Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2018

Comments

• Kent v Northamptonshire starts 10:30 am today at Canterbury.

Unchanged squad:

Kent squad: 7 Sam Billings (c/wk), 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 16 Zak Crawley, 6 Joe Denly, 58 Sean Dickson, 4 Heino Kuhn, 25 , 1 Harry Podmore, 3 Darren Stevens, 9 Grant Stewart, 5 Ivan Thomas, 33 Adam Riley, 24 Matt Henry, 21 Oliver Robinson.
  • Kent team:

DJ Bell-Drummond
    SW Billings (c) †
    Z Crawley
    JL Denly
    SR Dickson
    MJ Henry
    HG Kuhn
    HW Podmore
    DI Stevens
    G Stewart
    IAA Thomas

As listed. Batting order will almost certainly differ. Northants to field first.
  • LenGlover said:

Kent team:

DJ Bell-Drummond
    SW Billings (c) †
    Z Crawley
    JL Denly
    SR Dickson
    MJ Henry
    HG Kuhn
    HW Podmore
    DI Stevens
    G Stewart
    IAA Thomas

As listed. Batting order will almost certainly differ. Northants to field first.

Feel sorry for Riles after his 7 wicket haul. Clearly we believe that we need a five seamer attack and it isn't worth having the second spinner - just hope we haven't misread the track and it "turns" out like the one we prepared for the T20 QF against Lancs.
  • 19/2

Here we go again ...

Who at the club decided that this season batting bonus points weren't important?!
  • Kuhn and Denly together now.
  • Redhenry said:

Sorry, but it's lose

Where did you find my photo? :smile:
  • Sussex 44/0 well on the way for some batting points
  • Stewart said:

Sussex 44/0 well on the way for some batting points

Sussex start this round of matches only 9 points behind us in the table despite us having won two matches more.

I can see Kent hanging on to second place until the last two rounds of matches - Sussex will then beat Warwickshire and Northants whilst we lose to champions Warwickshire in our last match, missing out on second place by dint of having no batting points throughout the season.

Come on Bilbo & co, prove me wrong and clinch promotion!
  • Have we got any batting points at home this season at Canterbury? If not, hardly any

The Canterbury pitches consistently seem to have been wrong for our needs
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart said:

Sussex start this round of matches only 9 points behind us in the table despite us having won two matches more.

I can see Kent hanging on to second place until the last two rounds of matches - Sussex will then beat Warwickshire and Northants whilst we lose to champions Warwickshire in our last match, missing out on second place by dint of having no batting points throughout the season.

I have to agree with you, but if you look at the season as a whole - Finalist in the 50 over competition, semi finalists in the T20 blast, 3rd in the ccc2. I think I would of taken that at the start of the summer.

• 91-4 at lunch
  • edited September 2018
    Lunchtime scoreboard:

Kent (2nd, P10 W7 157pts) v Northants (9th, P10, W3 91pts)

Kent 91-4 (29 ov) Toss uncontested

Warwicks (1st, P10 W7 172pts) v Durham (8th, P10 W3 92pts)

Start delayed due to rain. Toss uncontested, Durham to bat field first (oops!).

Sussex (3rd, P10 W5 148pts) v Leics (5th, P10 W4 118pts)

Sussex 97-1 (29 ov) Sussex won toss

Gloucs (6th, P10 W3 99pts) v Middlesex (4th, P10 W5 125pts)

Gloucs 63-1 (25.5 ov) Toss uncontested
  • Stewart said:

Stewart said:

I have to agree with you, but if you look at the season as a whole - Finalist in the 50 over competition, semi finalists in the T20 blast, 3rd in the ccc2. I think I would of taken that at the start of the summer.

Almost, nearly, close but no cigar.

Wasted season given the talent in the team?

Given that we lost Captain Compass last winter because he wanted to move to a Division One side and put himself in the England shop window, wouldn't promotion give us more chance of retaining our better players?
  • Stewart said:

Stewart said:

Almost, nearly, close but no cigar.

Wasted season given the talent in the team?

Given that we lost Captain Compass last winter because he wanted to move to a Division One side and put himself in the England shop window, wouldn't promotion give us more chance of retaining our better players?
    Just a point on Northeast.

I would find it absolutely hilarious if Denly got an England gig this winter...
    I don't think either SNE or Denly are England quality Test batsmen

Denly however has turned himself into a useful spinner, and on turning pitches this winter could be picked as a 3rd spinner/batsman
  • It's very tight at the bottom of Div 1, Lancs, Hants, Yorks and Worc could all go down. Lancs 72-5 against Somerset in real trouble
  • 93-5 Billings gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Shakes head in dismay as the Cricinfo changes to Kent 98-6.

Stevo the man gone.
  • I dread every time there is an update on this thread, it's only bad news!
  • Billings is one of, if not, the best glove man in the country but he isn't going to get anywhere near the England Test side all the time he struggles with the red ball.

Billings' average of 18 this season isn't uniquely poor as DBD (22), Rouse (17), Stevens (19), Crawley (24) and even the more "successful" Dickson (34), Denly (36) and Kuhn (37) are reflective of a batting strength that is really going to struggle if we do go up. And that is very much an "if" at the moment.
  • Jeez.

DBD the latest to have had enough of batting today, 106-7

:disappointed:
  • Billings is one of, if not, the best glove man in the country but he isn't going to get anywhere near the England Test side all the time he struggles with the red ball.

Billings' average of 18 this season isn't uniquely poor as DBD (22), Rouse (17), Stevens (19), Crawley (24) and even the more "successful" Dickson (34), Denly (36) and Kuhn (37) are reflective of a batting strength that is really going to struggle if we do go up. And that is very much an "if" at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-two/averages

For a top 2/3 team it's shocking how far down you have to go to find Kent players.
  • Stewart b Sanderson 5

Kent 111/8 (40.5 ov)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-two/averages

For a top 2/3 team it's shocking how far down you have to go to find Kent players.
    Not that surprising given good second innings totals are offsetting a pi55-poor first innings.
  • Score update: those of a nervous disposition should look away now ...

Kent 137 ao (47 ov), Henners and Ivan the terrible falling in successive deliveries.
  • 2-1, Henry strikes

You know Kent will bowl well, and that Northants will probably be bowled out cheaply, but we need batting points as well