Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cyrille Regis RIP

124»

Comments

• Options
    Great player and seemingly a great bloke. R.I.P.
  • Options
    By all accounts a lovely man and in 1982 was only the third black man to play for England (which feels insane now).

This was his last tweet. A tribute to another genuine hero of the sport.

• Options
    As already been said by others he was a beast of a player. Loads of memories of that WBA team especially when they tore Man Utd a new one at Old Trafford in the late 70's.

RIP Cyrille Regis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqre2b3inQ
  • Options
    Terrific player. RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sad news. One of a very few famous people I have met. Lovely chap. My mum always used to go on about how nice his legs were. Made him blush a little bit when I told him.
  • Options
    Went to college with him when we were training to be an electrician at City and East London college in Bunhill Row
    Great fella Brings it all home when someone passes away that you knew
    Respects to family RIP Cyril Happy fun times in the late 70’s
  • Options
    Saw this on the TV in work this morning. Shocked and really saddened. Still think of the footballers I saw in the 70s and 80s as young men and then someone like Cyril passes and you realise we’re all getting older. This was still way too young though. Top player & man. Rest in Peace Cyril.
  • Options
    Legend RIP
  • Options
    Gutted met him many times and found him a true gent and a legend of British football
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP - an absolute legend of the game at a time when the game despite all it's socio-faults was better in many ways to the product on offer now.

Did he ever play at The Valley - can't think our paths crossed - maybe for Wolves in 93/94?
  • Options
    Always thought he was a very modern type of striker, as back then to me a lot of forwards were either large battering ram target men, or nippy penalty box goal poachers

Regis looks much more like a modern striker, 6ft, athletic and fast, but also with good body strength.
  • Options
    Cracking player, RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP
  • Options
    Sad loss RIP Cyrille
  • Options
    Great player RIP

Ironic that when he was first picked for England, WBA manager Ron Atkinson was asked what is was like to be the Manager of England's first black no 9. He replied "I hadn't noticed he was black". And certainly Ron was the first to embrace the concept that black players could be as good as their white counterparts.

Many year later Big Ron was sacked by ITV for off mic comments of a highly racial nature.

Will the real Ron please stand up?
  • Options
    Lovely article by Jason Roberts, sums up the man
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42690428
  • Options
    RIP far to young very sad.
  • Options
    Moving tribute on BBC 1 (during lead up to Chelsea game).
  • Options
    Dion Dublin was choking up but he did make the point that it wasn't just black people who looked up to him, he was universally popular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad. Was too young to see him burst onto the scene at WBA, but he Dave Phillips and Dave Bennett were exciting players to watch for Coventry. RIP and condolences to the family.