subs for the first match...

By the new rule, 10 of the original 16 must remain in the squad for the second match...

The maximum number (6) of first team players are rested so 6 new reserve players start the second match, plus 5 of the 6 subs from the first match.

The bench is made up of one sub from the last game and 5 starters of the last game.

No rules broken, totally different starting XIs.
  • Thats a joke... Players come in and out of form, fatigue will play a part too...

With injury being the only exception (I'm guessing) it crazy they're enforcing this

Why not have a separate rule for the domestic cup competitions that a League club is involved in each year... As a club you name a squad of 20-players who in all three of those and thats it

Ultimately though, as a team, its up to the Manager who he picks... the Manager will know if he messes up and takes his team on a bad run after making so many changes then he knows he'll most likely get the sack - Of course, just look at Mark Hughes who did that for the Stoke game against Chelsea recently
  • Sponsored links:

• That's an impossible rule to inforce. Do the EFL have the staff to check clubs medical rooms to see if players are genuinely injured ? Also what if players is rested due to fatigue as Fosu was on Saturday ? Are the EFL forcing players to play when they are not fit.
    Another thing - surely it's a mangers prerogative to change an entire team if he wants to for whatever reason?
    It really does feel like an April fools joke.
  • Dont worry... Its decisions like these that'll bring fans back to the Stadiums

Of course, their very own rules (Fit and Proper Person tests etc.) need absolutely no review as the EFL themselves are perfect, its the game thats broken!!
  • edited February 2018
    IMO, the most important word in the statement above is guidance. What does that mean then? Not a league regulation? No sanction? Or what? Does the EFL not have any lawyers in its governing body? Isn't there a lawyer representing the EFL on the FA Council.....oh....yes.....there....is..... isn't there?

So, anyway what is the penalty? Money or points? Will the guidance apply to meaningless end of season fixtures often used to blood young players? Utterly bonkers.

Edited to add: how does it "fit in" with Reg 31: Penalty for Non-Fulfilment of Fixture Obligations? Would not having ten fit players from the previous fixture available because of injury or illness be deemed "outside the influence of the club"? Which penalty would be worse, fielding a weakened team or just not turning up but sending a batch of doctor's sick notes instead?
  • In the Premier League you name a 25 man squad.

Surely It is the manager’s prerogative to use any players from that squad as he sees fit.

Fuck off EFL and sort out ownership issues first.

• Classic EFL - fuck around fixing a problem that isn't really there, while you;ve got clubs being misrun left right and centre.

Fixture list have and always will be a luck of the draw - we had half our best player missing over Christmas - made us an easier fixture than we might have been earlier or later in the season - does that give teams that got to play us then an unfair advantage over ones that played in September?

Several teams will be settled in midtable by mid March and have little to play for - does that gives team who play them then an unfair advantage over teams who played them in November when the stakes were still higher?
  • I'd like to know how often this rule has been broken so far this season
  • I'd like to know how often this rule has been broken so far this season

It can’t be broken if it hasn’t been implemented.
  • Play the sub keeper on pitch, sure that would go down well.
  • the EFL spent months putting this together never mind the amount of money an initiative like this costs. just think, the countless hours in meetings. the independent think tanks. the hiring of outside help in the legality of it all, and then in a few comments on this website you lot have completely undone all the hard work. shame on you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    What a load of old bollocks. So if you lost 7-0 and wanted to make changes to the team you can’t?

A manager should be able to pick whatever team he likes. Huddersfield achieved a play off place early by having a good season and earned the right to rest players. I should imagine the clubs in the relegation area had a moan that Birmingham picked up an easy 3 points (in a game they still had to win). Here’s a novel idea those clubs should take on board - win games and makes sure you aren’t down at the bottom.

All it means is a list of mystery illness and fake injuries. Why they keep trying to change things is beyond me. Football just keeps getting shittier and shittier.
  • And how will this rule work with players coming back from injury, for example we would all be pleased to see Pearce back as one of are best defenders, but under this rule he could not start a game after the 4th of March if he was not on the team sheet the game before.
    No this must be wrong.
  • One other rule change which might well effect us was passed yesterday

Goal Line Technology

The EFL have confirmed that Goal Line Technology, which was introduced into the Sky Bet Championship in 2017/18, will be in operation at this year’s Sky Bet League One and Sky Bet League Two Semi-Final Play-Offs.
  • FINALLY SOMEONE GETS AT THE REAL PROBLEM IN FOOTBALL!!!

Lack of maths involved in team selection.
  • A ridiculous rule that won't work. You can say a player is injured, most will have some form of minor knock.
  • Rothko said:

One other rule change which might well effect us was passed yesterday

Goal Line Technology

The EFL have confirmed that Goal Line Technology, which was introduced into the Sky Bet Championship in 2017/18, will be in operation at this year’s Sky Bet League One and Sky Bet League Two Semi-Final Play-Offs.

I don't agree with that.

You might get through/not get through to the final because of a goal line decision, but that same decision couldn't be decided during the season which may have gained you/cost you a place in said play off semi finals.
  • Ross said:

Rothko said:

Goal Line Technology

I don't agree with that.

You might get through/not get through to the final because of a goal line decision, but that same decision couldn't be decided during the season which may have gained you/cost you a place in said play off semi finals.
    Was used in all the finals last year, so the point is a bit moot
  • Rothko said:

Ross said:

Rothko said:

Goal Line Technology

I don't agree with that.

I didn't actually know that.
  • Ross said:

Rothko said:

Ross said:

Rothko said:

Goal Line Technology

I don't agree with that.

I didn't actually know that.
    Think it's been used in all the finals since Wembley had it installed in 2014, including the Conference final, and even in the FA Trophy and Vase finals
  • msomerton said:

And how will this rule work with players coming back from injury, for example we would all be pleased to see Pearce back as one of are best defenders, but under this rule he could not start a game after the 4th of March if he was not on the team sheet the game before.
    No this must be wrong.

It doesn't mean that at all. As I read it, we would have to name 10 of the 16 outfield players from the previous game's squad. So we have 6 "spare" players. I'm sure im this instance Pearce would replace Jacko or Ajose from last weeks squad.

Although I''m not in favour of it at all it is hardly draconian & leaves plenty of wriggle room imo.