Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for us Boycotters to return?

Comments

• Options

I also bought kids tickets so paid a fraction of an adults tickets price

I thought you were only a kid anyway..........................
  • Options
    Numbers said:

razil said:

Boycotting does hurt the atmosphere and the image of the club which in turn may not help the team. I think for fans to return and get things on the up turn again any new owner will need to do a fair bit more than just turn up to get that process going. I’m not sure the long term damage can be fully reversed without very radical action.

I agree, as not all of the lost fans are boycotters they will/may be back but not until things have improved after new owners IMO
    Well, first game after RD has gone I will be back. Others may not return quite so soon, some may not return at all. If not then you can firmly blame Roland for that. If any new owner used their common they would call in people from the Trust and ask them how to best grow the support again. I'm sure the Trust would recommend they speak to people like Airman Brown, Wendy Perfect etc and take heed of what they say. I'm sure with a decent product on the pitch
    and a few ticket promotions plus better utilisation of Valley Express we could soon significantly boost attendances.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm in awe of anyone who's stayed away. A hell of a sacrifice for the cause.
    I suspect if I'd been boycotting I'd feel it was job done now, and with the team currently showing a bit of spirit and the playoffs again look like a possibility, I think I'd probably choose to return. Increase in crowds and atmosphere could make a difference. But it's down to individual choice of course.

Edit:
    Having seen this on the Meeting with Murray thread I'm pretty sure I wouldn't return until the club was sold....

1. Yes, we did ask the question of was there any possibility of Roland having such an overinflated price intention that no deal could be done. This is what led to RM saying that he was sure that the club would be sold "by the summer as Roland would not want to go into another season with further losses accruing and crowds dwindling".
  • Options

Numbers said:

razil said:

Boycotting does hurt the atmosphere and the image of the club which in turn may not help the team. I think for fans to return and get things on the up turn again any new owner will need to do a fair bit more than just turn up to get that process going. I’m not sure the long term damage can be fully reversed without very radical action.

I agree, as not all of the lost fans are boycotters they will/may be back but not until things have improved after new owners IMO
    Well, first game after RD has gone I will be back. Others may not return quite so soon, some may not return at all. If not then you can firmly blame Roland for that. If any new owner used their common they would call in people from the Trust and ask them how to best grow the support again. I'm sure the Trust would recommend they speak to people like Airman Brown, Wendy Perfect etc and take heed of what they say. I'm sure with a decent product on the pitch
    and a few ticket promotions plus better utilisation of Valley Express we could soon significantly boost attendances.
    i hope this happens - no doubt that the likes of airman have a huge amount to offer in the re build of our support - as i've said before, he is one of the most important figures in our re birth in the 90's - along with the likes of alwyn, murray, simons, curbishley, varney, powell, the community team etc etc - it would be great to see a coming together of all these people and many many more - a re build like we did in the 90's - we were slick and knew how to maximise things - as opposed to the previous years of decline - we can do that again - i firmly believe that and how great would that be
  • Options

I dont get this thread,

One of the reasons for a boycott was to stop RD getting the ticket money,
    If its stopped now he would still get the ticket money,
    Selling doesnr mean sold, money still goes in his back pocket like the Holmes money.

Boycott ends when his association ends so he doesnt get the money

The point if there is one is just discussion!

Blackheath’s article just made me think and I was simply interested in others opinion, which is the point of a forum.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t, as others have suggested it’s a personal thing and as some have strongly said not until he’s gone, which has always been my mantra and most likely will remain until he’s gone.
  • Options
    Same as last year going to one home game this year, football for a fiver (4 of us going), unless he's gone.
  • Options
    What happens should RolandOut retains part of the cloobe which has been suggested might happen. Do you still keep away?
  • Options
    With injured players returning, the Polish striker, if done, I beleive we have a squad to beat anyone in the division. A sale in February will lead to an influx of supporters and positivity that will have us rocket up the table. JUST GO!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cambridge said:

Come on guys, bit of common sense needed here.
    Aim of all this was to get RD to sell, not hurt the team. RD is selling and the team need help with the promotion push. If RD changes his mind, so can you. But refusing to return now IS hurting the team, and doing nothing towards the RD decision. So to be my controversial self, boycotting is not having the intended outcome / aim. Indeed it is doing the exact thing protestors have insisted they didn't want to do.
    Feel quite strongly myself that those who refuse to help the team on the promotion push under the guise of pushing RD (when he's now going) is wrong.

I'll meet you half way on this, the owner puts any money I spend on tickets etc into an account payable to new ownership on his departure and I'll be there. ;)
  • Options
    Until the Belgian is gone, no.
  • Options
    I'll be back when he's gone, a few people have mentioned this. I've been doing other things with my Saturday's, nothing that I won't miss by going back to football but a lot of people have now broken a decades old habit
  • Options
    Cambridge said:

Aim of all this was to get RD to sell, not hurt the team. RD is selling and the team need help with the promotion push. If RD changes his mind, so can you. But refusing to return now IS hurting the team, and doing nothing towards the RD decision. So to be my controversial self, boycotting is not having the intended outcome / aim. Indeed it is doing the exact thing protestors have insisted they didn't want to do.
    Feel quite strongly myself that those who refuse to help the team on the promotion push under the guise of pushing RD (when he's now going) is wrong.

