Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for us Boycotters to return?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    How many US boycotters can there be? I’d wager it’d make no noticeable difference
  • Options

Football for a Fiver on February 24th looks well timed to me. I reckon the issue will be moot by then.

And if Murray's reassurances prove hollow, is there the possibility to concentrate regime minds by having a Protest for a Fiver?
  • Options
    Those that go could perhaps should finally join the boycotters for one last push to end the disastrous period of Duchatalet and his team?
  • Options
    Just come to the Wembley play off final.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Football for a Fiver on February 24th looks well timed to me. I reckon the issue will be moot by then.

And if Murray's reassurances prove hollow, is there the possibility to concentrate regime minds by having a Protest for a Fiver?
    You can bet your life fiver on it
  • Options
    Senpai said:

I don’t want to go to matches whilst RD is sill owner. However I have been going to a few each season. My 9 and 11 year old sons both want to go. They don’t quite understand the issues surrounding ownership. If I didn’t take them occasionally then I’m sure I’ll be losing them to some Premiership team. Then when finally the day comes that RD has left I’ll be going to games on my own where I should be having my sons with me. Fans of that age are important for the future and sustainability of this great family football club.

You’re so cruel;)

I wish someone had called The Child Support Agency when my dad started taking me.
  • Options

There are numerous bad owners and it's quite possible we'll have them again in the future - boycotting as far as I can see doesn't touch RD as he's minted.

A boycott with an owner who was really desperate for income might work but this current boycott for me has not been effective.

If every football fan whose club had a bad owner boycotted football would soon disappear. Bad owners are a fact of life.....

So Duchatelet has not done anything different to other owners?

Some people just don't get it.
  • Options

It will be interesting to know how many of the people who've stopped going in the last few years are pure boycotters (i.e. will be back straight away) and how many are more "disillusioned" types (i.e. crap football, 3rd division etc)

After all, it's not as if our away attendances have soared, with loads of extra people going to away watches instead.

The amount of fans who said they'd go to more aways to compensate for not attending The Valley, there has not been an increase. If anything the away numbers has got worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:

Those that go could perhaps should finally join the boycotters for one last push to end the disastrous period of Duchatalet and his team?

I'll go to the football whenever I want, thanks.
  • Options

There are numerous bad owners and it's quite possible we'll have them again in the future - boycotting as far as I can see doesn't touch RD as he's minted.

A boycott with an owner who was really desperate for income might work but this current boycott for me has not been effective.

If every football fan whose club had a bad owner boycotted football would soon disappear. Bad owners are a fact of life.....

You know what I think do you? You're obviously a mind reader.

Wasn't aware I ever said all bad owners are the same. The only point I've made is that RD can live with the losses - a poorer owner would have caved in.

RD will sell up because his experiment has failed - nobody on this site really understands him. The statement from Murray doesn't really prove anything - RD was never likely to run Charlton at a profit whether there was a boycott or not.

RD is a miserable old scote who nobody really understands.

• Options
    Roland has been destroying our club and fans that do something about it whether it is effective or not, are at least trying to do something! We all need to come together as fans when he does go as our objective is to regain fans and get us moving in the right direction. The new owners can I am sure count on our full support in that respect.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

No. You come to the game and show investors what could be.

I am a CARD supporter and follow their direction. I think we that go are right and you are wrong and have let the team and Robbo down.

Happy for you all to make your own decision (I think calling it a sacrifice is pushing it), and look forward to when we can all be one again in just doing such a simple thing as supporting our team.
    Or, alternatively, those that have continued to attend have prolonged Roland's reign, as a larger boycott would surely have increased his losses (the losses apparently are why he is so keen to sell, according to RM).
    Investors do not need to see bums on seats to know what could be.
    Whooosh.
  • Options

Roland has been destroying our club and fans that do something about it whether it is effective or not, are at least trying to do something! We all need to come together as fans when he does go as our objective is to regain fans and get us moving in the right direction. The new owners can I am sure count on our full support in that respect.

Protests and a media campaign seem to have been the most effective in dealing with RD. The main trouble in dealing with him is that nobody really understands him and he can afford to run the club in such an appalling manner.

His ownership of football clubs seems to have been an experiment that has failed big time - when he finally goes I hope the club's finances are not completely destroyed.

I hope we never see his like again....
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

I am a CARD supporter and follow their direction. I think we that go are right and you are wrong and have let the team and Robbo down.

Happy for you all to make your own decision (I think calling it a sacrifice is pushing it), and look forward to when we can all be one again in just doing such a simple thing as supporting our team.
    Or, alternatively, those that have continued to attend have prolonged Roland's reign, as a larger boycott would surely have increased his losses (the losses apparently are why he is so keen to sell, according to RM).
    Investors do not need to see bums on seats to know what could be.
    Whooosh.
    Yawn.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

You know what I think do you? You're obviously a mind reader.

Wasn't aware I ever said all bad owners are the same. The only point I've made is that RD can live with the losses - a poorer owner would have caved in.

RD will sell up because his experiment has failed - nobody on this site really understands him. The statement from Murray doesn't really prove anything - RD was never likely to run Charlton at a profit whether there was a boycott or not.

RD is a miserable old scote who nobody really understands.

I think people realise that the owner has so much money that the loss of revenue is not going to finish him.

As seems to be more apparent now with more and more supporters, is the viewpoint I have held for a long time is that there is a principle involved and why give money to somebody who is f****** us over.

There is not a right or wrong with the attending or non-attending in my opinion.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

To take your argument to it's (il)logical collusion, let's all turn up at The Valley, fill every seat, get the place rocking. That will show RD how much we hate him for what he has done to our club, wont it!

Protests or boycott- you decide?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

I can understand why people go; it is because they can’t not. That’s ok. But to say the team is different from the owner is plainly wrong and just a way to make going feel right in my view.

If no one went he may have sold years back.

If his team hadn’t got relegated and failed to return to the championship he wouldn’t be selling.

But as you say when he is gone we will all be on the same hymn sheet again.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

To take your argument to it's (il)logical collusion, let's all turn up at The Valley, fill every seat, get the place rocking. That will show RD how much we hate him for what he has done to our club, wont it!

Thanks hoof. I have decided. I have taken an active involvement in all protests incl Belgium. No protests this season so no attendances from me.

I can understand that a boycott for some is a step too far; too much disruption to their social life. But to those I say dont hide behind a statement that attending games (and thus supporting the regime) is the correct strategy. Be honest, if only to yourself.
  • Options
    I don't imagine for a moment that RD gives a flying one about how many people dislike him. If all the boycotters came back now we know he's actively trying to sell, it would make the club more attractive to prospective new owners. It'd give substance to Murray's words about a support-base that could increase again. I don't think Roland's interest in the club's supporters would change one iota.

Not attending matches isn't pushing Roland to sell. But attending games and giving more of a vibrancy to The Valley for the rest of the season could lift the club both on and off the field to a brighter future.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

In a sense, yes it would. It would show that at the first sniff of the club leaving his dirty grip, supporters came back. If we suddenly had 15,000 home supporters at the Oxford game he's not going to be thinking 'actually they love me after all, I'll stay a bit longer'.

• Options
    PeterGage said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

To take your argument to its (il)logical conclusion, we could have all stayed away and there would be no club left to go back too!

Calling for those that go now to boycott (which is the suggestion I was responding to) at this late stage is a little nieve IMO, especially as many are season ticket holders and it would make no difference whatsoever.

It also ignores the fact that many think boycotting was wrong, and still do.

Make your own mind up and do what you feel is right, but the suggestion that a few more boycotters would be the ‘final push’ seems to me that someone is trying to suggest that this has been a major factor in his reason to leave?

Personally I put the credit with the actions of the Belgium 20 and CARDS publicity campaign, but mostly with the fact that Rolly is mentally unsound and his plan was doomed to failure from the off.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

Thanks hoof. I have decided. I have taken an active involvement in all protests incl Belgium. No protests this season so no attendances from me.

I can understand that a boycott for some is a step too far; too much disruption to their social life. But to those I say dont hide behind a statement that attending games (and thus supporting the regime) is the correct strategy. Be honest, if only to yourself.
    Your analysis is over simplistic - most Charlton fans want him out and nobody fully understands his logic. There is more than one strategy however difficult you find that to accept.

To state that if I attend games I support the regime is bollocks(in my opinion).

Anyway we'll never agree on this one.
  • Options
    Agree that attending matches isn't a sign of supporting the owner of the club.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Redrobo said:

kentred2 said:

Your analysis is over simplistic - most Charlton fans want him out and nobody fully understands his logic. There is more than one strategy however difficult you find that to accept.

To state that if I attend games I support the regime is bollocks(in my opinion).

Anyway we'll never agree on this one.
    I am a simplistic person, it helps to think clearly