“Going” ls one thing and “gone” is another. I am not going to break a two year boycott on rumours of him selling. When the new owner is sitting in the board room I will be back.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

What happens should RolandOut retains part of the cloobe which has been suggested might happen. Do you still keep away?

Yes (depending upon what he has retained and the terms of that retention).
  • Options
    I personally feel,especially after saturdays performance,that the team spirit is the best it has been for years,the team was a joy to watch.Lennon had some really dodgy moments, but he was encourage d by his team mates,and went on to do his bit.All that is missing is the extra 2-3000 fans,that would lift the atmosphere .Can we not,just for a few more saturdays,forget Roland,and help get the club back to the championship.
  • Options
    He hasn't gone, he's minded to sell, and he's talking, but the club is still in his hands, and until that changes, I won't return on a regular basis.
  • Options

Cambridge said:

Let’s get one thing straight, those staying away are not hurting the team. Teams do not get more points having 8,000 home fans in attendance than 7,000.

In fact, I wished those booing the team in the first half, giving Lennon the bird and booing Nabby Sarr the other week were boycotting as well.
    While this is technically correct, there's also no doubt IMO that a bigger home crowd can make two crucial differences:

1. lift our players to performances by 5% or something which could make the difference in a tight game
    2. influence a referee's decision which could also make the difference in a tight game - ie awards us a late pen after a huge roar from a packed Covered End

Having said that you would need a minimum extra 2-3000 home fans to make those differences and I'm not sure the number of boycotters is anywhere near that. Suspect many of the less committed have simply drifted away instead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are numerous bad owners and it's quite possible we'll have them again in the future - boycotting as far as I can see doesn't touch RD as he's minted.

A boycott with an owner who was really desperate for income might work but this current boycott for me has not been effective.

If every football fan whose club had a bad owner boycotted football would soon disappear. Bad owners are a fact of life.....
  • Options
    a lot of fans its convenient to "boycott" im guilty of it myself, i dont have a st anymore because i try to get to a few away games most midweek and occasional Saturday home games, life just changes and time becomes more precious,the longer you stay away the more you fill the space that you used to use to go charlton and it becomes the norm.
  • Options

I also bought kids tickets so paid a fraction of an adults tickets price

I thought you were only a kid anyway..........................
    i am hence why i can never get the beers in :no_mouth:
  • Options
    RD damaged the atmosphere and the image of the club far more than the fans boycott ever did. Until he is gone my boycott continues.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Cambridge said:

Let’s get one thing straight, those staying away are not hurting the team. Teams do not get more points having 8,000 home fans in attendance than 7,000.

In fact, I wished those booing the team in the first half, giving Lennon the bird and booing Nabby Sarr the other week were boycotting as well.
    While this is technically correct, there's also no doubt IMO that a bigger home crowd can make two crucial differences:

1. lift our players to performances by 5% or something which could make the difference in a tight game
    2. influence a referee's decision which could also make the difference in a tight game - ie awards us a late pen after a huge roar from a packed Covered End

Having said that you would need a minimum extra 2-3000 home fans to make those differences and I'm not sure the number of boycotters is anywhere near that. Suspect many of the less committed have simply drifted away instead
    Technically, I reckon our promotion push would be helped far more by Roland rather than trousering the Holmes sale, free up that money so that Robinson can buy some replacements.
    No doubt that is true but as an individual there's probably not a lot you can do about that whereas the fans at the game can make a difference, however minute, by getting right behind the team
  • Options

I personally feel,especially after saturdays performance,that the team spirit is the best it has been for years,the team was a joy to watch.Lennon had some really dodgy moments, but he was encourage d by his team mates,and went on to do his bit.All that is missing is the extra 2-3000 fans,that would lift the atmosphere .Can we not,just for a few more saturdays,forget Roland,and help get the club back to the championship.

Really sorry but can never forgive or forget Roland...because if it wasn't for that c#*t,we wouldn't have needed to help get the club back there in 1st place...we will get there eventually,abso certain of it,but it won't be with him in charge...he just don't give a shite,so I'm not putting any money into his own pockets cause it certainly won't be going into helping the team win promotion...he don't give a fuck,a few more of us in the stands ain't gonna get us back either...
    The bloke I really wished I could forget about,holds the keys to that & he is just mugging us off at every opportunity...

He sells the club & il back in the stands...100%

• Options
    PeterGage said:

As a 2 year boycotter, I feel insulted that someone should ask the question. I like many others have made a huge sacrifice and feel that remainers should boycott.

I dont accept the tired mantra "support the team and not the regime". The two (regime/team) are inextricable linked by the proverbial umbilical cord.

I cant get my head around the bitch, bitch, bitching about Roland on here by people that go each week and give him money.

Rant over (ah, I now feel much better

Lots of clubs have bad owners as I'm sure you will agree and we might have them again in the future. If nobody goes the club dies.....

Our previous owners were crap as well.
  • Options

There are numerous bad owners and it's quite possible we'll have them again in the future - boycotting as far as I can see doesn't touch RD as he's minted.

A boycott with an owner who was really desperate for income might work but this current boycott for me has not been effective.

If every football fan whose club had a bad owner boycotted football would soon disappear. Bad owners are a fact of life.....

Most bad owners still have ambition for the club that they own even if they can't achieve those ambitions. They invariably just aren't good at running a football club. Roland is different, he doesn't care.
    I choose not to sanction his bad ownership by handing him the price of a match ticket every other week and that will continue until he has gone.